Raal Ribbon Headphones - SRH1A
Dec 11, 2020 at 8:43 PM Post #3,106 of 7,885
I guess my real question is... if this headphone has 'limp dick bass' as you say. Then why do you consider it a headphone that "crushes the field". Are you saying that in certain genres (instrumental, jazz, vocal music) that it crushes others?
I consider it a headphone that crushes the field as its key traits are the world's ultimate.
It has better stage projection, speed, detail, imaging and resolution than my favs (TC) or my former reference 009/DIY T2.

Could we expand on the 1% and the most balanced sounding headphones for context, sure

Dec 11, 2020 at 8:55 PM Post #3,107 of 7,885
I consider it a headphone that crushes the field as its key traits are the world's ultimate.
It has better stage projection, speed, detail, imaging and resolution than my favs (TC) or my former reference 009/DIY T2.

Could we expand on the 1% and the most balanced sounding headphones for context, sure

I need xs300 :frowning2:

Dec 11, 2020 at 9:26 PM Post #3,109 of 7,885
Dec 12, 2020 at 12:22 PM Post #3,110 of 7,885
The problem with having the XS300's....if you could ever actually call owning them a problem, is that if you want to power the Raal with it, it's got to go through that damn box. Having chewed on paradoxper's thoughtful responses, I've decided to wait on Kevin's amp before I lay down any money on an effort to eliminate the interface box from the chain. If it ultimately doesn't pan out the way people hope, and I'm "stuck" running what I have now, I won't complain too vehemently. I can always try and build a "step up" on my own, with premium parts, to see if I can end up with something that won't hinder what qualities the amp can bring. For now, it sounds pretty damned good, and I could live with it. I'm just spitballing with a pie-in-the-sky solution.

Dec 12, 2020 at 12:41 PM Post #3,111 of 7,885
The problem with having the XS300's....if you could ever actually call owning them a problem, is that if you want to power the Raal with it, it's got to go through that damn box. Having chewed on paradoxper's thoughtful responses, I've decided to wait on Kevin's amp before I lay down any money on an effort to eliminate the interface box from the chain. If it ultimately doesn't pan out the way people hope, and I'm "stuck" running what I have now, I won't complain too vehemently. I can always try and build a "step up" on my own, with premium parts, to see if I can end up with something that won't hinder what qualities the amp can bring. For now, it sounds pretty damned good, and I could live with it. I'm just spitballing with a pie-in-the-sky solution.

What makes you feel the interface box is hurting sound quality?

Dec 12, 2020 at 1:07 PM Post #3,112 of 7,885
You could also try what Kevin suggested (i think to save me from uberpains) and try Mcintosh 2 ohm taps or older Krells to drive a 1 ohm load.

Last edited:
Dec 12, 2020 at 5:25 PM Post #3,113 of 7,885
Some talk about lack of bass and these not being suitable for EDM / Hip Hop.
I listen to loads of EDM and hip hop and love them, there are lots of vocals and mid range and drums and bongos and transients and synths and treble and all sorts of going on and it all sounds amazing :)

And all this talk of building hyper amps to eek some more bass - why not boost with some EQ?

Personally I think the bass is great. It’s not “boomy” or bloated, but it’s all there when it’s meant to be and very tuneful and punchy, can slam when needed, and still digs deep, you just have to listen out for a bit a bit more than with other more bassy headphones.

But for me jt helps the rest of the music shine through too :)

I now find my Shure KSE1200 a bit “boomy” when I go back to them - never thought I’d say that!

Anyway each to their own, but if you are thinking of buying don’t be put off by talk of no bass without trying them for a while. once you get used the different bass presentation you might just get addicted to it.... like me :)

Last edited:
Dec 12, 2020 at 5:45 PM Post #3,114 of 7,885
You could also try what Kevin suggested (i think to save me from uberpains) and try Mcintosh 2 ohm taps or older Krells to drive a 1 ohm load.

Your post is making me reminisce of the days of my Krell KSA100 driven Apogee Scintilla rig.

Dec 12, 2020 at 5:51 PM Post #3,115 of 7,885
Your post is making me reminisce of the days of my Krell KSA100 driven Apogee Scintilla rig.
How many Scintilla's does it take to bring an amplifier to its knees. :joy:

Or, er, how many amplifiers did the Scintilla bring to its knees...

Dec 12, 2020 at 6:07 PM Post #3,116 of 7,885
Some talk about lack of bass and these not being suitable for EDM / Hip Hop.
I listen to loads of EDM and hip hop and love them, there are lots of vocals and mid range and drums and bongos and transients and synths and treble and all sorts of going on and it all sounds amazing :)

And all this talk of building hyper amps to eek some more bass - why not boost with some EQ?

Personally I think the bass is great. It’s not “boomy” or bloated, but it’s all there when it’s meant to be and very tuneful and punchy, can slam when needed, and still digs deep, you just have to listen out for a bit a bit more than with other more bassy headphones.

But for me jt helps the rest of the music shine through too :)

I now find my Shure KSE1200 a bit “boomy” when I go back to them - never thought I’d say that!

Anyway each to their own, but if you are thinking of buying don’t be put off by talk of no bass without trying them for a while. once you get used the different bass presentation you might just get addicted to it.... like me :)
The bass quality is indeed quite good, it is just not quite plentiful.

Yes, EQ is a tool to help address the SR1a shortcoming, and it is only a bandaid.
I had the pleasure of playing with a Pultec EQ.

I never found the Shure system to be anything special -- not to discredit your experience just to cross-reference paths and there-in expectations. However, if you are finding enjoyment, so much the better.

I absolutely agree solely listening with one's own ears is the way.

I would only add there are levels to this game.

Last edited:
Dec 12, 2020 at 6:11 PM Post #3,117 of 7,885
What makes you feel the interface box is hurting sound quality?

Just a hunch. Just seems like it would be the weak link in the chain when using a good quality speaker amp. Of course it could be that I'm more intrigued on how the Raal's would sound with a best effort direct drive amp more than anything else.

Dec 12, 2020 at 6:26 PM Post #3,118 of 7,885
How many Scintilla's does it take to bring an amplifier to its knees. :joy:

Or, er, how many amplifiers did the Scintilla bring to its knees...

LOL....you are so right. I had to buy the Krell after the fact, just to drive them. The Scintilla's eventually brought me to my knees, as I sold them and went to a pair of Duetta Signatures. With the right amp though, those Scintilla's could hold their own with anything back then. Problem was a lack of amps that could properly drive them, and I never was a big fan of the Krell sound. How ironic that some 30 years later, I own a pair of headphones that put me in that same boat. lol

Last edited:
Dec 12, 2020 at 6:33 PM Post #3,119 of 7,885
LOL....you are so right. I had to buy the Krell after the fact, just to drive them. The Scintilla's eventually brought me to my knees, as I sold them and went to a pair of Duetta Signatures. With the right amp though, those Scintilla's could hold their own with anything back then. Problem was a lack of amps that could properly drive them, and I never was a big fan of the Krell sound. How ironic that some 30 years later, I own a pair of headphones that put me in that same boat. lol
I had also driven Duetta Sig by Krell KSA 150 from 1989 to 1999.

This Sr1a remind me of the sound from Duetta.

I also have excellent sound out of Sr1a driven by Rogue Cronus Magnum II fitted with Nos tubes which is much more musical than driven by Jot R.

Thus interface does not seem to be weak link.

Last edited:
Dec 12, 2020 at 7:28 PM Post #3,120 of 7,885
I had also driven Duetta Sig by Krell KSA 150 from 1989 to 1999.

This Sr1a remind me of the sound from Duetta.

I also have excellent sound out of Sr1a driven by Rogue Cronus Magnum II fitted with Nos tubes which is much more musical than driven by Jot R.

Thus interface does not seem to be weak link.

Thomas, thanks for that comparison info between your Rogue and the Jot. I'll likely hang loose with what I have until someone like Kevin comes up with a world beater direct drive amplifier for the Raal.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back