Raal Ribbon Headphones - SRH1A
Oct 29, 2020 at 9:42 PM Post #2,881 of 7,847
as one who owns or has owned all of the TOTL HP;s other than the Stax I find the Sr1a to be revelatory ......simply marvelous and the first new product that I have bought in years that really has turned my head

Oct 29, 2020 at 10:22 PM Post #2,882 of 7,847
Uh.. Quick update.

Found a USB 2.0 printer cable, and am now using the Jotunheim R's Multibit DAC. I was using a Sound BlasterX G6 (yeah, I know).

Wow, this sounds incredible! Overall clarity is the most obvious improvement. And people say that this holds the SR1a back?! I am gonna start saving for an RME ADI-2 DAC FS - or if that isn't suited for the SR1a, something else. Will read through this thread.

Oct 30, 2020 at 12:08 AM Post #2,883 of 7,847
as one who owns or has owned all of the TOTL HP;s other than the Stax I find the Sr1a to be revelatory ......simply marvelous and the first new product that I have bought in years that really has turned my head

Do you like it better than the Susvara and TC?

Oct 30, 2020 at 12:26 AM Post #2,884 of 7,847
Can anyone comment on the SR1A’s ability to respond to EQ? Specially I would like to bring up the bass and mid bass some. Not crazy, just a little.

Oct 30, 2020 at 12:34 AM Post #2,885 of 7,847
I will not say better because that is too subjective...different and remarkable and for the time being seeing the most use in my rotation

Oct 30, 2020 at 2:30 AM Post #2,886 of 7,847
Regaring other headphones, personnaly i can’t go back to my previous headphones, latest being the d8000, empyrean and diana phi. I did a A/B listening with empyrean and d8000, and understood how Sr1a is a unique experience, everything seem live and alive, and i didn’t get that with the other 2. But i haven’t own the susvara (had a lack of bass for my taste) or TC (lacking finesse i thought after a quick listening, and also might look too odd to pass my wife « approval » to my hobby haha).
The Dac of the Jot R is quite limited. I am using a topping d90 and the difference is very obvious, i would recommand to invest in an external dac for sure : below 1000€, would recommend smsl m400 or topping d90 or denafrips ares II or qutest, etc depending on what you prefer...

Last edited:
Oct 30, 2020 at 2:40 AM Post #2,887 of 7,847
Can anyone comment on the SR1A’s ability to respond to EQ? Specially I would like to bring up the bass and mid bass some. Not crazy, just a little.
I use very similar EQ to what Amir posted at ASR with very good results. I actually dialed in a pretty significant bass shelf of 4 db, with sub bass roll-off and a few treble peak corrections. This is through the Roon interface, but any digital EQ that allows you to set your Q should be able to replicate it:

Attachments

• 0B253829-2025-45FA-AAC5-6ECABDA5ACA4.jpeg
    0B253829-2025-45FA-AAC5-6ECABDA5ACA4.jpeg
    430.9 KB · Views: 0
Oct 30, 2020 at 4:18 PM Post #2,888 of 7,847

For me overall, yes. There are aspects of the other two I prefer for some genres, like the sheer bass scale and presentation of the TC or the liquid holographic mids of the Susvara, but neither sounds as realistic as the SR1a.
@julien-hifi put it perfectly, it sounds "live and alive" compared to the other two, which sound like 'just' excellent headphones.

Last edited:
Oct 31, 2020 at 5:29 PM Post #2,889 of 7,847
Having been relegated to the JotR for the time being, one thing I'll say is the JotR has more bass than the HSA1b. I guess the way it's tuned they've introduced a greater boost with the baffle compensation. This is to my liking, but in every other way it's outclassed by the RAAL amp (other than speed where the JotR is its equal, perhaps even more incisive). Great value nonetheless considering the price difference.

Anyways, Danny and David got back to me within minutes of my email. Said it's likely the fuse considering it's 1.6A, designed for Serbian voltages. Advised me to replace it with a 2-3 amp slow-blow. Will update once I do.

Installed the 2A fuse and everything's in working order. Quick, responsive customer service as usual. Also thank you @MrCypruz for sharing the fuses you use.

Not a moment too soon either; the JotR can become fatiguing.

Last edited:
Nov 1, 2020 at 2:19 PM Post #2,892 of 7,847
Installed the 2A fuse and everything's in working order. Quick, responsive customer service as usual. Also thank you @MrCypruz for sharing the fuses you use.

Not a moment too soon either; the JotR becomes fatiguing pretty quickly.
My HSA-1b also lost power and will not switch on.
Could you possibly share the fuse specs and availability?
Also what tools do you use to get into the HSA-1b?

Nov 1, 2020 at 4:54 PM Post #2,893 of 7,847
My HSA-1b also lost power and will not switch on.
Could you possibly share the fuse specs and availability?
Also what tools do you use to get into the HSA-1b?

I bought these in Canada:
https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B07FQQ776S/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

@MrCypruz linked me to this one in the US:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07Z2VDTCJ/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_ENkMFbE01243V

No tools needed except a flathead screwdriver or anything similar to gently pry out the fuse holder above the IEC socket on the rear.

Nov 1, 2020 at 5:41 PM Post #2,894 of 7,847
Since I have SR1a + JOT R I need to say that my HD800s are sitting in the box. SR1a is something different.
Everything looks so "controlled". A real pleasure!

Nov 1, 2020 at 6:54 PM Post #2,895 of 7,847
the sr1a is truly special...obviously these things are subjective but for me the combination of the almost eerie detail, the huge soundstage and the wonderful way it differentiates instruments has me reaching for it first these days..simply marvelous...I feel like I am in the studio with the musicians or in the concert hall on live recordings...I may change my mind in the future because we lunatics in this hobby always do but for now despite my owning the abyss TC and susvara this is the standout performer

Users who are viewing this thread

Back