Raal Ribbon Headphones - SRH1A
Feb 22, 2021 at 6:39 AM Post #3,556 of 7,885
I have no issue using the Loki's 20Hz band for those recordings that sound more satisfying with a little extra oomph in that bottom octave. Not all recordings need help, seems to depend on the engineering at the recording session. The problem with EQ is the usual application of "if an ounce is good a pound must be better", and it's just too easy to over do it. I spent this past weekend comparing the Balanced input with the SE input with Loki (both inputs driven by Yggdrasil 2), in on my HSA-1b. My thought processes tell me the Balanced input should sound more transparent but it just wasn't that much, if any more, to my ears. And the added oomph when needed was the difference between wanting to listen and not being engaged in the process with those CD's I felt needed help. Initially I thought that CD's from analog masters were most in need but I listened to a few that were over the top with bass. There is the probability that when the original session tapes were remastered for CD the frequency response was re-engineered to pump up the bass. (Being CD only I have no experience with EQ programs available thru the PC for downloaded content).

On a side note; I wish the volume control detentes had been built in 1 db steps instead of 2db steps between 10:00 and 2:00 on the knob. I was not able to get precise db readings between the Balanced and SE inputs.

Feb 22, 2021 at 7:45 AM Post #3,557 of 7,885
Yes, some of the cds do not require Loki with SR1a at all. A perfect example would be Fleetwood Mac albums, I mean from s/t onwards up to Tusk (the only title when the remaster is considered better) is just pure sonic heaven. Sound presentation on these must be very close to the sound of the original vinyl editions.

Feb 22, 2021 at 10:52 AM Post #3,558 of 7,885
@tunes
A Woo Audio stand with a glass dome?
Where did you get the glass/plastic dome?

Last edited:
Feb 23, 2021 at 11:04 PM Post #3,559 of 7,885
Got a BBE 282iR Sonic Maximizer ($120 @ Amazon) a couple of weeks ago. It makes the SR1a even closer to perfect to me, with no need to EQ on top of what the Maximizer does. The increase in perceived clarity/realism while still adding bass presence, body, and euphonics is amazing. When I turn the Maximizer off, the sound becomes dead and muffled in comparison. I now have no interest in upgrading my amp or RMA'ing my broken Jotunheim R, since doing so will do basically nothing in comparison to the Maximizer's effect.

I have the "Lo Contour" (bass EQ with extra processing; is in effect a "lower end body + euphonics" dial, to my ears) set to slightly above the middle, with the "Process" (treble EQ with extra processing; mostly a "clarity" dial, to my ears) set to the middle.

The one issue that I have with the Maximizer, that also proves that it is doing more than just EQ'ing, is that higher-frequency sound can change in intensity depending on what else is going on in the mix (I'm sure it affects more than just this range, but this is where it is most noticeable). For example, if I am playing a video game with a wind sound effect, and also listening to a podcast, the wind's higher frequencies are quite a bit louder when people are talking versus silence. Not noticeable the vast majority of the time with only music playing, though.

An additional warning: based on my experience in this hobby, I am garbage at detecting timbre *, so I have no idea if it ruins that! All that matters to me is "this sounds real" (clear and lively) vs "this sounds like a recording" (muffled and muddy), and the Maximizer makes pretty much everything sound more real to me, minus the times I notice the issue above.

Kinda sucks to be pretty much done with upgradeitis; I liked it when I was able to look forward to hearing something better. I might end up getting the Audeze LCD-XC, since one thing I'm missing is a high-end closed headphone that actually sounds good to me. I feel covered on IEMs with the FiiO FH7 (I don't use IEMs except in certain special circumstances, so I don't feel a need for the best), and I'm obviously covered on open headphones.

* For example, I don't hear anything special from my (not selling it; don't bother asking) ZMF Verite Closed (Monkeypod), just a boring, too-muddy tuning that I find to be disappointingly "meh" on its own, and to be complete garbage when comparing it to the SR1a (it is very much akin to going from a 22KHz sample rate to 44KHz).

Feb 24, 2021 at 9:50 AM Post #3,560 of 7,885
I got my SR1a and HSA-1b Friday.
Out of the box they sounded amazing but as I was using them more over the weekend not so much and notice some changes in the bass (not as prominent as before).

I had this kind of experience when burning in dynamic headphones more noticeable with the Ultrasone Edition 9.

I am wondering if is the same thing with the SR1a... what is your experience? Do they need burn in and how long?

I know some people do not believe in burn in effect. I respect that. In my case I do.

Moon Audio Stay updated on Moon Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/MoonAudio/ https://twitter.com/MoonAudio https://instagram.com/moonaudio https://www.moon-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@moon-audio sales@moon-audio.com
Feb 24, 2021 at 3:09 PM Post #3,561 of 7,885
I got my SR1a and HSA-1b Friday.
Out of the box they sounded amazing but as I was using them more over the weekend not so much and notice some changes in the bass (not as prominent as before).

I had this kind of experience when burning in dynamic headphones more noticeable with the Ultrasone Edition 9.

I am wondering if is the same thing with the SR1a... what is your experience? Do they need burn in and how long?

I know some people do not believe in burn in effect. I respect that. In my case I do.

When I got both the HSA1b and JotR, the burn-in was easily noticeable and not always positive throughout. I've noticed this with most gear I've owned, it can get worse before getting better. The SR1a burned in too but it was more subtle IME.

Forgot to mention, it took about 80-100 hours for most of the changes to occur.

Last edited:
Feb 25, 2021 at 9:00 AM Post #3,562 of 7,885
@Shahrose, thanks for the information. That’s what I was expecting and is my same experience with most gear too.

Moon Audio Stay updated on Moon Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/MoonAudio/ https://twitter.com/MoonAudio https://instagram.com/moonaudio https://www.moon-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@moon-audio sales@moon-audio.com
Feb 25, 2021 at 4:26 PM Post #3,564 of 7,885
Anyone have success with integrating 1+ subwoofers to reinforce the bass?

Also anyone try a tube preamp to add more body to the sound?

Feb 25, 2021 at 4:33 PM Post #3,565 of 7,885
The best combo I have tested was the CODA CSiB integrated Class A first 18 watts and 150 at 8 Ohm. The best pairing for the SR1a with the CODA was the AudioMirror Tubabour III SE DAC (tube based). It added a nice body to the sound with lots of details. I also tested it with the Krell K-300i (90 watts Class A) and the AMT3SE tube DAC was also great. I sold the CODA a few minutes ago (for the second time in 2 weeks) and will go with the Krell for the SR1a. My 2 Class A integrated amps with an external tube DAC was exactly the sound I was after with the SR1a. Clean, detailed, with body, and power.

I do not need 2 integrateds now and the CODA was easier to sell.

Feb 25, 2021 at 6:15 PM Post #3,566 of 7,885
The best combo I have tested was the CODA CSiB integrated Class A first 18 watts and 150 at 8 Ohm. The best pairing for the SR1a with the CODA was the AudioMirror Tubabour III SE DAC (tube based). It added a nice body to the sound with lots of details. I also tested it with the Krell K-300i (90 watts Class A) and the AMT3SE tube DAC was also great. I sold the CODA a few minutes ago (for the second time in 2 weeks) and will go with the Krell for the SR1a. My 2 Class A integrated amps with an external tube DAC was exactly the sound I was after with the SR1a. Clean, detailed, with body, and power.

I do not need 2 integrateds now and the CODA was easier to sell.

Thoughts on the bass of the sr1a?

Feb 25, 2021 at 6:26 PM Post #3,567 of 7,885
Thoughts on the bass of the sr1a?
It is not as strong as my Meze Empy but I feel the bass is goosed up on the Meze. If you like a lot of bass then I do not think the SR1a will satisfy. For me it sounds like it has the correct amount of bass.

A good analogy in 2 channel is listening to the second disk from Santana: The Woodstock Experience. I think it was the first song that has some noticeable bass. I was demoing the Paradigm Person 9H with in-built powered subwoofers. The bass line on the first song was huge. I had never heard a bass guitar like that. However, I felt that likely was not how it sounded at the concert. The dealer had goosed up the bass to impress people.

Today I listed to the same track on my Thiel CS3.7 (which is a little bass shy) with my bass strong Krell K-300i integrated. Now this combo sounded like what I would have expected at the real event. The bass was there but did not jump at you in an unnatural way.

With the Meze I feel the bass jumps out you a bit in an unnatural way. With the SR1a I feel that the bass sounds for the most part realistic. Maybe a little bass shy but nothing that I think about.

Feb 25, 2021 at 6:26 PM Post #3,568 of 7,885
very accurate,good solid bass but lacking the sub bass rumble of say the abyss or lcd-4..the sr1a has ruined all other HP's for me...I love my abyss and susvara...that said the sr1a is just so special and different...when I listen to it after the susvara or abyss it at first sounds lean and missing the sub bass but as I listen I realize I hear more detail than I have ever heard before, the soundstage is so huge and best of all each instrument is so easy to listen to and hear indepently in its proper space...it is awkward to wear and a pain in the ass that you need special amping etc but it is the only "different" and special HP I have heard...I am not saying it is better than the abyss or the susvara...only that it is the most interesting and different product I have bought in years

Last edited:
Mar 2, 2021 at 1:29 PM Post #3,569 of 7,885
In three hours TylersEclectic will begin a live comparison between Susvara and SR1a. He might also use the infamous Holo MAY R2R DAC as a source as the preview picture suggests. Chat is already open ; it would be cool if several SR1a owners could participate. It would be even cooler if we could test simulteanously the same track with our setup and share our results live in the chat.

Also anyone try a tube preamp to add more body to the sound?
What would have the biggest influence between tube DAC, tube pre-amp and tube amp? Personnally I have tube monoblocks amp but did not test back to back with solid state.

Last edited:
Mar 2, 2021 at 1:32 PM Post #3,570 of 7,885
In three hours will begin a live comparison between Susvara and SR1a. Chat is already open ; it would be cool if several SR1a owners could participate. It would be even cooler if we could test simulteanously the same track with our setup and share our results live in the chat.

What would have the biggest influence between tube DAC, tube pre-amp and tube amp? Personnally I have tube monoblocks amp but did not test back to back with solid state.
Where is this being hosted?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back