Raal Ribbon Headphones - SRH1A
Dec 21, 2020 at 6:01 AM Post #3,151 of 7,883
Also - anyone else’s cables get really twisted up for no apparent reason?? It’s like pixies come in the night and plait them!
82E710C7-B229-47E8-860D-B9D3C01BDB0C.jpeg

FD3AC24B-4A1F-47EA-98C1-F0301E0B4F0B.jpeg

Last edited:
Dec 21, 2020 at 10:02 AM Post #3,152 of 7,883
I've never seen any indication that the ribbon capsules should be removed. I see some fuzz in mine from the outer grates, but when I slide the ribbon capsule out it's pristine. If you did want to clean the headphones, I'd remove the capsule first, put it in an anti-static bag, then clean the housing. I don't see a particular need unless it's very dirty, though. These are not designed to be dainty.

Dec 21, 2020 at 10:06 AM Post #3,153 of 7,883
I'm running Nordost Heimdall between my Bryston and the interface box. It was a noticeable improvement over the supplied cable. I'm sure the Kimber will work fine. When you get the headphones, try the stock cable for awhile....get the measure of them, then swap 'em out for the 4TC's. That should tell the tale.
Thanks. What about a cable from the energizer box to the headphones?

Moon Audio Stay updated on Moon Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/MoonAudio/ https://twitter.com/MoonAudio https://instagram.com/moonaudio https://www.moon-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@moon-audio sales@moon-audio.com
Dec 21, 2020 at 11:11 AM Post #3,154 of 7,883
Thanks. What about a cable from the energizer box to the headphones?

For now, I'm riding with the stock cable. I've only had the Raal's a month or so, but I'm considering trying a Moon Audio Black Dragon cable in the future.

Dec 21, 2020 at 12:00 PM Post #3,155 of 7,883
I've never seen any indication that the ribbon capsules should be removed. I see some fuzz in mine from the outer grates, but when I slide the ribbon capsule out it's pristine. If you did want to clean the headphones, I'd remove the capsule first, put it in an anti-static bag, then clean the housing. I don't see a particular need unless it's very dirty, though. These are not designed to be dainty.

Thanks - so is the fuzzy looking white stuff inside the grill like a cover that stays inside when you pull the driver out? Mines looking a bit dirty but if it’s just speaker cloth then I guess it’s ok

Dec 21, 2020 at 12:56 PM Post #3,156 of 7,883
Thanks - so is the fuzzy looking white stuff inside the grill like a cover that stays inside when you pull the driver out? Mines looking a bit dirty but if it’s just speaker cloth then I guess it’s ok
Exactly that. The headphones look nearly identical with the capsule pulled out, which gives me the impression that the housing protects the ribbon pretty well.
Some ribbon drivers are especially sensitive to air pressure, and they’re so thin that strong gusts of wind can grab and deform them like a deflated Mylar balloon. The Raal don’t seem so fragile as that, especially in their housing, but I would still keep canned air or vacuum cleaners far away from the ribbons, just to be safe.
Worst case, the ribbons are easily replaceable and comparatively cheap.

Dec 21, 2020 at 7:45 PM Post #3,158 of 7,883
looking forward to it peter as a fan of the sr1a using the jotr

Dec 21, 2020 at 9:04 PM Post #3,159 of 7,883
Also - anyone else’s cables get really twisted up for no apparent reason?? It’s like pixies come in the night and plait them!
82E710C7-B229-47E8-860D-B9D3C01BDB0C.jpeg
FD3AC24B-4A1F-47EA-98C1-F0301E0B4F0B.jpeg
Constantly and it's baffling as I'm mostly motionless or only making minor adjustments as I'm listening.

Dec 21, 2020 at 9:41 PM Post #3,160 of 7,883
Ditto with the cables getting all twisted up. I thought it was just me... :beyersmile:

Dec 22, 2020 at 4:27 AM Post #3,161 of 7,883
Had a couple of hours my recent arrival, the XI Audio SAGRA DAC last night (into the Jott R)

So far so good! Sounds natural and smooth and less harsh and edgy that the RME ADI-2 DAC FS. And it’s definitely highlighting
details I never noticed before in well known tracks.

Although I did read a review saying that it sounds natural and warm.... so it could be my brain following the predefined orders it’s been given :wink:

Will listen solely to this for a few days then hoping to find the time and will to do some AB testing with the RME

I can’t really afford to keep it so kind of hoping it’s not as good as I think it is :)

Dec 22, 2020 at 4:56 AM Post #3,162 of 7,883
Ditto with the cables getting all twisted up. I thought it was just me... :beyersmile:

I worked out last night that it only takes a couple of turns of the headphones while picking up / putting down to start the magical twisting process.

Simply turn the headphones round a few times the other way to unravel.

Last edited:
Dec 22, 2020 at 5:03 AM Post #3,163 of 7,883
Had a couple of hours my recent arrival, the XI Audio SAGRA DAC last night (into the Jott R)

So far so good! Sounds natural and smooth and less harsh and edgy that the RME ADI-2 DAC FS. And it’s definitely highlighting
details I never noticed before in well known tracks.

Although I did read a review saying that it sounds natural and warm.... so it could be my brain following the predefined orders it’s been given :wink:

Will listen solely to this for a few days then hoping to find the time and will to do some AB testing with the RME

I can’t really afford to keep it so kind of hoping it’s not as good as I think it is :)
Try the "Slow" DA-Filter in RME ADI-2 DAC.
It takes away fron the edgyness and adds some warmth, while better defining instruments attacks and ambience than the default "Sharp" filter.

Last edited:
Dec 22, 2020 at 5:45 AM Post #3,164 of 7,883
Thanks I literally have no idea what those settings mean :)

And I didn’t really mean the RME sounded harsh and edgy before. Just in comparison this SAGRA sounds really smooth. But again until I do some AB testing won’t know if I’m making it up :wink:

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back