Raal Ribbon Headphones - SRH1A
Nov 28, 2020 at 10:46 PM Post #3,034 of 7,883
Otherwise what should I ask for I get a straight cable made - special resistance or?

An "extension" cable should be a straight-through configuration.

Beyond that, unless you're getting something custom made, you're not going to have any options.

You want the lowest resistance possible. And you need it to be well matched between channels.

Really, you're better off getting a single cable of the appropriate length. You can probably trade the one you have in on a longer one directly with RAAL ...

Nov 29, 2020 at 1:44 PM Post #3,036 of 7,883
You can probably find someone to do it for less as a custom order. Whether it is done properly or not is another matter.

There is a difference in what it takes to make a cable that works correctly when the transducer you're driving has anywhere from 100x to 1000x the resistance of the cable (which is a trivial job) than when the transducer itself is 1/10th the impedance of the raw wire involved! Left/right resistance has to be VERY close. Even a few early official RAAL cables had issues with this.

I made my own ... though that wasn't about cost savings - the end result used raw materials that cost more than the finished RAAL cables.

Nov 29, 2020 at 2:44 PM Post #3,038 of 7,883
One of the hiccups with getting a custom-made cable for the Raal is that the XLR end is a female 4 pin XLR. It's the only headphone that uses this configuration. Moon Audio makes a custom Raal cable, but it's comparable in price to the replacement from Raal.

I also made my own cable for considerably less than $500 in materials. The Raal cable is nowhere near $500 in materials, either. I don't fault them for making money on accessories, and want very much for them to be a be a successful company making profit on these phenomenal headphones, but I could make the stock cable for $75 retail and two hours of my time, and that's being generous.

There are four identical strands of relatively thin wire in there, even if they're OCC silver they appear to be little more than hookup wire. The TRRS connectors are unbranded, and while they appear to be of reasonable quality they're nothing too special. In fact, there's no need for TRRS connectors whatsoever. There are only two wires entering the TRRS connector, and the tip is tied to ring one, with ring 2 tied to sleeve. It could be a TS connector, an HD800 connector, a whatever connector. I think TRRS was chosen purely for (relative) rarity and the perception of high end, as it's totally unnecessary.

Last edited:
Nov 29, 2020 at 2:54 PM Post #3,039 of 7,883
I HIGHLY recommend YOUR FINAL SYSTEM cables for the sr1a....I read a good review of the cable and decided to give it a go, cost less than the stock and is excellent...in fact I liked it so much I ordered a couple more for my other HP's

Nov 29, 2020 at 3:25 PM Post #3,040 of 7,883
Is that the name of the company? YOUR FINAL SYSTEM. If so can you post a link? I Googled it and didn't find anything.

Nov 29, 2020 at 3:43 PM Post #3,042 of 7,883
Thank you.

Nov 29, 2020 at 4:23 PM Post #3,044 of 7,883
it is 6 feet and I believe around 275 ..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back