Raal Ribbon Headphones - SRH1A
Nov 5, 2020 at 9:28 PM Post #2,911 of 7,847
" no matter which of the two ribbon drivers is on which side "
You swapped ribbons and it stays on the left? I'd contact the dealer. I could only imagine a problem with the housing or connectors on that side.

This ^

OK, I'm going to be returning the SR1a next week.

Trying to fix the bass issue is a big headache - it goes beyond just eq'ing out the problem. This is unacceptable. I think a lot of the "detail" I was hearing in the bass was distortion.

EDITED TO UPDATE: I was hasty. I'll try contacting RAAL about my issue, first, since I'm under warranty.

Good call. Danny told me he'd replace my headphones if there was a housing issue and replace the drivers if those were an issue. In my case, it turned out to be the latter and they sent 2 new matched drivers the next day. No problems since.

Nov 5, 2020 at 9:50 PM Post #2,912 of 7,847
danny is a true gentleman , he took care of my problem with patience galore

Nov 5, 2020 at 10:02 PM Post #2,913 of 7,847
Update: the bass channel imbalance/excursion mismatch is still a thing, but the Jotunheim's DAC was adding extra distortion to it, making trying to fix the problem with just per-channel EQ a nightmare of a mess. Now that I'm back to the SoundBlasterX G6 (yes, I need a better DAC - and I'm aware of its IMD bass hump via USB, so I'm keeping the digital volume at 60%), all I have needed to do is fix the balance with Equalizer APO + the Peace equalizer in graphic EQ mode. Big improvement! Now I just need to take care not to listen too loud to cause excursion.

I overrated the Jotunheim's DAC last week because I also changed the headband length to the middle, which is what actually increased clarity for me.

Sorry for the drama.

Nov 6, 2020 at 11:31 AM Post #2,914 of 7,847
Ya give Raal a chance to make it right before you return.

Anyone prefer the raal over susvara and abyss?

Also I heard that the connector box is a 'limiting factor' in the sound quality. So even if you pair it with better amps that will hold you back and abyss, susvara don't have that limitation and thus can scale better. Thoughts ?

Nov 6, 2020 at 2:05 PM Post #2,915 of 7,847
Seems an overly simplistic way of looking at things. The converter box is, to my eyes, not as good a long term solution as a good direct drive amp, but largely because you need to run such a monster amp into the thing to get sufficient current. I don't think the box itself is the weak link in any chain.

Nov 6, 2020 at 2:08 PM Post #2,916 of 7,847
Ya give Raal a chance to make it right before you return.

Anyone prefer the raal over susvara and abyss?

Also I heard that the connector box is a 'limiting factor' in the sound quality. So even if you pair it with better amps that will hold you back and abyss, susvara don't have that limitation and thus can scale better. Thoughts ?

I think that it is a temporary limitation of the sr1a, but yea it exsists. On the other hand - I've read here that overall sr1a + JotR is comparable with SR-009s + T2(best of the best for Stax). It means that even with this limitation sr1a could sound better than others.
Personally, I will build UberAmp2 raal edition :)

Nov 7, 2020 at 12:42 AM Post #2,917 of 7,847
I think that it is a temporary limitation of the sr1a, but yea it exsists. On the other hand - I've read here that overall sr1a + JotR is comparable with SR-009s + T2(best of the best for Stax). It means that even with this limitation sr1a could sound better than others.
Personally, I will build UberAmp2 raal edition :)

But I wonder if the concept of scaling of it being limited is true when comparing it to abyss and susvara scaling ?

Nov 7, 2020 at 7:09 AM Post #2,918 of 7,847
I've been wondering if a direct drive amp with several different "baffle compensation" profiles would be a plus.

Nov 9, 2020 at 10:51 AM Post #2,920 of 7,847
I should have realized this, since swapping the drivers did nothing (I thought maybe the housing for the drivers was somehow the cause, I guess), but swapping the headphone cable plugs swaps the bass volume mismatch, so the Jotunheim is the cause of the problem. Do to strong social anxiety, I don't read a thread once I start posting in it, nor do I read my PMs, so sorry if someone told me to test this (would be surprising if someone didn't!). I think I'll put that info in my signature, so people don't waste their time.

I'm probably not going to be doing anything about this anytime soon. I would rather be able to use the headphone with this problem than not be able to use it for an unknown amount of time while I've sent in the Jotunheim to Schiit. The imbalance seems to have lessened in severity, anyway.

Nov 9, 2020 at 3:55 PM Post #2,921 of 7,847
but swapping the headphone cable plugs swaps the bass volume mismatch, so the Jotunheim is the cause of the problem.

I know of at least one SR1a user that ran into the situation you're experiencing, and it turned out to be that the SR1a headphone cable was at fault, with an impedance mismatch between the left and right channels. The impedance of the SR1a drivers is so low, that even small variations in cable impedance can be measurably and audibly significant to overall performance.

Nov 9, 2020 at 4:02 PM Post #2,922 of 7,847
I had a similar issue with an electrostatic headphone cable. Still worked just volume was lower on one side. It would actually decrease in volume the longer I listened. Had cable replaced and problem gone. I believe there was some broken strands or stress cracks in wire. As I was using it, it heated up and opened the cracks more. Increasing the resistance and lowering the volume. I would start with replacing the cable. Dollars to donuts that's the problem.

Nov 11, 2020 at 2:25 AM Post #2,923 of 7,847
So, I've seen talk of subwoofers tossed about a bit, but if I need a full-range system, would having a sub in the room (say a Martin Logan Balanced Force) be a viable solution, or is there a better way to solve that?

Nov 11, 2020 at 2:46 AM Post #2,924 of 7,847
So, I've seen talk of subwoofers tossed about a bit, but if I need a full-range system, would having a sub in the room (say a Martin Logan Balanced Force) be a viable solution, or is there a better way to solve that?

To me there's nothing to solve about the RAAL...

Nov 11, 2020 at 4:08 AM Post #2,925 of 7,847

Users who are viewing this thread

Back