Raal Ribbon Headphones - SRH1A
Jun 26, 2021 at 2:19 AM Post #4,081 of 7,898
The real question is are they for you and the only way you're going to figure that out is to listen for yourself.
Totally agree. But if everyone had a chance to listen and experience at home, why do we need reviewers and forums? :)

Raal do provide a 14-days trial period, however, due to the high customs fees here, it’ll be a high price to pay for this kind of trial (if the result will be to return the earspeakers).

Jun 26, 2021 at 3:55 AM Post #4,082 of 7,898
Raal do provide a 14-days trial period, however, due to the high customs fees here, it’ll be a high price to pay for this kind of trial (if the result will be to return the earspeakers).
Not sure about your government, but there are ways how to get the import tax reimbursed if you prove you are returning the device back.

Jun 26, 2021 at 7:30 AM Post #4,083 of 7,898
SR1a plus HSA1b = addictive. They make you want to stay up all night re-experiencing music never heard like this before. The separation and positioning of vocals and instruments in a giant sound stage with incredible detail and a sense that the HPs make a disappearing act on your head is a revelation. This is a must have rotation in TOTL head phones. I wouldn’t want to use these exclusively just as I wouldn’t want to use the Senn HD 800S as my main HP. Anyone settle on a mid priced set of decent RCA cables for the HSA1b?

Jun 26, 2021 at 8:41 AM Post #4,085 of 7,898
Not sure about your government, but there are ways how to get the import tax reimbursed if you prove you are returning the device back.
You guys need to make friends with better dealers. Find the better middleman. :wink:

Jun 26, 2021 at 11:35 AM Post #4,086 of 7,898
Classical sometimes requires the ability to produce the most explosive dynamics with matching deep bass impact. So I wouldn’t necessarily place it in the same category as vocals and jazz.
I call such an effect “thin dynamics” - lacking the weight to produce the full dynamic swing feel.
Not sure how the SR1a sounds…

Same goes for Jazz/Blues really. Again, you just have to hear them for yourself. The clarity, transparency, imaging and soundstaging I promise you is worth the tradeoff in bass for the Sr1a. Now, if you're contemplating them as a replacement of what you have or as an only headphone then I'd totally understand maybe looking elsewhere. :)

Many thanks for the detailed info @number1sixerfan !

You mention the Stax SR009 as your current personal favorite.
I have thought about electrostats, specifically - Stax, but reviews seem to favor the SR1a in a head2head comparison when using appropriate amplification.
Without getting OT, how does it compare to the SR1a and do you prefer it to the Stax SR009s?
Lastly, what is your go-to amp for both (SR1a and SR009)?

I wouldn't be surprised at all that's the case, especially if talking meet/demo/short window situations. Even if not, still wouldn't be too surprised, as they actually do a lot of the same things really well and preference is pretty important. There are only three things I prefer about the 009: 1) it has the best vocals and overall midrange I've ever heard (ATL3000 deserves a mention here, and also the Susvara is close); 2) It has better bass and is a better all rounder; and 3) I do still prefer the traditional headphone style in comparison to the Sr1a. Now on number 1, obviously subjective, but the Sr1a is the closest I've heard to the 009 in this regard. Number 2 and 3 applies to the TC and Susvara as well. I love the Raal's presentation but sometimes it makes me miss the more traditional headphone enclosure of the others. And definitely the bass is better with them as well. It absolutely could not be my only headphone.

That said, the Raal simply does things the others cannot. It is more open, more transparent and clear than the other 3. It EASILY has the greatest wow factor of the 3, followed by the TC and then the 009. All of that said, there's a lot of overlap with the 009 and the Sr1a. I don't see the point in owning both, I just don't have a need to sell so I'll enjoy them both for now.

My honest recommendation would probably be to go the route of the Raal + other planars. With stax you need a beefy amp and tbvh, I'm a bit unimpressed with the other headphone stat offerings in comparison (009 is really the only flagship in reach of most). I'm not sure I'd spin up a stax rig from scratch unless I just had the money/time to. To put it more clearly, if I could only have one rig, it wouldn't be a stax rig. But having both a dynamic and stat rig is amazing.

Last edited:
Jun 26, 2021 at 11:46 AM Post #4,087 of 7,898
Same goes for Jazz/Blues really. Again, you just have to hear them for yourself. The clarity, transparency, imaging and soundstaging I promise you is worth the tradeoff in bass for the Sr1a. Now, if you're contemplating them as a replacement of what you have or as an only headphone then I'd totally understand maybe looking elsewhere. :)

I wouldn't be surprised at all that's the case, especially if talking meet/demo/short window situations. Even if not, still wouldn't be too surprised, as they actually do a lot of the same things really well and preference is pretty important. There are only three things I prefer about the 009: 1) it has the best vocals and overall midrange I've ever heard (ATL3000 deserves a mention here, and also the Susvara is close); 2) It has better bass and is a better all rounder; and 3) I do still prefer the traditional headphone style in comparison to the Sr1a. Now on number 1, obviously subjective, but the Sr1a is the closest I've heard to the 009 in this regard. Number 2 and 3 applies to the TC and Susvara as well. I love the Raal's presentation but sometimes it makes me miss the more traditional headphone enclosure of the others. And definitely the bass is better with them as well. It absolutely could not be my only headphone.

That said, the Raal simply does things the others cannot. It is more open, more transparent and clear than the other 3. It EASILY has the greatest wow factor of the 3, followed by the TC and then the 009. All of that said, there's a lot of overlap with the 009 and the Sr1a. I don't see the point in owning both, I just don't have a need to sell so I'll enjoy them both for now.

My honest recommendation would probably be to go the route of the Raal + other planars. With stax you need a beefy amp and tbvh, I'm a bit unimpressed with the other headphone stat offerings in comparison. I'm not sure I'd spin up a stax rig from scratch unless I just had the money/time to. To put it more clearly, if I could only have one rig, it wouldn't be a stax rig. But having both a dynamic and stat rig is amazing.
I'd echo this. Instead of overlap between the 009 and SR1a, I see far more differentiating within and convey 009/Susvara as equivalents although with the 009 clearly with the stronger attributes. I also agree stat-land is a hard-press and costly entry as the STAX offerings are mediocre and your favorite dynamic amp designer is simply incompetent when it comes to electrostatic design. The alternative avenues may indeed be the best at a very high cost, they are also a pigeonhole. Unless you do have the money, skip STAX.

Then again, go to TC.

Go directly to TC. Then add SR1a.

Jun 26, 2021 at 12:03 PM Post #4,088 of 7,898
I'd echo this. Instead of overlap between the 009 and SR1a, I see far more differentiating within and convey 009/Susvara as equivalents although with the 009 clearly with the stronger attributes. I also agree stat-land is a hard-press and costly entry as the STAX offerings are mediocre and your favorite dynamic amp designer is simply incompetent when it comes to electrostatic design. The alternative avenues may indeed be the best at a very high cost, they are also a pigeonhole. Unless you do have the money, skip STAX.

Then again, go to TC.

Go directly to TC. Then add SR1a.

Agree here as well. A lot of overlap and even more with the Susvara (009 that is). Quiet as kept, I think the TC is the one I'm most unwilling to part with. I know this will sound weird or crazy, but in ways, the TC is kind of like a mashup of them all, with just insanely impressive bass. It has the surreal openness and imaging that's somewhat comparable to the Raal, detail comparable or better than the 009, etc.. comfort is my only gripe, but I've pretty much gotten over it lol

I don't think it gets enough love for just how good it is. I've been doing a lot of critical listening and taking notes and each time I'm just more and more impressed by it.

But back to the center of the topic, I think the Raal is one of the best TOTL compliments you can have. I have no desire to sell it at any point. Depending on what happens with the Shangri La, I may part with the Susvara/009 due to above mentioned overlap.

Jun 26, 2021 at 12:34 PM Post #4,089 of 7,898
I just spent a couple hours this morning comparing Stravinsky's "Rite" in a favorite performance of mine, Solti/CSO/Decca/1974 in a JVC XRCD24/K2 processed/re-mastered, Japanese pressing issue in 2003 (I think), on my HD800S, 1266 Phi (using the adapter), and SR1a, all on the HSA-1b. One thing that became very clear to me is how easy it is to get all wrapped up in frequency response when transient attack and decay was what made the difference in instruments sounding right to me. I specifically focused on sounds of drum head strikes on bass drum and tympani, bow hairs rubbing on metal strings especially the double basses and cellos, and the metallic edge on brasses. Transient attack and decay of the SR1a really wrings out detail and transparency like no other phone I've owned without getting frazzled at peaks in volume. Everytime I wish for a bottom end like some other phones I do a comparison like this and realize how good the SR1a is. And its been 30 years since I owned Stax (MKIII's and Lambda's of 80's vintage) so I have no way to compare at this point in time.

Jun 26, 2021 at 2:20 PM Post #4,090 of 7,898
Question for the group here, especially with some folks having had issues with the jotunheim R, given the option to buy the SR1a with the interface box or the Jotunheim, which option would you pick?

Also, how good is the jotunheim truly? If Schiit (and some reviews) is to be believed, the Jot bests even really great amps, but I have also read that it is thin sounding compared to using a more muscular amp. To add, I read here that at least one of you has had clipping issues when using it. How has your experience been? I understand the the SR1a are very revealing and will sound "thinner" than a comparable planar, but if the Jot makes it sound even more "thin", I would like to know.

For info, I am planning to use this one of my Anthem (100+ W/ ch) amps normally used for my home theater (but also regarded highly for music).

Lastly, given the used market prices are good, but also the problems people have had with some units, is the risk worth taking?

Jun 26, 2021 at 2:53 PM Post #4,091 of 7,898
Because I originally was planning to buy a HSA1a and because I already had a 2x100W amp I choosed the new interface box (with speaker switch) a year ago. Today I do not regret my choice since I upgraded for tube monoblocks and I would rather buy the silver cable than adding a JotR for about the same price. I plan to mod the interface box to tune the sound following my mood instead of using any EQ/DSP that could degrade sound quality.

10252246.jpg

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/raal-ribbon-headphones-srh1a.890603/post-14814740

Edit : I am wondering if we could do a High Pass Filter with this kind of mod, because I recently managed to pair the SR1a to a ML BF212 subwoofer with great success so I would like to relieve the ribbons from the load of the lows in order to improve even more the mids and highs (currently the bass from my SR1a is augmented but the headphones still play full range).

Last edited:
Jun 26, 2021 at 4:35 PM Post #4,092 of 7,898
Thanks @number1sixerfan and @paradoxper !
Now I’m confused again, and my thoughts turned to the Abyss 1266 TC…
I don’t intend to have multiple headphones, as my main listening is done with a speakers based system. Headphones are for late night listening.
BTW, does the Abyss require a dedicated headphones amp (will the Pass HPA-1 suffice?) or will it work out of a speakers based amplifier (150W at 8 ohms)?

Jun 26, 2021 at 5:25 PM Post #4,093 of 7,898
Thanks @number1sixerfan and @paradoxper !
Now I’m confused again, and my thoughts turned to the Abyss 1266 TC…
I don’t intend to have multiple headphones, as my main listening is done with a speakers based system. Headphones are for late night listening.
BTW, does the Abyss require a dedicated headphones amp (will the Pass HPA-1 suffice?) or will it work out of a speakers based amplifier (150W at 8 ohms)?
Pass HPA-1 will not cut it. Your power amp will and can provide plenty joy with care taken.

If you don't intend on having at least two headphones, pick the Susvara or TC.

Jun 26, 2021 at 8:34 PM Post #4,094 of 7,898
Question for the group here, especially with some folks having had issues with the jotunheim R, given the option to buy the SR1a with the interface box or the Jotunheim, which option would you pick?

Also, how good is the jotunheim truly? If Schiit (and some reviews) is to be believed, the Jot bests even really great amps, but I have also read that it is thin sounding compared to using a more muscular amp. To add, I read here that at least one of you has had clipping issues when using it. How has your experience been? I understand the the SR1a are very revealing and will sound "thinner" than a comparable planar, but if the Jot makes it sound even more "thin", I would like to know.

For info, I am planning to use this one of my Anthem (100+ W/ ch) amps normally used for my home theater (but also regarded highly for music).

Lastly, given the used market prices are good, but also the problems people have had with some units, is the risk worth taking?
I can only relay my experiences, but since I already had a nice sounding and beefy speaker amp (Bryston), I went straight for the Sr1a/interface combo, and never considered the Schiit. About six months ago, a friend of mine ventured by my place with his Jot R, as he felt it was lacking, and wanted to compare it directly with my amp via the interface. To make a long story short, his Jot R went up for sale that week, and I felt even better about my choice. The Bryston delivered the music in a far more effortless manner, whereas the Schiit sounded a little flat and strained when pushed. I hope to give the HSA-1b a listen some day, but considering the price of admission, and the fact that I already own the Bryston, my thinking is that it needs to be a noticeably better combo for me to open my wallet yet again.

Although the Jot R wasn't my cup of tea, I think that in the absence of a good sounding amp, capable of driving the Sr1a/box, it's a cheap way to introduce yourself to the overall character of the Raal's. Hopefully there will be more amplifier options in the future, but until then, I'm standing pat with what I have.

Last edited:
Jun 26, 2021 at 9:04 PM Post #4,095 of 7,898
I can only relay my experiences, but since I already had a nice sounding and beefy speaker amp (Bryston), I went straight for the Sr1a/interface combo, and never considered the Schiit. About six months ago, a friend of mine ventured by my place with his Jot R, as he felt it was lacking, and wanted to compare it directly with my amp via the interface. To make a long story short, his Jot R went up for sale that week, and I felt even better about my choice. The Bryston delivered the music in a far more effortless manner, whereas the Schiit sounded a little flat and strained when pushed. I hope to give the HSA-1b a listen some day, but considering the price of admission, and the fact that I already own the Bryston, my thinking is that it needs to be a noticeably better combo for me to open my wallet yet again.

Although the Jot R wasn't my cup of tea, I think that in the absence of a good sounding amp, capable of driving the Sr1a/box, it's a cheap way to introduce yourself to the overall character of the Raal's. Hopefully there will be more amplifier options in the future, but until then, I'm standing pat with what I have.
Thanks for your input. This is really helpful.

Based on what you mention, I may run this via my Anthem PVA7 (105 W/ch) or Statement (225 W/ch) but just saw that the interface has a max input of 150W. The PVA would be okay but I’m assuming the Statement would be too much for the interface. Any idea if the 150W limit is a hard limit?

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back