Raal Ribbon Headphones - SRH1A
Oct 26, 2020 at 5:20 PM Post #2,851 of 7,885
Thanks for the answer.
currently my dac, the topping d90 is connected with an xlr AQ water to the Jot R. If i use the loki, that means i need to use rca from the dac to the loki and again from loki to the amp... bit of a shame i can’t use the balance output and would need to get aside my balanced cable.
Complicated :)

You could also use a digital EQ right from the source. What software are you playing music through?

Oct 26, 2020 at 7:31 PM Post #2,852 of 7,885
may ask if anybody knows the exact dimensions of the new amp?I have seen conflicting numbers and would like to make sure I know for sure before I consider whether not to look into it....thanks

Oct 26, 2020 at 9:17 PM Post #2,854 of 7,885
perfect thanks much for the help!

Oct 27, 2020 at 10:17 AM Post #2,856 of 7,885
Fair enough. You could play Tidal through Roon and have digital EQ built in. There is a lot more to recommend Roon than just this, but a year of it does cost nearly as much as a Loki.

Oct 27, 2020 at 3:47 PM Post #2,857 of 7,885
Hmm, my HSA1b just stopped working today. Turned it on, no light, no sound. Switched out all the cords and tested all the other gear, they're all OK.

I've emailed Danny and David, lets see how they respond. Just thought I'd add a data point on reliability. My SR1a driver previously developed a rattle spontaneously and RAAL was quick to send a replacement.

Oct 27, 2020 at 5:12 PM Post #2,859 of 7,885
Having been relegated to the JotR for the time being, one thing I'll say is the JotR has more bass than the HSA1b. I guess the way it's tuned they've introduced a greater boost with the baffle compensation. This is to my liking, but in most other ways it's outclassed by the RAAL amp (other than speed/dynamics where the JotR is its equal, perhaps even more incisive). Great value nonetheless considering the price difference.

Anyways, Danny and David got back to me within minutes of my email. Said it's likely the fuse considering it's 1.6A, designed for Serbian voltages. Advised me to replace it with a 2-3 amp slow-blow. Will update once I do.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2020 at 10:03 PM Post #2,860 of 7,885
danny is an incredibly nice guy to deal with a true gentleman...I had some issues and he showed remarkable patience working with me

Oct 28, 2020 at 3:15 AM Post #2,861 of 7,885
Fair enough. You could play Tidal through Roon and have digital EQ built in. There is a lot more to recommend Roon than just this, but a year of it does cost nearly as much as a Loki.
Yes my friends also recommand me Roon. For some reasons, i like to keep it analog, therefore my initial interest in the loki.
Regarding amplification, i was first looking at upgrading to hsa-1b, but one the cost (5000€), and second the non availability for us european, maybe the CE certification is long to get, so i turn my eyes to what seem to be one of the best solution: Tsakiridis mono blocks Apollon.
In France, we are lucky enough to have someone doing great review on YT. Here is the one on the Achilles if you want to have an idea. It’s french so you would need to activate English subs.

The Apollon monoblock at 2800€ is really a bargain. I will definitively post a feedback once i am able to compare all options to Jot R, including hsa1b and Tsakiridis Apollon monoblocks...

Last edited:
Oct 28, 2020 at 11:06 AM Post #2,862 of 7,885
Having been relegated to the JotR for the time being, one thing I'll say is the JotR has more bass than the HSA1b. I guess the way it's tuned they've introduced a greater boost with the baffle compensation. This is to my liking, but in every other way it's outclassed by the RAAL amp (other than speed where the JotR is its equal). Great value nonetheless considering the price difference.

Anyways, Danny and David got back to me within minutes of my email. Said it's likely the fuse considering it's 1.6A, designed for Serbian voltages. Advised me to replace it with a 2-3 amp slow-blow. Will update once I do.

was the jot r outclassed majorly?
Or a tough fight?
Thanks

Oct 28, 2020 at 11:44 AM Post #2,863 of 7,885
What is the rating on those mono blocks. Looking for a new speaker amp and one that sounds good with my SR1A would do double duty.

Oct 28, 2020 at 12:58 PM Post #2,865 of 7,885
Referring to power rating. Raal recommends at least 100 watts I believe. Although high current tubes may require less.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back