Raal Ribbon Headphones - SRH1A
Jun 30, 2021 at 6:58 PM Post #4,141 of 7,885
I agree the bass is impressively punchy when fully closed, but it really throws off the upper mids and makes things sound congested in my opinion.

Also, the comfort of the metal frame touching the ear isn't the best.

If you're listening to the SR1a in this way often, I think you're better off looking at different HP's like Susvara or LCD4 as they will be punchy but also more spacious sounding.
I already have Susvara and to be honest, I prefer SR1a sound w/ flaps closed than Susvara. Definitely the soundstage is narrower as opposed to when the flaps are open, but I don’t feel it’s congested.

In terms of sibilance I find the resolving ability of the sr1a leads to more not less sibilance on songs that are predisposed to it
Yeah this is what I find to be different. I was also expecting that it will reveal more sibilance, but that’s not the case for me.

Jun 30, 2021 at 7:22 PM Post #4,142 of 7,885
An anecdote regarding sibilance and/or harshness in the highs with the SR1a : I remember one track that was way more sibilant when played in high quality from Tidal than the same track played from Youtube. This could echo a recent YT podcast from Abyss headphones where they found Tidal service to be more harsh than Apple HiRes. This tuning in the highs might work well for a lot of headphones/earbuds but not so much with the SR1a it seemed.

Jul 1, 2021 at 1:25 AM Post #4,143 of 7,885
I find fully closed to essentially mitigate all the wonderful qualities of the sr1a...I do not open them as wide as some do but I do open them say 25%...in terms of sibilance I find the resolving ability of the sr1a leads to more not less sibilance on songs that are predisposed to it
Agree.

Jul 1, 2021 at 1:43 AM Post #4,144 of 7,885
Long listening session this evening. The Sr1a is damn good.

Jul 1, 2021 at 9:38 AM Post #4,145 of 7,885
i think i have the newer ribbon/amp interface box (or is it older..?). the one with 2 sets of speaker posts (one for amp in, and the other for speaker out). anyone tried using the speaker out posts with other headphones eg susvara/TC?

Jul 1, 2021 at 9:50 AM Post #4,146 of 7,885
i think i have the newer ribbon/amp interface box (or is it older..?). the one with 2 sets of speaker posts (one for amp in, and the other for speaker out). anyone tried using the speaker out posts with other headphones eg susvara/TC?
So you want to connect your speakertaps with the Raal Box and your Susvara to the speakertaps of that Box?

Jul 1, 2021 at 9:51 AM Post #4,147 of 7,885
Original (that came with my SR1a)
1625147128807.png

The new one has 2 sets of outputs in addition to 2 sets of inputsand a toggle switch, I know I've seen a picture of the rear but the RAAL site shows only the old one.

Jul 1, 2021 at 9:56 AM Post #4,148 of 7,885
So you want to connect your speakertaps with the Raal Box and your Susvara to the speakertaps of that Box?

yeah i just tried it.
it works.. flip of a switch. have to be mindful of the volume though, eg i'm on 40 volume for Raal and 21 for Susvara..
havent determined if the box is affecting the sound to the susvara yet. just wanted to see if anyone else has tried it and heard a difference, or not.

Jul 1, 2021 at 9:57 AM Post #4,149 of 7,885
I knew I'd seen it some where,
1625147846736.png

Why its not showing on the website I don't understand. I'd like to get one myself.

Last edited:
Jul 1, 2021 at 12:47 PM Post #4,150 of 7,885
i tried Amir's EQ settings for the Raal which he posted on his review on ASR. I think it sounds pretty good. please ignore Band 1; i forgot to delete it.

Untitled.jpg

Jul 1, 2021 at 1:09 PM Post #4,151 of 7,885
i tried Amir's EQ settings for the Raal which he posted on his review on ASR. I think it sounds pretty good. please ignore Band 1; i forgot to delete it.

Untitled.jpg
I had been using Amir’s EQ too, it’s good, but completely outclassed by Mitch’s convolution filters.

Jul 1, 2021 at 4:01 PM Post #4,152 of 7,885
If you find a hard metal band to be more comfortable than a soft padded one, cool.
If the metal band touches your head, I can definitely see why you like the pilot pad. When I wear mine without any extra padding the metal band just floats. The wide leather strap and the pads are all that touch my head, and it's extremely comfy.

Jul 1, 2021 at 4:05 PM Post #4,153 of 7,885
If the metal band touches your head, I can definitely see why you like the pilot pad. When I wear mine without any extra padding the metal band just floats. The wide leather strap and the pads are all that touch my head, and it's extremely comfy.

Makes total sense. That’s what I love about this hobby - it’s all deeply personal.

Appreciate the perspective as well. I never assumed anyone in their right mind would actually prefer a metal band over a padded one. To each their own I guess.

Last edited:
Jul 1, 2021 at 9:44 PM Post #4,154 of 7,885
4th day with SR1a and Bakoon, and the combo is just jaw-dropping, I much prefer this over Susvara-Bakoon pairing. The sound is super transparent but full-bodied, has incredible deep bass and slam with stellar imaging and staging. The mids are more seductive than Susvara. The best part is treble, the most natural and realistic treble I’ve ever heard, cymbal crash is so very lively, full of energy, and very very well extended but not harsh & no single trace of sibilance. Simply the best.

Jul 1, 2021 at 10:38 PM Post #4,155 of 7,885
4th day with SR1a and Bakoon, and the combo is just jaw-dropping, I much prefer this over Susvara-Bakoon pairing. The sound is super transparent but full-bodied, has incredible deep bass and slam with stellar imaging and staging. The mids are more seductive than Susvara. The best part is treble, the most natural and realistic treble I’ve ever heard, cymbal crash is so very lively, full of energy, and very very well extended but not harsh & no single trace of sibilance. Simply the best.
Baboon 13r?….can’t be can it?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back