Raal Ribbon Headphones - SRH1A
Sep 21, 2020 at 2:31 PM Post #2,701 of 7,888
I have the SR1a, 1266Phi and Senn HD800 and 800S. Had the Utopia which was superb but my ears work best and were more comfortable inside the Senn's cavernous ear pockets and the Phi's almost large enough but lightly coupled ear pockets. Of course the SR1a has no pocket so it's perfect for my ears. All have their strengths, weaknesses, and drawbacks, in various ways but I enjoy the different sound properties each brings to my listening experience.

Sep 21, 2020 at 3:41 PM Post #2,702 of 7,888
Personally, I feel the SR1a with only the Jot R outclasses the Susvara (from speaker/hp amps and a silver wire upgrade). Much better transients and a larger, more speaker-like soundstage being the greatest technical differences. Bass extension/force is the only place the Susvara handily beats the RAALs, but this isn't exclusive to the Susvara, rather, most high-end planars would do this.

Tonality-wise, the Susvara is more balanced/pleasing IMO at the expense of some of the beaming clarity of the RAALs. The Jot R's aggressiveness/forwardness may also be playing a role here.

I haven't heard the Abyss so I appreciate everyone's comparisons.

Last edited:
Sep 21, 2020 at 3:44 PM Post #2,703 of 7,888
I'll be curious to hear how the HSA-1 sounds compared to the JOT R with the SR1a.

Sep 21, 2020 at 4:01 PM Post #2,704 of 7,888
I have the SR1a, 1266Phi and Senn HD800 and 800S. Had the Utopia which was superb but my ears work best and were more comfortable inside the Senn's cavernous ear pockets and the Phi's almost large enough but lightly coupled ear pockets. Of course the SR1a has no pocket so it's perfect for my ears. All have their strengths, weaknesses, and drawbacks, in various ways but I enjoy the different sound properties each brings to my listening experience.

I agree ^.

I'm sure many will balk at this, but the HD800 (original, with a silver wire) matches the speed of the RAALs in my system. The soundstage is ever so slightly smaller and less speaker-like/open, but is more 3D/holographic than the ribbons. Bass force/extension is similar, with the edge going to the HD800s. If it wasn't for the tonal peculiarities (which don't bother me as much as they do many others) of the Senns, they'd be so much more appreciated for their technical prowess. Still, I can listen to the RAALs for much longer despite their treble-tilt because of the lack of odd peaks and their open air design.

Last edited:
Sep 21, 2020 at 4:35 PM Post #2,705 of 7,888
I get you, I love all 3 but keep reaching for the sr1a....I am not giving up the other 2 and definitely find certain music better with certain HP's but the sr1a is so dynamic...so grand and so detailed it is simply something completely different and the first HP since the abyss that sounds entirely new and different....I will add that you better be prepared to hear just how dreadful some recordings are when you listen to the sr1a...it is truly going to expose every flaw without mercy

Last edited:
Sep 21, 2020 at 5:39 PM Post #2,706 of 7,888
I also have the TCs, Susvaras, and SR1as. I go back and forth between liking the Susvaras more than the Sr1as. The TCs are always number 1 in my mind though. They all sound amazing, but the TCs are nearly flawless from a sound quality perspective (not so much with fit and comfort though). The Susvaras and Sr1as each have their own strengths, depending on genre.

I think one downside with the Sr1as is you have to use the speaker connector, a JotR or HSA-1a to listen to them. The TCs and Susvaras give you a much greater range of amplification options. Yes, I know you can use different pre-amps and speaker amps, but it still limits you. I hope new dedicated amps are released. I want a BHSE or WA33 equivalent for the Sr1as

Last edited:
Sep 21, 2020 at 7:18 PM Post #2,707 of 7,888
it is true one has more amp options with either the susvara or TC

Sep 22, 2020 at 6:53 PM Post #2,708 of 7,888
I also have the TCs, Susvaras, and SR1as. I go back and forth between liking the Susvaras more than the Sr1as. The TCs are always number 1 in my mind though. They all sound amazing, but the TCs are nearly flawless from a sound quality perspective (not so much with fit and comfort though). The Susvaras and Sr1as each have their own strengths, depending on genre.

I think one downside with the Sr1as is you have to use the speaker connector, a JotR or HSA-1a to listen to them. The TCs and Susvaras give you a much greater range of amplification options. Yes, I know you can use different pre-amps and speaker amps, but it still limits you. I hope new dedicated amps are released. I want a BHSE or WA33 equivalent for the Sr1as
I, too, have the TC as number one. I don't see any amp changing this personal fact. I'll just build a better amp for the TC. 1597450347302.png

Sep 29, 2020 at 9:55 PM Post #2,711 of 7,888
Hi, do people have experience with class-d amplifiers and the SR1a interface box? What the sound be like with TPA325x, ICEpower, Hypex NC500MP and 1ET400 Purifi?
I had tried Crown XLs 2502 which worked well almost as Jot R.

But now I am using Rogue Cronus Magnum II fitted with Nos tubes which sounds more musical.

Oct 1, 2020 at 5:21 AM Post #2,712 of 7,888
I find my darTZeel CTH- 8550 simply a PERFECT companion for the RAAL : powerful, incredible musicality, punch... music !!! My preferred CD,
jazz vocal, are simply fantastic with this setup...

Interesting. I have that same integrated. I don’t have the interface box so never tested against it. Have you compared vs. the direct drive headphone amps such as Jot R, or new RAAL ones?

Last edited:
Oct 3, 2020 at 5:01 PM Post #2,714 of 7,888
as one who owns and loves both the abyss TC and the susvara I have been picking up the SR1a more often these days

Last edited:
Oct 3, 2020 at 5:05 PM Post #2,715 of 7,888
as oje who owns and loves both the abyss TC and the susvara I have been picking up the SR1a more often these days

I see what you mean. Got the TCs a few days ago and it's true they all have their charms. Music genres and volume of listening also seem to alter my preference for HPs.

One thing can't be ignored, the RAALs are easily the most comfortable headphones of the three, atleast as good as the HD800 if not better. The Abyss, even with the new headband can't match any of the cans mentioned, including the Susvara, though they're not uncomfortable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back