Raal Ribbon Headphones - SRH1A
Dec 10, 2020 at 9:52 PM Post #3,091 of 7,847
The Xs 300 was the main component of comparison as it showed where the SR1a bottleneck was/is. I've done this with the TC as well.
What is good about the HSA-1b or just so-so...

It's an overpriced amp in a novel space in Head-Fi.

The HSA is a little more lush/warm which helps mitigate core strengths of the SR1a. Vocals aren't quite as strident or forced-feeling, however, at the cost of ultimate resolution.
A lot of people whom found some warmth/engagement lacking, will find a nice bridge here.
In direct contrast, the Pass INT-150 is a little sweeter both in the midrange and upper-treble and plays pretty well balanced. The SR1a has limp-dick bass no matter what BS is spewed about how so articulate and resolute bass textures are. The TC out of the XS 300 is an absolute few levels above. The Jot R actually is a little dark-horse -- despite the sensor-gimping and quality control issue Schiit seemed to suffer hurrying units out, it's not such a bad alternative. You will trade a bit of technicality for a more dynamically engaging experience. It's not the elegant presentation of other amps.

We are pursuing the uberamp in desperation to elevate the SR1a bass. This is not an easy project nor cheap and I actually don't think it's going to work. But it's necessary to exhaust every option. I feel the SR1a is a stones throw away from being the unequivocal headphone king -- just if we defeat physics first.

You might have an easier route with a new interface box outside commercial offerings.

I still think the SR1a basically crushes the field save for that 1%. So similar to a recent discussion in the Susvara thread, don't over-agonize the decision. Or do. :laughing:

Excellent post, thank you for your thoughts. I'm sorry for apparently skimming over the XS 300's in your sig. Not sure how I missed those. Those most certainly would tell the tale.

Regarding the Raal amp, I don't mind a hint of warmth, but not at the expense of muddying the waters elsewhere, especially in the lower mids. I certainly don't want to toss away or even lessen some of the things that the sr1a does right, by adding some plumpness. My preferences lean towards having it laid bare, warts and all. Sure I'd like a more authoritative bottom octave than what I am hearing, but only if the cost of admission isn't a less resolute midrange.

I recently sold my pair of VTL MB450 III's....I wish I still had them to try the Raal's on. The only tube amp I have left is a VTL IT85 in my bedroom rig, and I think that would run short of steam run through that wall of resistance that is the interface box. I think you might be onto something regarding a more elegant outfitted interface. I suppose I'll probably spring for a Jot....mostly because the price of admission is negligible. Plus, without another option, I can't surmise how much of a weak link the "box" is. It sounds like my findings will likely match up with yours.

Old man physics is a tough nut to crack, for sure.

Again, thank you for your post. Just what I was looking for.

Dec 11, 2020 at 2:21 AM Post #3,092 of 7,847
The Xs 300 was the main component of comparison as it showed where the SR1a bottleneck was/is. I've done this with the TC as well.

The HSA is a little more lush/warm which helps mitigate core strengths of the SR1a. Vocals aren't quite as strident or forced-feeling, however, at the cost of ultimate resolution.
A lot of people whom found some warmth/engagement lacking, will find a nice bridge here.
In direct contrast, the Pass INT-150 is a little sweeter both in the midrange and upper-treble and plays pretty well balanced. The SR1a has limp-dick bass no matter what BS is spewed about how so articulate and resolute bass textures are. The TC out of the XS 300 is an absolute few levels above. The Jot R actually is a little dark-horse -- despite the sensor-gimping and quality control issue Schiit seemed to suffer hurrying units out, it's not such a bad alternative. You will trade a bit of technicality for a more dynamically engaging experience. It's not the elegant presentation of other amps.

We are pursuing the uberamp in desperation to elevate the SR1a bass. This is not an easy project nor cheap and I actually don't think it's going to work. But it's necessary to exhaust every option. I feel the SR1a is a stones throw away from being the unequivocal headphone king -- just if we defeat physics first.

You might have an easier route with a new interface box outside commercial offerings.

I still think the SR1a basically crushes the field save for that 1%. So similar to a recent discussion in the Susvara thread, don't over-agonize the decision. Or do. :laughing:

When you say 1% are you referring to all the TOTL headphones like Susvara, Utopia, LCD4, D8000, Verite etc?

Dec 11, 2020 at 4:10 AM Post #3,095 of 7,847

Would you mind sharing pictures of how uberamp2 looks like? Or at least how it's gonna look like?(if it's still getting built) I always wondered how much space it takes.

Dec 11, 2020 at 9:11 AM Post #3,096 of 7,847
Thanks for the link, I read through and adjusted my Jotunheim level to keep the RME around -20db.
Yes, and don't forget to have "Auto Reference Level" active, this is the smart feature ADI-2 DAC / Pro uses to keep it's DA-converter's dynamic range fully utilized.

You have to see dBr - instead of simple dB without "r"- when turning the Volume Dial.

"Auto Reference Level" takes care for every level related "problem".
It even takes into accout that, with EQ boosts, switching the reference level needs to be different to avoid digital overloads.

Last edited:
Dec 11, 2020 at 12:28 PM Post #3,097 of 7,847
When you say 1% are you referring to all the TOTL headphones like Susvara, Utopia, LCD4, D8000, Verite etc?
Likely excluding Verite, D8000, LCD-4, Utopia. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:
Would you mind sharing pictures of how uberamp2 looks like? Or at least how it's gonna look like?(if it's still getting built) I always wondered how much space it takes.
Build reports will be posted at the other place. I might post here in the DIY thread. We're shooting for Spring after all the holidays pass.

Dec 11, 2020 at 5:08 PM Post #3,098 of 7,847
Just got my RME ADI2DAC and been playing with JOTR + SR1a.
Do you guys think it's safe to stack JOTR above RME ADI2DAC ?
Do you know about a sort of small 3-level desktop rack to host them ?

Thanks

Dec 11, 2020 at 5:32 PM Post #3,099 of 7,847
Just got my RME ADI2DAC and been playing with JOTR + SR1a.
Do you guys think it's safe to stack JOTR above RME ADI2DAC ?
Do you know about a sort of small 3-level desktop rack to host them
If you read along here the results are quite different, temperature-wise for the JotR.
Maybe it's about unit to unit variation or it's just circumstances.

I'd suggest to give it a try, after some time of use put your hands on JotR and check for it's temperature.
If it feels reasonable, not significantly above body temperature, you're fine.
1 cm gap inbetween, thick rubberfeet or wine-corks cut in thirds can improve.

Air in- and outlets are on ADI-2 DAC's sides, so leave those uncovered.
It's top doesn't get hot with line out usage, only if driving really "hard to drive" headphones very loud it does.

Last edited:
Dec 11, 2020 at 5:55 PM Post #3,100 of 7,847
Likely excluding Verite, D8000, LCD-4, Utopia. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

Build reports will be posted at the other place. I might post here in the DIY thread. We're shooting for Spring after all the holidays pass.

But doesn't the lack of bass lead it to be really a very specialized headphone.. not appropriate for EDM, techno, hip hop etc?

Dec 11, 2020 at 6:21 PM Post #3,101 of 7,847
But doesn't the lack of bass lead it to be really a very specialized headphone.. not appropriate for EDM, techno, hip hop etc?

I would say so, even with my classical, film soundtracks, Jazz, and classic rock genres of music(which is pretty much all I listen to) it really depends a lot on the recording as to whether I feel more bass is needed to make it a satisfying listen for me. I drive mine with either Jot R on one of my rigs or the interface with my EVO 400 on the other rig . I've got Loki in line with Yggdrasil's on both for a higher level of bass when I think it's called for. But, that said, the bass is still not what can be had with my 1266 Phi or HD800S (or Utopia when I had it). The ribbon just can't give that sense or feel of of air pressure on the tympanic membrane, and subsequently, the air around those notes at the lowest frequencies of some instruments.

Marketing hype and horseshiit aside, there are always compromises.

Last edited:
Dec 11, 2020 at 6:44 PM Post #3,102 of 7,847
It feels as if you've a deeper question buried here.

To answer, yes it does.

Dec 11, 2020 at 7:33 PM Post #3,104 of 7,847
I would say so, even with my classical, film soundtracks, Jazz, and classic rock genres of music(which is pretty much all I listen to) it really depends a lot on the recording as to whether I feel more bass is needed to make it a satisfying listen for me. I drive mine with either Jot R on one of my rigs or the interface with my EVO 400 on the other rig . I've got Loki in line with Yggdrasil's on both for a higher level of bass when I think it's called for. But, that said, the bass is still not what can be had with my 1266 Phi or HD800S (or Utopia when I had it). The ribbon just can't give that sense or feel of of air pressure on the tympanic membrane, and subsequently, the air around those notes at the lowest frequencies of some instruments.

Marketing hype and horseshiit aside, there are always compromises.
truth is the bass is actually quite good and very accurate...the reason in my opinion the bass can seem lean to some is the difference is a cupping headphone which creates a kind of pressure that makes bass sound more powerful...only the abyss manages to maintain the bass without the cupping....that said since every HP has some compromise the SR1A is truly a revelatory prodict

Dec 11, 2020 at 8:20 PM Post #3,105 of 7,847
It feels as if you've a deeper question buried here.

To answer, yes it does.

I guess my real question is... if this headphone has 'limp dick bass' as you say. Then why do you consider it a headphone that "crushes the field". Are you saying that in certain genres (instrumental, jazz, vocal music) that it crushes others?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back