Raal Ribbon Headphones - SRH1A
Mar 2, 2021 at 1:34 PM Post #3,571 of 7,883
On YT. Edited my post with link.

I am very curious to see what he find with the Holo MAY. Z just released a review saying there is zero advantage over recent/good DAC (testing with headphones) ; so no more soundstage, no more analog, no more bass or whatever. It adds nothing, and it removes nothing just like what we expect from an accurate DAC. But it is a cool gear nonetheless.

Last edited:
Mar 6, 2021 at 11:34 PM Post #3,572 of 7,883
Listening to the sr1a with dual PSA V1800s crossed at 70 hz, 30% gain in a bed room (12x16x8 feet). Nicholas gunn - thirty one nights. The way the bass is both present (upper bass) but also felt in the subbass is amazing. The drum comes in initially and with flaps in is surprisingly punchy... then the big subbass drop follows and its like the bass just comes out of my head into the room from everywhere and is felt in my body. Subs just enhance the sr1a experience so much.. its fantastic. My subs are probably not even ideally positioned... and i have not reatment. If I had the room treated better im sure it would be even better.

Mar 7, 2021 at 12:43 PM Post #3,573 of 7,883
I have been using the SRH1A for couple of weeks. They are now settling down and sounding great.
my only issue is that I have not been able to get used to this open concept and the feel of the headband in combination with the back strap.
They just feel different to standard designed headphones.
Anybody having the same feeling?

Moon Audio Stay updated on Moon Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/MoonAudio/ https://twitter.com/MoonAudio https://instagram.com/moonaudio https://www.moon-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@moon-audio sales@moon-audio.com
Mar 7, 2021 at 12:57 PM Post #3,574 of 7,883
Quick question for all and thanks in advance for any help! I've seen quite a few posts that suggest the gap between the Jot R and the HSA-1b isn't that great? That the Jot R even does a few things better? Does anyone feel as though the Jot R is limiting at all? Not at all trying to start a crap show lol, just trying to figure out which one to buy the Raal with by tomorrow lol

Mar 7, 2021 at 1:01 PM Post #3,575 of 7,883

Last edited:
Mar 7, 2021 at 1:02 PM Post #3,576 of 7,883
I have been using the SRH1A for couple of weeks. They are now settling down and sounding great.
my only issue is that I have not been able to get used to this open concept and the feel of the headband in combination with the back strap.
They just feel different to standard designed headphones.
Anybody having the same feeling?
I got used to it so its barely noticeable and now my other phones feel more confining and heat buildup is notable.
Also notable is the difference in intrusive ambient noise.
Going from SR1a to my other phones and back sonically is also a big change and takes some bit of listening time for my ears to adjust to the differences and brain to adjust.

Mar 7, 2021 at 1:11 PM Post #3,577 of 7,883
Quick question for all and thanks in advance for any help! I've seen quite a few posts that suggest the gap between the Jot R and the HSA-1b isn't that great? That the Jot R even does a few things better? Does anyone feel as though the Jot R is limiting at all? Not at all trying to start a crap show lol, just trying to figure out which one to buy the Raal with by tomorrow lol
I don't feel the gap is that big, was listening to both yesterday side by side (doing that now for over a month). A reason to own the HSA-1b aside from sound is it also drives my other phones, whether they are high or low sensitivity, as well as I hoped for.

But, because we all hear it differently and use different components I feel sometimes I just need to spend some money (within my budget) to find out for myself and to satisfy my own curiosity. Nobody can tell you how you'll hear it, they can only tell you how they hear it.

Mar 7, 2021 at 1:44 PM Post #3,578 of 7,883
I don't feel the gap is that big, was listening to both yesterday side by side (doing that now for over a month). A reason to own the HSA-1b aside from sound is it also drives my other phones, whether they are high or low sensitivity, as well as I hoped for.

But, because we all hear it differently and use different components I feel sometimes I just need to spend some money (within my budget) to find out for myself and to satisfy my own curiosity. Nobody can tell you how you'll hear it, they can only tell you how they hear it.

Helpful perspective. I already have a capable headphone amp so that's exactly why I ask. I think the Jot R may make sense to start with.

Mar 7, 2021 at 2:01 PM Post #3,579 of 7,883
Tough to beat the Jot R when you consider the price.

Mar 7, 2021 at 2:20 PM Post #3,580 of 7,883
the jotr is a great bargain...it does a great job and now will serve as my travel amp to go along with my sr1a when I go on long trips....the hsa-1b is better but the jotr is no slouch ....the big advantage with the hsa-1b is its ability to play other HP's very well....it is not hyperbole to say that it could be the only amp one needs to own...only with the susvara is it even a question and I think it drives the susvara very well...IMHO the jotr is actually a bit more powerful than the hsa-1b with my sr1a....it find it easier to get the volume levels on the jotr for whatever reason but I find the hsa-1b a more refined listen..I saw somebody sell a jotr for somewhere near 500 bucks used the other day...what a steal IMHO with the jotr making the combo less expensive than a new retail utopia or LCD-4

Last edited:
Mar 7, 2021 at 2:48 PM Post #3,581 of 7,883
the jotr is a great bargain...it does a great job and now will serve as my travel amp to go along with my sr1a when I go on long trips....the hsa-1b is better but the jotr is no slouch ....the big advantage with the hsa-1b is its ability to play other HP's very well....it is not hyperbole to say that it could be the only amp one needs to own...only with the susvara is it even a question and I think it drives the susvara very well...IMHO the jotr is actually a bit more powerful than the hsa-1b with my sr1a....it find it easier to get the volume levels on the jotr for whatever reason but I find the hsa-1b a more refined listen..I saw somebody sell a jotr for somewhere near 500 bucks used the other day...what a steal IMHO with the jotr making the combo less expensive than a new retail utopia or LCD-4
Appreciate the feedback, just ordered the combo. The amp situation has been the biggest hold up for me. I already have two $5k+ amps and have been hesitant in having another. I think ideally though, I would love one amp that can replace the WA33 and just use one instead. May even need to look into one of the amps out there that can power stats and dynamics/planars/sr1a, that would truly be ideal.

Mar 7, 2021 at 8:17 PM Post #3,582 of 7,883
I’d go JotR and hold until one of the knowledgeable amp builders take in the design. In my conversations I’ve not gotten a great feel for the RAAL amp. Given the price the reports of multiple blown fuses the JotR is a safe and cost effective bet.
I would pair the sr1a with a wetter/warmer dac. The yggy and Sonnet Morpheus sound sublime with these headphones

Mar 7, 2021 at 8:38 PM Post #3,583 of 7,883
the has-1b fuse issue is not an important one...the early ones had a fuse that needed replacing...other than that a terrific amp

Mar 7, 2021 at 8:42 PM Post #3,584 of 7,883
I'm still on the stock fuse that came with my unit and it survived a couple of power outages and power restarts. Don't know if the fuse in mine is the same as the earlier units.

Mar 8, 2021 at 6:25 AM Post #3,585 of 7,883
the has-1b fuse issue is not an important one...the early ones had a fuse that needed replacing...other than that a terrific amp
The concern is not for the fuse itself, or even necessarily safety, but for the design choices that let that fuse blow. I don't have one here in front of me, and I've never heard it, but from the photos it looks like the power supply caps are really getting hammered.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back