Raal Ribbon Headphones - SRH1A
Jun 5, 2021 at 12:37 AM Post #3,961 of 7,882
Hi guys,
Anybody using the Black Dragon cable with these headphones?
I want to upgrade from the stock cable and need recommendations.
Thanks

Posted a bunch on it before, but for me the bottom line is it's a sidegrade to the stock cable. Warmer, darker, but with a subtle rounding of transients which smears the sound slightly. Definitely more forgiving of (and pleasing with) poor tracks if that's what you're looking for. The RAAL silver wire was a true step up from stock.

Jun 5, 2021 at 6:50 AM Post #3,962 of 7,882
I installed the convolution filters this afternoon. What a difference! The filters do an awesome job of removing a digital edge/ glare - that i didn't know was there. It is so much smoother and more refined. Also, the bottom end added with two of the filters provides a much more solid foundation to all music I have tried and with no bloat. This is the best $250 I have ever spent on audio.

I am intrigued by this, but I am a little confused by the buying process. Do you also need to buy "Hang Loose Convolver" in order to use the filters? I don't see anywhere on their website to buy the filters. Where do you acquire them?

Also, I mainly just listen from amazon music on my computer. Would this process work as a stand alone program that would work for all my computer audio, or does it only work with specific programs.

Thanks

Jun 5, 2021 at 7:49 AM Post #3,963 of 7,882
I am intrigued by this, but I am a little confused by the buying process. Do you also need to buy "Hang Loose Convolver" in order to use the filters? I don't see anywhere on their website to buy the filters. Where do you acquire them?

Also, I mainly just listen from amazon music on my computer. Would this process work as a stand alone program that would work for all my computer audio, or does it only work with specific programs.

Thanks
Learn more about it here: https://audiophilestyle.com/forums/...1a-has-landed/?do=findComment&comment=1128481

Jun 5, 2021 at 9:13 AM Post #3,964 of 7,882
Posted a bunch on it before, but for me the bottom line is it's a sidegrade to the stock cable. Warmer, darker, but with a subtle rounding of transients which smears the sound slightly. Definitely more forgiving of (and pleasing with) poor tracks if that's what you're looking for. The RAAL silver wire was a true step up from stock.
Thanks Shahrose. RAAL is sending me their silver cable to demo.

Moon Audio Stay updated on Moon Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/MoonAudio/ https://twitter.com/MoonAudio https://instagram.com/moonaudio https://www.moon-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@moon-audio sales@moon-audio.com
Jun 5, 2021 at 11:38 AM Post #3,965 of 7,882

Thanks
U need a software program to integrate the convolution filter(s). I have 2 suich programs to do this, ROON Server and JRiver. I only use ROON. Mitch likely provides a zip files for each one of the 3 filters. He did my floor standers so I have some experience in this.

You do not need the "Hang Loose Convolver" to use these new SR1a filters. The HLC is only a utility to help hear each filter without stopping music and changing the settings in ROON or JRiver.

The buying process is not setup in his web site yet for the SR1a filters. I emailed him yesterday and he got back to me with a response indicating a buying process using PayPal and an email. I expect the buying process to be updated in the web site with a download link. However for now you need to contact him directly. I hope to get the PayPal invoice today and get the filters by email later today.

Jun 5, 2021 at 3:39 PM Post #3,966 of 7,882
For those that have the Abyss TC with Superconductor cable and the SRA-1 with upgraded silver cable, is the level of improvement and quality of improvement similar between these two cable upgrades?

Appreciate any feedback on this before I make a decision on whether to get the upgraded silver cable... thx

Jun 5, 2021 at 4:18 PM Post #3,967 of 7,882
By the way, I wanted to mention something in terms of implementation. I could not get the filters to load on my IOS devices (phone or ipad), I had to do it on my macbook. So this means that I must use my macbook as the device I use to control things with roon rather than my ipad. There may be work arounds for this but I am not sure what they are.
I'd sure like to know if there are workarounds as well. I use Roon through my Lumin app via iPad...and would love to get my hands on this filter for my Raal's. I read the linked review of Mitch's filter, and took note of the disclaimer that you can't download the filter to a mobile device....but it didn't hit me until I read your post.

Jun 5, 2021 at 4:53 PM Post #3,968 of 7,882
I'd sure like to know if there are workarounds as well. I use Roon through my Lumin app via iPad...and would love to get my hands on this filter for my Raal's. I read the linked review of Mitch's filter, and took note of the disclaimer that you can't download the filter to a mobile device....but it didn't hit me until I read your post.
Chris from Audiophile Style said that I should be able to see the filters through an ios device once they are loaded into your roon from a mac or PC. That may or may not be true, all I can say is that it does not work like that in my case. I have no choice but to control the system with my macbook.

Jun 5, 2021 at 6:34 PM Post #3,969 of 7,882
I bought the filters today.

1) Send an email to Accurate Sound
2) Pay Invoice by PayPal
3) Get email with attached filters

"thanks for your payment. Here are your filters.

FS1 = neutral
FS2 = neutral plus bass extension
FS3 = neutral plus bass and treble extension

I am sure you already know, but you just need to unzip the main zip, but you don’t have to unzip the individual filters. Just point Roon at each one of the three zip files."

Jun 6, 2021 at 5:57 AM Post #3,971 of 7,882
The filters are amazing. I am selling some gear after hearing this.

1) My dedicated RAAL SR1a DAC, an AudioMirror Tubadour III SE tube DAC, is no longer needed as the Convolution filter and my Gustard X26 Pro is preferred. So anyone looking for a great DAC for the SR1a send me a message.

2) I am selling my Meze Empy tonight. With the sound I am getting with these filters I am not going to listen to other headphones.

Jun 6, 2021 at 4:22 PM Post #3,972 of 7,882
New filters sound great! Less "shouty" upper midrange makes the SR1a sound very natural. I am not against EQ in principle, but most attempts have not worked out well for me. I am listening through the HLConcvolver app to apply the eq to my entire computer system. If Mitch managed to start measuring more headphones and offering them as a "headphone package," I think it might be a home run product for a lot of people.

Last edited:
Jun 7, 2021 at 10:48 AM Post #3,973 of 7,882
I don’t understand this filter thing at all. :thinking:

I am curious though, given all of your positive reactions. $250 for a new setting is kinda strange. It’s like Win10 making you buy a codec for hevc files :thinking:

Agreed. From what I gather, it seems to be a software EQ/filter/enhancement program similar to HQPlayer except you can a/b in real time and has specific settings based on measurements of/for the SR1a(?!?).

Jun 7, 2021 at 10:57 AM Post #3,974 of 7,882
Regarding filters, be sure to check this out for more info if you haven't already

Jun 7, 2021 at 11:30 AM Post #3,975 of 7,882
My comments are also on that linked thread (user yyz). Yesterday I sold my dedicated RAAL SR1a DAC because with the Convolution filters it was no longer needed. I am now using what was the worst possible DAC, the Benchmark DAC3B that I tested with the SR1a. With the filters, it is almost as good as the very best DAC I have, the Gustard X26 Pro. I need the Gustard in another room so I am using the DAC3B now. I can live with this. Without the Convolution filter I was not able too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back