Raal Ribbon Headphones - SRH1A
Mar 24, 2021 at 2:12 PM Post #3,616 of 7,847
Looks like ZMF's Pilot Pad.
Yes, it is and it really makes a big difference. With the thin stock strap, it felt tight on the head and like it was pulling down on my thinning hair! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Last edited:
Mar 24, 2021 at 7:40 PM Post #3,617 of 7,847
A recent SR1a convert here and I absolutely love mine. I use the Chord stack of HMS | TT2 | TToby to drive it and it sounds sublime. Amazing detail retrieval, resolution, clarity, imaging and soundstage. I mainly listen to classical, jazz, acoustic and vocal music so the SR1a seems perfectly suited for what I enjoy the most. The SR1a is also great for ambient electronic but not so good for EDM, hip hop and bass heavy modern pop. It just doesn't have enough bass slam or sub bass to be an ideal fit for that kind of stuff.

For rock, blues, metal and roots-oriented music, I'm not so sure. I feel that there's more detail than I want to hear with genres like these - mainly with highly overdriven electric guitars. It's also very unforgiving for older (50's through most of 80's) analog and lo-fi recordings, even remastered stuff. It's best for modern hi-fi and hi-res recordings IMHO. I still love my LCD-4. It's at the opposite end of the sonic spectrum from the SR1a but that's why I love it. Lots of bass, warmth, forward mids, and lushness are good too. I have the 1266 TC coming very soon so it'll be very interesting to compare that to both and find out where it will sit - physically and metaphorically!

Overall, I absolutely love the SR1a. I know that it isn't for everyone and wouldn't recommend it to someone who prefers a more relaxed and warm/lush presentation. I like treble and even lots of treble as long as it's smooth and sweet and not piercing or harsh. The SR1a has loads of treble energy but in a positive way.

Ed's Home Office 07.jpg

Ed's Home Office 09.jpg

Great setup as I mentioned in another thread.
WRT your impressions, I couldn't agree more, especially with the bolded statements.

The SR1a have, overtime, become my choice headphones. The ones I'd keep on a desert island despite the concessions they make in bass volume (and extension to a lesser extent). It just sounds like real live music in front of me whereas all other cans render variations of the same artificial presentation. IMO, the RAALs emulate some of what make speakers special in recreating music.

The TCs may be my recommendation for overall best headphone by virtue of having the fewest faults, but the RAALs are the most realistic and special. Yesterday I glanced behind my chair five times with the same track thinking the sound emanated from there. It was the SR1a each time. I felt stupid...and amazed. These types of wow moments seldom happen with other HPs for me anymore. The TCs sometimes give me this feeling for well-recorded bass/subbass, the HD800 with some electronic perhaps, but the SR1a pull it off in every session.

Mar 24, 2021 at 7:58 PM Post #3,618 of 7,847
WRT your impressions, I couldn't agree more, especially with the bolded statements.

The SR1a have, overtime, become my choice headphones. The ones I'd keep on a desert island despite the concessions they make in bass volume (and extension to a lesser extent). It just sounds like real live music in front of me whereas all other cans render variations of the same artificial presentation. IMO, the RAALs emulate some of what make speakers special in recreating music.

The TCs may be my recommendation for overall best headphone by virtue of having the fewest faults, but the RAALs are the most realistic and special. Yesterday I glanced behind my chair five times with the same track thinking the sound emanated from there. It was the SR1a each time. I felt stupid...and amazed. These types of wow moments seldom happen with other HPs for me anymore. The TCs sometimes give me this feeling for well-recorded bass/subbass, the HD800 with some electronic perhaps, but the SR1a pull it off in every session.
Thank you!

Yes, I've had the SR1a for about a month now and it's growing on me more and more with each passing day and glorious session. Sometimes, while I'm working and listening, I just stop and lean back on my chair to marvel at what I'm hearing in wondrous amazement and euphoric rush. Goosebumps have become almost a daily occurrence. From this perspective, the SR1a is actually not a good headphone to have on for work! It can get so intense in how it showers your ears with detail and resolution and, when the music you play is well-recorded and well-produced, man, it just makes you stop everything so you can bask in the sonic pleasure. It makes you nod your head forward and muse, "Yeah, this is what it's all about... This is why I do this... Damn, skydiving and bungee jumping can't top this!" :smile:

Mar 24, 2021 at 8:08 PM Post #3,619 of 7,847
as I listen to the abyss tc but looking at my sr1a I have to whole heartedly agree with the above to posts...a special and unique product

Mar 24, 2021 at 8:13 PM Post #3,620 of 7,847

Blasphemer! Really happy you've found your paths of headphones and amps, Shahrose. :beerchug:

Mar 24, 2021 at 8:36 PM Post #3,621 of 7,847
Mar 24, 2021 at 9:07 PM Post #3,623 of 7,847
As I'm saving up for my SR1a, I've run across these. https://www.linsoul.com/products/gold-planar-gl1200 I assume they can't compete, right?
I was curious about those too, when I saw them. I haven’t heard them yet (and I’m not sure where I could get a chance to hear them), but I did some research. That research strongly suggested that they cannot, in fact, compete. I don’t even think they could compete with the HeddPhone either (which I heard and did not like)

Mar 25, 2021 at 3:47 AM Post #3,624 of 7,847
I was curious about those too, when I saw them. I haven’t heard them yet (and I’m not sure where I could get a chance to hear them), but I did some research. That research strongly suggested that they cannot, in fact, compete. I don’t even think they could compete with the HeddPhone either (which I heard and did not like)
That's what my research tells me too. Honestly, the fact that the drivers are so easily user-replaceable is a big factor for me. If the improve the drivers, all I have to do is pop them in.

Mar 25, 2021 at 3:55 AM Post #3,625 of 7,847
My plan is to mate the SR1a with a sub. What I'm struggling to figure out is how I'd mic them to integrate them with a sub, since they're so open. About the only thing that might work it to get some in ear (binaural) mics and feed them to my computer while playing test tones.

Mar 25, 2021 at 12:02 PM Post #3,626 of 7,847
I recently this sparkos aries to listen to my headphones, and yes, I took the full version because it has a true pre-balanced stage that I need to drive my final powersoft that I use with Raal.
In addition to being a very satisfying Amp with my classic headphones, now I have to see that it has a pre-fabulous stage, the sound is clean and dynamic with a low-powerful and deep but fast range, a beautiful 3D presentation that gives the sound a Listening even more realistic, too satisfied!
3E653A15-8261-4C2C-A7B6-585FA0FBDE8E.jpeg

Mar 25, 2021 at 10:35 PM Post #3,627 of 7,847
Just a quick comment, because what I said is inaccurate and is bothering me: the treble is not "temperamental" with my current cheapo class D amp if I wear the SR1a properly. That is, with the vertical centers of the drivers about aligned with my ear canals. I guess I was just trying to find something wrong with the amp, and I was going back to when I wore the SR1a in a way that made it more "exciting" in the treble at the cost of smoothness.

Still looking forward to the Ragnarok 2. Hopefully there will be an audible difference, but I very likely won't be comparing the two directly, because I won't be swapping the cables out between the two amps, since I fear doing so could damage something in an amp or the interface. I guess I could turn them both off, but I fear I also need to unplug, etc. etc. etc. I'm done typing for tonight.

Mar 26, 2021 at 11:55 AM Post #3,628 of 7,847
Just a quick comment, because what I said is inaccurate and is bothering me: the treble is not "temperamental" with my current cheapo class D amp if I wear the SR1a properly. That is, with the vertical centers of the drivers about aligned with my ear canals. I guess I was just trying to find something wrong with the amp, and I was going back to when I wore the SR1a in a way that made it more "exciting" in the treble at the cost of smoothness.

Still looking forward to the Ragnarok 2. Hopefully there will be an audible difference, but I very likely won't be comparing the two directly, because I won't be swapping the cables out between the two amps, since I fear doing so could damage something in an amp or the interface. I guess I could turn them both off, but I fear I also need to unplug, etc. etc. etc. I'm done typing for tonight.
I unplug my amp interface box a lot during the last 3 months as I compared different amps. No problems with that. IO am getting a D-Sonic Class D amp ($1500) next week. If that works with my tube DAC and SET preamp then I have the magic combo for my SR1a.

Mar 26, 2021 at 12:11 PM Post #3,629 of 7,847
Raal's should finally be arriving today if Fedex doesn't delay delivery like it has on every other package during the pandemic lol. Fingers crossed!

Mar 27, 2021 at 1:38 PM Post #3,630 of 7,847
TL;DR: Really enjoying the Raal, incredible wow factor and extremely impressive. I've had the 009 at the top of my list all time, and this is the first headphone I've tried that does some of the things it does best, considerably better & with cohesion. The TC has come close in that regard by matching or even besting the 009 in some technical areas, but the lack of cohesion/presence in the midrange has the 009 clearly ahead for me. The Susvara comes close to the 009 in almost all areas but doesn't match or surpass it (besides bass). For me, that's a really huge realization/experience to have, quite a big deal. The bass *is* lighter than most of the other TOTL cans, but is of high quality and once acclimated to the sound, sounds really good and fits in the spectrum really well. Also, will be looking to replace the Jot R immediately, just a really disappointing (distortion) experience overall with it. (FYI, to avoid the Jot R issues and impact, I have been either listening to songs at moderate volume or leaning towards music with less bass impact and punch to listen louder and more critically)

-------

Whenever I get a substantial new piece of gear, I hold off on major impressions or detailed opinions.. just because they typically develop and mature over time. Will generally do the same here, but I have to say.. I have a really good handle on the SR1a already. Mainly due to them being nearly exactly what I imagined in almost every regard. Having owned the AKG K1000 four times, I expected the Raal to function and sound like a more improved K1000--that is very much the case and it improves on some of the major issues the K1000 had. That said, it still has some imperfections/issues similar to the K1000. Just a couple quick, broad thoughts.. but keep in mind I absolutely expect the sound to improve with a better/sufficient amp) :

1. The Sr1a is top three imo when it comes to realism and wow factor, along with the TC and 009. It's just insane when it comes to the presentation of the music, extremely surreal.. once acclimated to the sound. I can easily identify the differences that stick out for each and can't wait to give it time to come with detailed elaboration on this.
2. Most speaker like headphone experience.. prior to this, I had the L3000 (intimate midrange/bass) and TC (technical ability/openness/bass) as kings in that regard.
3. As hinted at, you definitely need 20-30min to really adjust to the presentation.
4. Just like the K1000, all of the positioning can be a bit daunting to sort out, but there is one key positive difference. To my ears, the K1000 had a sweet spot.. they didn't sound great all the way closed in or all the way open. The Raal sounds really good in all positions.. but that makes it even more annoying lol because it means I'll be tinkering with it more based on the song/genre/mood at the time.
5. Incredibly good with acoustic music. Probably better than the 009 and I have never heard a headphone that does it better than the 009. That's a pretty big deal to me.
6. The bass although really high quality and very tight, definitely is on the lighter side and is just not great with music that has larger quantities of, or, moderately deep/really deep extending bass. This is partly due to the design and both headphones have an issue with it. Again, after more time I'll come back and elaborate. I also have an issue with the Jot R that contributes to this problem, but it isn't just that. Lastly, I can easily say that despite this, it's performance with acoustic, vocal (emphasis) heavy music is totally worth it and that in many cases the bass is sufficient enough.
7. It's not the fault of the Raal, poor recordings for the most part are unlistenable. This is not the case with any other headphone I have. It's a bit of a bummer. Some of my favorite reference tracks, even steamed via Tidal MQ are just unlistenable.

On to the Jot R.... I have to say I am incredibly disappointed in this amp. For starters, it cut off due to heat literally 40min into the very first session.. that has been a major issue ever since. This is in a cool, well ventilated room/setup (this amp wouldn't stand a chance in summer months). Whether using the WA33 as a preamp or not. Balanced or SE Dave. Onto the second and most glaring issue... distortion. The consistent distortion with this amp and the Raal is simply unacceptable. I do want to be clear, it's not an insane level or amount of distortion.. it's low level but is apparent with any song that isn't essentially void of deep bass impact--have to virtually avoid half of my music collection. Again, with the WA33 or not, or SE or Balanced Dave. It doesn't matter, just pretty bad in general. Some distortion, on some tracks, at higher volume.. with this headphone design is to be expected. I am very familiar as the K1000 has the same exact design challenges (just google K1000 distortion or buzzing). However, there is far more consistent distortion than I've ever experienced with the K1000. Couple things on this:

1. With the baffle switch set to off, it is much less of an issue.. but the SQ decreases very noticeably.
2. Baffle switch set to on, it's not an issue at all with music with minimal bass impact/punch
2. I've had tried virtually every volume setting between the WA33, Dave, and Jot R. SQ is even worse with just the Jot R. I've searched this thread and have tried every recommended setting or change. There's a bit less with some positions than others (WA33 @ 9-10 o'clock, Jot R @ noon for example) but still an issue
3. I could assume I have a defective unit, but the amount of consistent calling out on this issue when searching this thread suggests otherwise. Or, if it is, and all of the others also were then it suggests an even larger issue

In any event, I'm going to contact my dealer today. I'll be sending this back if possible and exchanging with an HSA1b asap. I have no desire to try another Jot R unit--at all. And again, can't wait to actually give more detailed impressions and comparisons regarding the K1000, 009, TC etc.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back