Raal Ribbon Headphones - SRH1A
Oct 28, 2020 at 1:31 PM Post #2,867 of 7,847
Referring to power rating. Raal recommends at least 100 watts I believe. Although high current tubes may require less.
Indeed you can’t compare watts from solid state and watts from high current tubes.
With listening, you would be suprised!
For the monoblocks Apollon, you have with tubes EL34, 2x40w in triode mode and 2x70w in pentode mode.
Triode mode seems to be the prefered mode.

Last edited:
Oct 28, 2020 at 2:00 PM Post #2,868 of 7,847
Referring to power rating. Raal recommends at least 100 watts I believe. Although high current tubes may require less.

Makes me wonder what happens to the current in tube amps with output transformers?

Oct 28, 2020 at 3:09 PM Post #2,870 of 7,847
was the jot r outclassed majorly?
Or a tough fight?
Thanks

Nothing is outclassed majorly at this level, but this is a highly subjective way to describe things. It's better to use a reference or comparison. For me, moving from Apple earbuds to the HD800s is a major upgrade. So by that standard, no the Jot R is not. It's more akin to going from HD580s to HD650s. Worthwhile and readily discernable, but not dramatic. Along those lines, I'd say some people would prefer aspects of the JotR to the HSA, like they do of the HD580 to HD650s, but overall it's clear the latter is superior.

Oct 28, 2020 at 3:35 PM Post #2,872 of 7,847
Let’s remember Jot R is 800€ and hsa1b is 5000€. In between we have these tubes amp solution at 2800€.
Can’t complain, we have choices which is great! Seems Jot R remain the best value.
I have to admit without Jot R i would not have purchased the Sr1a :)

Oct 28, 2020 at 6:10 PM Post #2,873 of 7,847
I too would never have purchased the sr1a without the jotr option...when I first saw and heard the headphone at canjam I liked what I heard but was put off by the need to use a speaker amp and the additional converter box so I just kinda forgot about it but when I heard the the Jotr became available I decided to investigate and I am glad I did as I love the combo which naturally makes me imagine investigate the new amp..naturally lol

Oct 28, 2020 at 6:22 PM Post #2,874 of 7,847
I'm in the same boat. My speaker amp is not in the same room. And I don't want to purchase another one just to drive the Raal. For those with a different setup that may be a mute point. But I guess the Jot R is a nice way to get much of what the SR1A has to offer.

Oct 28, 2020 at 9:41 PM Post #2,876 of 7,847

What the hell do you need 100 watts for on a headphone?

Even with my previous 50W amplifier, my previous subwoofer was already powerful enough to shake items in the room. And the bass was very deep and clear already with 50W.

Last edited:
Oct 28, 2020 at 10:40 PM Post #2,877 of 7,847
What the hell do you need 100 watts for on a headphone?

Even with my previous 50W amplifier, my previous subwoofer was already powerful enough to shake items in the room. And the bass was very deep and clear already with 50W.
The amp has to run through an impedance box which knocks the power down considerably. Due to the ultra low impedance of the ribbons in the Raal.

Oct 29, 2020 at 2:19 AM Post #2,878 of 7,847
Watts don’t give the whole information to drive the Sr1a. The design of the amp, its class (A, B etc), power supply, transformer and so on will play a role. I guess some well design amp at 70w will be fine and others at 100w will fall short.
The only way is to plug and listen and see for yourself. And it seems tubes mono blocks are also a good way to go.
Not easy, bit what’s easy in high end audio :)

Oct 29, 2020 at 3:31 AM Post #2,879 of 7,847
As I understand it, and bear in mind I’m a neophyte hobbyist, you don’t actually need the 100 watts themselves. You need 10+ amps of current delivered to an extremely low impedance. The speaker adapter burns most of the power away as heat.
The direct drive Jotunheim R amplifier does not output anywhere near 100 watts of power, but most amplifiers are not capable of delivering the needed current into a 0.2 ohm load. Hence, when you’re using the “wrong” kind of amplifier, you’re throwing most of the power away and just keeping the high current.

Oct 29, 2020 at 8:59 PM Post #2,880 of 7,847
Almost a week later than expected, I finally received my SR1a + Jotunheim R (with DAC, but I need to get a usb 2.0 printer cable for it). Turns out they didn't actually have the specific combo in stock, so they had to order it from RAAL Requisite who shipped it directly to me on Monday. Further, once it was shipped, there were weather issues, which delayed it further.

Can tell that the bass is higher quality than I've ever heard. There is an abundance of unique texture to the bass on each track that I've absolutely not noticed before. Extension is definitely enough for me, too - don't feel like I'm missing anything by not having the deepest rumble, and it extends further than the HD 800 S, I think.

Not sure what to make of the soundstage, yet. Not too sure that I'm getting much of a stage in front of my head unless I open up the speakers too far and ruin the tuning. Need to compare it directly to my headphones.

Instrument separation might be the best I've heard. Need more time and to do some direct comparisons.

As for overall tuning (bass-mid-treble balance), yup, it is in-line with what I prefer (with the speakers almost touching my ears). Not at all muddy or thick. Very clear, but not thin, and with no artificially exaggerated sibilance.

Not yet sure I'm going to keep these, but I will give them at least a few days (won't have time again until Sun night, as I work during the weekends), then compare to my HD 800 S. Will likely destroy the 800, but by enough to warrant the high cost? Dunno yet.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back