Raal Ribbon Headphones - SRH1A
Jan 23, 2021 at 5:50 PM Post #3,376 of 7,847
for an amp that on paper isnt all that powerful when used with traditionally HP's even out of the ribbon output it sure does a hell of a good job
I recently got the HSA-1b. It is amazing for the SR1as; like a big improvement from the JotR. But, there's not enough power for the Susvaras, even with the Ribbon output. I mean, it sounds good, for sure, but the bass is lacking for hip-hop. I find that I prefer the Susvaras out of the WA33, where they sound better and have better bass. I don't regret buying the HSA-1b though. It's so, so good with the SR1as

Jan 23, 2021 at 6:07 PM Post #3,377 of 7,847
I do not listen to hip-hop so I can't comment but I think the hsa-1b do a darn good job with the susvara and with the sr1a...well, sublime...

Jan 23, 2021 at 6:39 PM Post #3,378 of 7,847
Musical genre preferences can be meaningful when it comes to choosing equipment that complements and delivers what's anticipated for a specific type.

Jan 23, 2021 at 7:00 PM Post #3,379 of 7,847
I tend to agree, if I listened to hip hop rather than acoustic jazz, blues and classic rock I assume my preferences might well be very different in amp and HP

Jan 23, 2021 at 7:05 PM Post #3,380 of 7,847
for an amp that on paper isnt all that powerful when used with traditionally HP's even out of the ribbon output it sure does a hell of a good job

There are better amps for the Susvara for less money but I agree, overall, the HSA1b is a compelling package because of its ability to drive anything fairly well.

Jan 23, 2021 at 10:28 PM Post #3,381 of 7,847
actually, the hsb-1b is pretty much as good as most ss amps I have heard...surprisingly so....are there better?...absolutely but the total package is quite impressive

Jan 23, 2021 at 10:31 PM Post #3,382 of 7,847
I recently got the HSA-1b. It is amazing for the SR1as; like a big improvement from the JotR. But, there's not enough power for the Susvaras, even with the Ribbon output. I mean, it sounds good, for sure, but the bass is lacking for hip-hop. I find that I prefer the Susvaras out of the WA33, where they sound better and have better bass. I don't regret buying the HSA-1b though. It's so, so good with the SR1as
I have only listened to the wa33 a few times at canjam and it was interesting but tubes are too much work for me and too difficult to keep in my room as it is set up..that said it is twice the cost of the hsa-1b and only drives standard HP's so there is that!

Jan 23, 2021 at 10:37 PM Post #3,383 of 7,847
I have only listened to the wa33 a few times at canjam and it was interesting but tubes are too much work for me and too difficult to keep in my room as it is set up..that said it is twice the cost of the hsa-1b and only drives standard HP's so there is that!
Hahaha...true! I do like that I now have a solid state hp amp to use with my headphones when I want a change.

Also, I can’t believe how good the HSA-1b sounds with the SR1a. I’m using the WA33 as a preamp too. I finally am happy with the power and slam of the bass on SR1as. The combo is just amazing. Coming from the JotR, I think the HSA-1b is a big improvement. Definitely recommended

Jan 25, 2021 at 6:43 PM Post #3,386 of 7,847
NOTE: just to not waste anyone's time here, this post is about the RME ADI DAC 2 FS (with the SR1a).

To update on my last post, I decided to get an RME ADI DAC 2 FS instead of getting a high-end amp, and I am happy that I did! One of the things I said I wanted from an amp upgrade was for the SR1a to sound better at higher volumes. Well, it looks like my cheap Class D amp wasn't the cause of that problem. On the RME, I can crank the volume up and it still remains clear and coherent (as opposed to being a messy mash of sound and noise), which is not something I have experienced from headphone listening outside of my Stax SRS-2050 II Basic combo. I also like that changing the volume on the RME doesn't affect the digital volume setting in Windows (which is always 100%), so I just leave my amp's volume dial set to about halfway (as with many cheap amps, changing the volume dial changes the stereo balance), and control the volume as I prefer with the RME. As for EQ, all I've really done so far is set the RME's bass dial to the max (+6 dB), which seems about "correct" to me - quite audible, still very well defined, and strong on the tracks that need it, but not overbearing or causing some common bass boost issues like bleeding into the lower mids. Also, I have hearing differences between my two ears, so I plan to eventually get around to using the "dual EQ" feature of the RME to attempt to correct for those imbalances, allowing me to more fully hear what the SR1a is capable of.

I am considering getting a Sony STRDH190 stereo receiver (just $150, and offers 90 WPC RMS, at least according to testing results in its manual), just to see if changing the amp makes a noticeable difference to me. If it does, I'll more strongly consider going through the (considerable, for me) effort of RMA'ing my fried Jotunheim R. As for getting an expensive amp, no; if I want to upgrade, I'll just RMA the Jotunheim.

Jan 25, 2021 at 7:46 PM Post #3,387 of 7,847
actually, the hsb-1b is pretty much as good as most ss amps I have heard...surprisingly so....are there better?...absolutely but the total package is quite impressive

My sentiments as well!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back