Raal Ribbon Headphones - SRH1A
Jun 28, 2021 at 2:44 AM Post #4,111 of 7,871
Because I originally was planning to buy a HSA1a and because I already had a 2x100W amp I choosed the new interface box (with speaker switch) a year ago. Today I do not regret my choice since I upgraded for tube monoblocks and I would rather buy the silver cable than adding a JotR for about the same price. I plan to mod the interface box to tune the sound following my mood instead of using any EQ/DSP that could degrade sound quality.

10252246.jpg

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/raal-ribbon-headphones-srh1a.890603/post-14814740

Edit : I am wondering if we could do a High Pass Filter with this kind of mod, because I recently managed to pair the SR1a to a ML BF212 subwoofer with great success so I would like to relieve the ribbons from the load of the lows in order to improve even more the mids and highs (currently the bass from my SR1a is augmented but the headphones still play full range).
This means inserting a capacitor in series with the signal.

Open the connection of the signal wire and insert the cap in between, either by modding an RCA cable or at the interface box’s binding post.
Best done in front of the power amp, as the necessary cap is much smaller than on the power side.
This way the power amp would be relieved from the low frequencies too.

The size of the cap depends on the x-over frequency and the power amp’s input impedance:
E.g. for a 100 Hz high pass filter you need:
0.16 μF @ 10 kΩ (amp’s input impedance)
68 nF @ 22 kΩ
47 nF @ 33 kΩ
33 nF @ 47 kΩ
16 nF @ 100 kΩ

A 100 Hz highpass is 3 dB down @ 100 Hz, and 9 dB down @ 50 Hz

Best quality caps available are WIMA FKP3 (hard to get), 2nd best WIMA FKP2.

If you want to do it at the power side (between amp and interface box) the cap would be 270 μF for a highpass @ 100 Hz.

2 foil caps (one for each channel) of this value are too big in size to fit into the box, so you could mount them on the binding posts.
https://www.mundorf.com/audio/de/shop/Capacitors/?page=2&sort_by=sorting#
(Mundorf MCap Evo ME-270T3.250, scroll all down to the higher values)
You could use bipolar electrolytic paralleled with a smaller foil cap, but sound quality-wise this approach is questionable.

Last edited:
Jun 28, 2021 at 4:01 AM Post #4,112 of 7,871
I am getting Viva Egoista 845 in a couple of weeks for my AB-1266, pairing it with dCS Bartók. Let's hear how that sounds.

Impossible to get Riviera (unless used) here for a demo, so can't comment on AIC-10, but I read a lot that folks who like classical music liked it over Egoista. I only listen to EDM so let's see!
Did you get to demo the Viva Egoista before you purchase?

Jun 28, 2021 at 4:04 AM Post #4,113 of 7,871
Did you get to demo the Viva Egoista before you purchase?
I should have written it better, sorry for misleading you with my broken english. The unit I am getting is a demo, which means I will have it for 2-3 weeks at home. If I like it, I can keep the demo (as I have paid for it already), or ask them to make me a new unit. If I stick with the demo, it will be cheaper of course. I have a right to return it, in case it does not work for me.

Jun 28, 2021 at 2:03 PM Post #4,115 of 7,871
I am getting Viva Egoista 845 in a couple of weeks for my AB-1266, pairing it with dCS Bartók. Let's hear how that sounds.

Impossible to get Riviera (unless used) here for a demo, so can't comment on AIC-10, but I read a lot that folks who like classical music liked it over Egoista. I only listen to EDM so let's see!
I imagine that should be a remarkable combo

Jun 28, 2021 at 3:21 PM Post #4,116 of 7,871

Be careful. JPS noted issues with the Viva frying drivers. You may want to reach out @cladane whom had many problems and Joe beforehand.

Jun 28, 2021 at 3:30 PM Post #4,117 of 7,871
Be careful. JPS noted issues with the Viva frying drivers. You may want to reach out @cladane whom had many problems and Joe beforehand.
Thanks for pointing it out. I saw the Youtube video. I also asked directly the Viva designed for his side of the story.

Jun 28, 2021 at 3:35 PM Post #4,118 of 7,871
Thanks for pointing it out. I saw the Youtube video. I also asked directly the Viva designed for his side of the story.
Very prudent.

Jun 28, 2021 at 5:41 PM Post #4,119 of 7,871
Very prudent.
I know this story and I also know Cladane. What I can say is that the issue he faced was not linked to the Viva. I don‘t understand why Joe told that it could come from the Viva. I have owned this combo for years as many others and I’m not aware of any other issue. The Abyss 1266 works also well driven by the Viva Sollista which is a speaker amplifier and even more powerful.

Last edited:
Jun 28, 2021 at 6:26 PM Post #4,120 of 7,871
I know this story and I also know Cladane. What I can say is that the issue he faced was not linked to the Viva. I don‘t understand why Joe told that it could come from the Viva. I have owned this combo for years as many others and I’m not aware of any other issue. The Abyss 1266 works also well driven by the Viva Sollista which is a speaker amplifier and even more powerful.
I'm not sure how true this is at all.

What I'm not so certain of is the full context of the resolution there-in.

What seemed, excessive power and or fragility of traces as both the drivers did blow.

Furthermore, it should be illuminated the Viva left some bad taste in the mouth of JPS as under warranty (IIRC) the French dealer was quoted $1k repair.

FWIW.

Last edited:
Jun 28, 2021 at 7:06 PM Post #4,121 of 7,871
The Raal is on its way to me and i should be getting it on Thursday.

I recall, when I borrowed it from my friend previously, I was constantly adjusting the angle of the wings. Maybe itchy fingers.. But do you guys adjust the wings depending on the song/genre, or do u prefer to keep it at a fixed angle all the time?

Also, with the head strap that goes around to the back of the head.. Are we supposed to make it such that the face pads are just in front of the ears, or a short distance forward from them?

Jun 28, 2021 at 7:21 PM Post #4,122 of 7,871

I recall, when I borrowed it from my friend previously, I was constantly adjusting the angle of the wings. Maybe itchy fingers.. But do you guys adjust the wings depending on the song/genre, or do u prefer to keep it at a fixed angle all the time?

Also, with the head strap that goes around to the back of the head.. Are we supposed to make it such that the face pads are just in front of the ears, or a short distance forward from them?

I keep them pretty much the same, which is about halfway out/in. Works great for me for everything. This is in direct contrast from the AKG K1000, which I always felt the need to move based on the song/genre. I'll let someone else answer the second part.

Jun 28, 2021 at 7:23 PM Post #4,123 of 7,871

Whoop WHOOP! Congrats, Roasty!!!

The sound can definitely vary wildly from track to track, but I tend not to adjust the wings much. I keep them at about 25% away from my ears and leave them there (I have to dial in the center channel because I hear better out of my right ear compared to my left). Technically, there is no wrong answer though and do whatever sounds best to you. Just don't forget to adjust the height. Your ear holes should be aligned as close as possible to the dead center of the ribbon drivers - left, right, up, and down. For reference, the sound is noticeably clearer and louder when they are perfectly centered. You'll see what I'm talking about. That means the round, “boat fender” pads will probably ride just in front of your ears.

I personally ditched the back strap as I found it annoying, but it is definitely useful in keeping the SR1a's from falling off your head. Also, you may want to consider picking up a ZMF pad. It makes them much more comfortable: https://shop.zmfheadphones.com/collections/pads/products/pilot-pad

Enjoy and congrats again!!!

Last edited:
Jun 28, 2021 at 8:02 PM Post #4,124 of 7,871

I tend to keep the angle the same and do not use the strap behind my head..I dont find it adds anything

Jun 28, 2021 at 9:44 PM Post #4,125 of 7,871
@number1sixerfan @littlej0e @jlbrach

Thanks for the input!
I didn't know u could do away with the back strap. Always assumed it was for optimal positioning etc. I'll give that a go when the Raal is with me.

I started a thread on Audiogon about speaker cables to hook up to the speaker box. Https://forum.audiogon.com/discussions/warmest-speaker-cables-you-ve-heard

Quite a lot of suggestions. The one of interest to me is the deulund one. I also have a friend who is going to lend me some tellurium black ii cables. Not sure if the cables will play a big role (over say the hsa1b or convolution filters), but I'll give them a go at rolling.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back