Raal Ribbon Headphones - SRH1A
Dec 31, 2020 at 3:57 AM Post #3,256 of 7,847
Yes, really distorted. I'm surprised he came up with that EQ and posted it.. Because it really doesn't work well. I even tried it with varying wing positions and all didn't sound good.

Well, I have just asked to him directly :)

Dec 31, 2020 at 10:01 AM Post #3,257 of 7,847
Having had the sr1a (w/ jot r) for all of one day, I gotta say there's a definite 'wow' factor to it. Sitting down and listening to it really feels like an experience..like I'm in my own private listening party..

I've only experienced the headphone side of hifi..the only speaker I remember buying/experiencing is the boss iphone sounddock series from 2013ish. As such the sr1a sounds particularly different from anything I've experienced. I'm still trying to take it all in/process this type of sound. It might be a little while until I truly know what to make of the sound hitting me in this sort of way. First impression is definitely a (+) though.

Dec 31, 2020 at 11:10 AM Post #3,258 of 7,847
Yes, really distorted. I'm surprised he came up with that EQ and posted it.. Because it really doesn't work well. I even tried it with varying wing positions and all didn't sound good.

I use a very similar EQ without any distortion, but it required a good bit of headroom management.

Dec 31, 2020 at 11:11 AM Post #3,259 of 7,847
I use a very similar EQ without any distortion, but it required a good bit of headroom management.

I tried lowering the overall gain as well. How much did dB headroom did you use?

Dec 31, 2020 at 11:25 AM Post #3,261 of 7,847
I have 9db on the DSP, and headroom management running as well.

May I ask if Headroom Management is useful only when Gain is added with PEQ ,and not subtracted ?
I am asking because I would like to only keep the Peak/Dip PEQ Band negative values of the PEQ posted.

Dec 31, 2020 at 12:28 PM Post #3,262 of 7,847
May I ask if Headroom Management is useful only when Gain is added with PEQ ,and not subtracted ?
I am asking because I would like to only keep the Peak/Dip PEQ Band negative values of the PEQ posted.

The best way to test would be to flip it on but set it to 0db, then turn on the clipping indicator. If you ever see your quality light turn red, you should increase it from 0db to something higher. If you don’t, headroom management would not be necessary.

Dec 31, 2020 at 6:14 PM Post #3,263 of 7,847
Just drove home with the SR1a and the HSA-1b to demo. I will be comparing it with the AHB2 going into the amp interface.

I have a Delta Sigma Matrix DAC and a Sony SCD-1 SACD player with Vacuum State V5+ mods. These 2 will be my sources into my Benchmark HPA4 preamp and also the RAAL HSA-1b.

This is going to be my COVID New Years party. I must be becoming an audio geek because I am excited to do this.

I hope I do not like the HSA-1b more than the AHB2. I cannot afford it now.

Dec 31, 2020 at 8:16 PM Post #3,264 of 7,847
my guess is you will love the hsa-1b as I do....

Jan 1, 2021 at 12:41 AM Post #3,265 of 7,847
I posted this on a Thiel Speaker thread. I will also post the same thing here. I used the stock cable but I maybe able to get the new RAAL cable next week to test with the HSA-1b. It likely won't be good with the AHB2.

On New Years eve here in California I am hunkered down and listening to a new headphone and new headphone amp that sounds so much like my Thiel CS3.7. Today, I managed to score demo units of the RAAL SR1a ribbon headphone and the RAAL HSA-1b headphone preamp/headphone amp. This headphone can be driven either by 2 channel amps, a special Schitt headphone amp ($800), or likely the very best combo, the RAAL HSA-1b (what I have now for demo).

Why am I writing about this on the Thiel thread? I am posting this here because these beauties sound like my Thiel CS3.7. These headphones are supposed to be the most speaker like headphones in the world. I have to agree. they give a very nice forward sound and not the inside your head headphone sound.

There is a rave review on AudiophileStyle.com on this headphone. Where the guy is saying is it good as his $60K Wilson speakers. I can actually see that. This is very much like my Thiel CS3.7. I have the Thiel's running great and these phones sound like it.

Compared to my $3K Meze Empy headphones these RAAL SR1a blow them out of the water.

I tried these headphones with my Matrix DAC, Benchmark preamp, and the Benchmark AHB2 amp and it was a little too strong on top. It was also a little underpowered. I am going to get a Halo May KTE R2R DAC for the Thiel system in the future and that will lower the high temperature from my Delta Sigma Matrix DAC I am using today. I also tested the AHB2 with my warm sounding Sony SCD-1 SACD player connect to my preamp which was connect to an AHB2. This sounded a bit like the HSA-1b but it was a little underpowered compared to the dedicated headphone amp (damn it cost $4k). This was a single AHB2 in stereo.

These headphones slurp up all the current from the single AHB2. I have a second AHB2 coming next week (I hope) and I will try to test it out with close to 600 watts at 6 ohm. The dealer I got this from loves the HSA-1b headphone amp but he also says a pair of Bryson 4B-SST in mono putting up 600+ watts is better than a single AHB2. So these are very power hungry if you use a 2 channel amp.

I am definitely getting the SR1a headphones but will think my AHB2's will also work with a warmer DAC. If I had the cash I would just get the HSA-1b to drive them.

Happy New Year.

Last edited:
Jan 1, 2021 at 2:40 AM Post #3,266 of 7,847
Damn it. The RAAL HSA-1b is so much better than the AHB2 in stereo. I think after more listening even a mono pair won't be as good. I think crossing the Amp Interface and also the speaker wires make it an unfair fight for 2 channel amps.

I love my AHB2 on the speakers though.

Jan 1, 2021 at 1:12 PM Post #3,267 of 7,847
Funny you should ask...Raal/requisite have a new silver cable coming out shortly as an upgrade. I've been listening to it for the past week or so and I absolutely love it! It's opened up the sound staging and transparency over the stock cable and when coupled with the HSA-1b + Chord DAVE, personal audio just doesn't get any better to my ears. MSRP will be $1050 USD and it is beautifully constructed and sounds sublime! I will be covering this entire setup (including the cable) in my upcoming HSA-1b review. :)

Color me intrigued about this cable.

Jan 1, 2021 at 2:36 PM Post #3,269 of 7,847
Funny you should ask...Raal/requisite have a new silver cable coming out shortly as an upgrade. I've been listening to it for the past week or so and I absolutely love it! It's opened up the sound staging and transparency over the stock cable and when coupled with the HSA-1b + Chord DAVE, personal audio just doesn't get any better to my ears. MSRP will be $1050 USD and it is beautifully constructed and sounds sublime! I will be covering this entire setup (including the cable) in my upcoming HSA-1b review. :)

1050 USD for cable ? Where are we going...

Jan 1, 2021 at 2:38 PM Post #3,270 of 7,847
1050 USD for cable ? Where are we going...

I do also like the stock cable. Much better than the stock cable with the Meze Empy. The RAAL and Meze are such different sounding headphones. I like both.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back