Raal Ribbon Headphones - SRH1A
Dec 9, 2020 at 5:09 PM Post #3,076 of 7,847
Guess i Will go on Reading rme manual. It's a bit of a mess, but at least i Will learn something lol

Dec 9, 2020 at 5:17 PM Post #3,077 of 7,847
I have the Jot set around 10 o'clock and use the volume on the RME. I'm connecting the RME to the Jot with balanced outputs with the RME set to +13dBu output level, and I adjust the volume on the RME (instead of the Jot), for vinyl I keep it between -10 and -2, for digital tracks which have higher RMS volume, I have it around -15 maybe.

Ordered an RME ADI2DAC as well. Do you guys use fixed volume with JOT R? If so which gain setting di you use?

Dec 9, 2020 at 5:31 PM Post #3,079 of 7,847
I HIGHLY recommend YOUR FINAL SYSTEM cables for the sr1a....I read a good review of the cable and decided to give it a go, cost less than the stock and is excellent...in fact I liked it so much I ordered a couple more for my other HP's

Second this
Have used some of their cables for other headphones. Very decent value for money

Dec 9, 2020 at 6:28 PM Post #3,080 of 7,847
I have the Jot set around 10 o'clock and use the volume on the RME. I'm connecting the RME to the Jot with balanced outputs with the RME set to +13dBu output level, and I adjust the volume on the RME (instead of the Jot), for vinyl I keep it between -10 and -2, for digital tracks which have higher RMS volume, I have it around -15 maybe.

May I ask if you are using "Auto Ref Level" ON or OFF ?

If I have read correctly around and the manuals I will try the following settings, which are no longer valid when PEQ and Bass/Treble are in use

Auto Ref Level: OFF
Ref Level: +7dBu
Volume: 0dB fixed

In this way we should have 1.73V RCA and 3.46V XLR.

If someone woud like to get 2.06V for RCA and 4.11V for XLR:
Ref Level: +13dBu
Volume: -4.5dB fixed

It's a bit complicated. Guess wil try at low volume at first.
On RME forum you can find more details

Last edited:
Dec 9, 2020 at 7:56 PM Post #3,081 of 7,847
Not sure if there is really any effective difference - there's four different reference level outputs you can set, which have higher output voltage with volume set to 0dB: +4dBu (close to consumer RCA I think), +13dBu (consumer XLR like most stereos), +19dBu, and +24dBu (pro XLR). Volume/voltage output is higher at each, and then the volume control adjusts from that baseline.

The headphone 3/4 outputs are a little different (they add +3dB, and there's only two choices, low and high power setting, which correspond to +7dBu and +22dBu).

This is explained more in the manual, which is quite the read - it's a complicated little beast, with a lot of features and configuration options!

What’s the different between the +13dbu output level, and adjusting the line output volume?

Is +13dbu like setting a max volume / headroom?

Dec 10, 2020 at 1:50 AM Post #3,082 of 7,847
May I ask if you are using "Auto Ref Level" ON or OFF ?

If I have read correctly around and the manuals I will try the following settings, which are no longer valid when PEQ and Bass/Treble are in use

Ref Level: +7dBu
Volume: 0dB fixed

In this way we should have 1.73V RCA and 3.46V XLR.

If someone woud like to get 2.06V for RCA and 4.11V for XLR:
Ref Level: +13dBu
Volume: -4.5dB fixed

It's a bit complicated. Guess wil try at low volume at first.
On RME forum you can find more details
For all those wondering how to set up RME ADI-2 DAC FS and ADI-2 Pro FS, look here.
It's really simple to max it's quality, using it's unique feature "Auto Reference Level" instead of sticking on a fixed level:

Two variants possible, look at posting no. 14:
https://forum.rme-audio.de/viewtopic.php?pid=161721#p161721

Last edited:
Dec 10, 2020 at 5:42 AM Post #3,084 of 7,847
I use the Jotunheim R with the RME ADI-2 -- clearly a popular combination. I also usually play music through Roon, and use Roon's built-in EQ rather than the ADI-2. I might change that if I figure out hoe to get the ADI-2 dialed in how I like.

I run the Jotunheim wide open, with the volume knob maxed out and the bass compensation off. I then use the ADI-2 for all volume, and usually having it sitting about -30db. I've never noticed any distortion this way.

Dec 10, 2020 at 8:08 AM Post #3,085 of 7,847
I use the Jotunheim R with the RME ADI-2 -- clearly a popular combination. I also usually play music through Roon, and use Roon's built-in EQ rather than the ADI-2. I might change that if I figure out hoe to get the ADI-2 dialed in how I like.

I run the Jotunheim wide open, with the volume knob maxed out and the bass compensation off. I then use the ADI-2 for all volume, and usually having it sitting about -30db. I've never noticed any distortion this way.
-30 dB is too low for full quality.

Please look here for full benefit of RME ADI-2 DAC's / Pro's capabilities.
Due to it's clever design and features - with the ADI-2 you can eat the cake and have it too :)

https://forum.rme-audio.de/viewtopic.php?pid=161721#p161721
Two variants possible, look at posting no. 14, pt. 2 for setup of digital volume control.

Last edited:
Dec 10, 2020 at 8:52 AM Post #3,086 of 7,847

May I ask if you use standard W10 Wasapi driver, or if you have installed the ASIO provided with RME ?

Dec 10, 2020 at 1:04 PM Post #3,087 of 7,847
Due to the pandemic, with no opportunity to listen to a pair before purchase, I leapt ahead and bought an SR1a with the interface box, and hooked them up to my Bryston 4B SST2 amp....and they sound fantastic in all respects.

Now, like most of us in this hobby, I'm never satisfied....and would like to know from those that have run the Raal's both ways: Are there further sonic gains to be had by using a direct-drive amp vs using a good quality speaker amp? The vibe I seem to be getting from some, is that the weak link appears to the interface box itself, and that no matter how good the amplifier is behind it, you are somewhat limited by the box.

While I'm not ready to drop some cash on an HSA-1b quite yet - mostly because we'll likely see some additional best effort direct-drive amp offerings in the near future - in the meantime, I'd be willing to look into a Jot R if those that have had both in their systems say that it's even a small step up.

Thoughts?

Dec 10, 2020 at 1:19 PM Post #3,088 of 7,847
Due to the pandemic, with no opportunity to listen to a pair before purchase, I leapt ahead and bought an SR1a with the interface box, and hooked them up to my Bryston 4B SST2 amp....and they sound fantastic in all respects.

Now, like most of us in this hobby, I'm never satisfied....and would like to know from those that have run the Raal's both ways: Are there further sonic gains to be had by using a direct-drive amp vs using a good quality speaker amp? The vibe I seem to be getting from some, is that the weak link appears to the interface box itself, and that no matter how good the amplifier is behind it, you are somewhat limited by the box.

While I'm not ready to drop some cash on an HSA-1b quite yet - mostly because we'll likely see some additional best effort direct-drive amp offerings in the near future - in the meantime, I'd be willing to look into a Jot R if those that have had both in their systems say that it's even a small step up.

Thoughts?
Well, you might want to inquire to dealers about the HSA-1b. You can grab a good deal as the margins on the amp are actually far better than the headphones.

I think you'll find the direct-drive options limited for a variety of reasons, fwiw.

Dec 10, 2020 at 5:44 PM Post #3,089 of 7,847
Well, you might want to inquire to dealers about the HSA-1b. You can grab a good deal as the margins on the amp are actually far better than the headphones.

I think you'll find the direct-drive options limited for a variety of reasons, fwiw.

Thanks for that info on the Raal amp. It's encouraging to know there might be a little wiggle room. I see you have the Pass integrated and the HSA-1b. Have you compared the two with the sr1a? If so, what were the pros and cons of each vs the other? Thx.

Dec 10, 2020 at 8:20 PM Post #3,090 of 7,847
Thanks for that info on the Raal amp. It's encouraging to know there might be a little wiggle room. I see you have the Pass integrated and the HSA-1b. Have you compared the two with the sr1a? If so, what were the pros and cons of each vs the other? Thx.
The Xs 300 was the main component of comparison as it showed where the SR1a bottleneck was/is. I've done this with the TC as well.
What is good about the HSA-1b or just so-so...

It's an overpriced amp in a novel space in Head-Fi.

The HSA is a little more lush/warm which helps mitigate core strengths of the SR1a. Vocals aren't quite as strident or forced-feeling, however, at the cost of ultimate resolution.
A lot of people whom found some warmth/engagement lacking, will find a nice bridge here.
In direct contrast, the Pass INT-150 is a little sweeter both in the midrange and upper-treble and plays pretty well balanced. The SR1a has limp-dick bass no matter what BS is spewed about how so articulate and resolute bass textures are. The TC out of the XS 300 is an absolute few levels above. The Jot R actually is a little dark-horse -- despite the sensor-gimping and quality control issue Schiit seemed to suffer hurrying units out, it's not such a bad alternative. You will trade a bit of technicality for a more dynamically engaging experience. It's not the elegant presentation of other amps.

We are pursuing the uberamp in desperation to elevate the SR1a bass. This is not an easy project nor cheap and I actually don't think it's going to work. But it's necessary to exhaust every option. I feel the SR1a is a stones throw away from being the unequivocal headphone king -- just if we defeat physics first.

You might have an easier route with a new interface box outside commercial offerings.

I still think the SR1a basically crushes the field save for that 1%. So similar to a recent discussion in the Susvara thread, don't over-agonize the decision. Or do. :laughing:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back