Raal Ribbon Headphones - SRH1A
Sep 12, 2020 at 11:32 AM Post #2,671 of 7,883
Man, you guys, I'm so bummed out. :frowning2:

I've been following these Raals for a very, very long time. I heard them very briefly at a show and loved them. Just ordered them from Headamp after remembering the beautiful sound I heard out of these. 15 minutes into wearing them, I got a migraine from the pads pushing my temples on the side. I set them down for a bit, took some pain medicine, and came back to them. This time, 15 minutes into wearing them, I felt another headache creeping in so I put them down again. I did fiddle around with the adjustment to try to alleviate the pressure off of my temples. Finally, I came back to them again and forced myself to wear them for at least 30 minutes to see if the first two times of them making me ill were flukes. Well, I wore them for half an hour and did every adjustment I could on them (minus of modding them) and 30 minutes into wearing these, I got the worst migraine I've had in a year. Started feeling super unwell, and, my head was throbbing where the pressure points were from the pads for hours. I think that it took two hours for the throbbing to stop.

I don't like permanently modding stuff in case I want to re-sell, but, I had just gotten them yesterday and can't go through that migraine ordeal again. I sent Justin a return request message, citing that these quite literally made me extremely ill. I'll probably be able to send them back by Monday or Tuesday and get a refund quickly, but, I'm just so bummed out by this. I know that there may be mods that I could try, but, I've decided to just send them back for a refund and get a more traditional headphone. My Sennheiser HD800S and Focal Stellias have never given me a headache before. Come to think of it, no cans have ever given me a headache before. For what it's worth, I'm a female with a fairly small head, and I don't know if that somehow made the clamping force worse.
I can understand suggesting that they felt a bit snug etc but speaking of migraines and horrible pain sounds like a bit of an over reaction...I have them and absolutely love them and yes they are a finicky fit but could they cause enough pain as you are describing?...doubtful.....if the SR1a is such a problem for you stay away from the abyss it is just as difficult to fit ...

Sep 12, 2020 at 12:25 PM Post #2,672 of 7,883
First off, not to sound sensitive, but why would a grown woman such as myself come to an online forum to overreact and over-exaggerate something as trivial as... a migraine?

Also, why would someone doubt what I am even saying in the first place? These gave me a migraine. It's not some conspiracy or a plot that I have against these things. I used to suffer from migraines as a teenager, but, I don't anymore for the most part except in certain situations and scenarios. I've met people who have had to switch to contact lenses because the pressure from their glasses gave them migraines, or people who got migraines from wearing pony tails or headbands. Plus, I'll never forget the time in high school when a whiff of someone's perfume caused one of my high school teachers to run to the bathroom due to migraine induced vomiting and she had to go home because someone sprayed a little bit of perfume around her.

They didn't directly cause me horrible pain. They caused a chain reaction where the pressure on my head led to discomfort, which lingered and spread, causing the migraine. For example, when I put my hair up in a bun too tightly, I once got a migraine because I undid it and the lingering tension remained for a few hours and triggered a migraine. Is wearing a pony tail or a tight bun excruciatingly painful and uncomfortable? No, but, it can take more than one factor to cause a migraine or headache to snowball downhill.

Also, I didn't really make this post to be speculated and micro-analyzed. Whether I am overreacting or not is not of your concern. Just thought I'd post and leave a comment on it. After all, comment sections on the internet are for the good and the bad. If people can't even leave a semi-negative comment about something online without someone scrutinizing on whether they are or not over-exaggerating having a migraine, then, that's just bizarre behavior to display towards someone you don't even know.

Last edited:
Sep 12, 2020 at 12:30 PM Post #2,673 of 7,883
I can understand suggesting that they felt a bit snug etc but speaking of migraines and horrible pain sounds like a bit of an over reaction...I have them and absolutely love them and yes they are a finicky fit but could they cause enough pain as you are describing?...doubtful.....if the SR1a is such a problem for you stay away from the abyss it is just as difficult to fit ...
I am or was a victim of migraine as well. Had to bend the head frame outwards and that tamed a bit, but still not enough. But of course, it does not happen as frequently as Jeweltopia. Then again, the point is that it is an issue for a couple of owners. It can also worsen any pre-existing head pertinent conditions, which is what I found to be true in my case and it looks to be the same with others as well. So, I do not think it is an over-reaction. That said, I heard the ZMF Pilot pad helps with it. May try it out later.

The Abyss TC, I own, does not cause any temple issues for me. In fact, it is more comfortable than the SR1a in that aspect. If anything, it would create a pressure spot at the top of my head, sometimes. However, I have the new headband coming in and I expect it to not be an issue anymore. We’ll see.

Last edited:
Sep 12, 2020 at 12:42 PM Post #2,674 of 7,883
I hope to see Raal do something in the future that uses this same technology but in a design that evenly distributes the weight across the surface area.

Sounds like Raal's side pads are putting pressure on exactly the temple spot that you are sensitive to. If you have already tried adjusting the leather headband height up and down via its belt-like holes and had no luck, I suggest sliding the Raal forward and backward on your head to see.

If that doesn't help, find any type of soft packing foam/memory foam material in the house, cut a small, thin square pad, then place it on the back end of Raal's long temple pad. You will notice pressure is then felt mostly on back part of your head where most people are less sensitive. If this helps, I would just use rubber bands to keep it there.

If none of that works, if it were me, I would simply stretch the aluminum frame until pressure is relieved. If no permanent change is wished, I would use something (perhaps straightened wire hanger) to prop the Raal's frame just a bit more apart.

I am sure there is *some* way to prevent the headaches, and it would be worth it because Raal truly is an uniquely amazing 'phone.

I used chopsticks to hold Abyss TC frames slightly more open (not for headache reasons), but whatever it takes...

AbyssMod by drjlo2, on Flickr

Last edited:
Sep 12, 2020 at 1:17 PM Post #2,675 of 7,883
Sounds like Raal's side pads are putting pressure on exactly the temple spot that you are sensitive to. If you have already tried adjusting the leather headband height up and down via its belt-like holes and had no luck, I suggest sliding the Raal forward and backward on your head to see.

If that doesn't help, find any type of soft packing foam/memory foam material in the house, cut a small, thin square pad, then place it on the back end of Raal's long temple pad. You will notice pressure is then felt mostly on back part of your head where most people are less sensitive. If this helps, I would just use rubber bands to keep it there.

If none of that works, if it were me, I would simply stretch the aluminum frame until pressure is relieved. If no permanent change is wished, I would use something (perhaps straightened wire hanger) to prop the Raal's frame just a bit more apart.

I am sure there is *some* way to prevent the headaches, and it would be worth it because Raal truly is an uniquely amazing 'phone.

I used chopsticks to hold Abyss TC frames slightly more open (not for headache reasons), but whatever it takes...

AbyssMod by drjlo2, on Flickr
Jon L, did you implement the chopsticks because the set-screw on the headband would slip-back into a nominal fit?

Sep 12, 2020 at 1:25 PM Post #2,676 of 7,883
Would like to comment that I have tried the Abyss 1266 before and found no real clamping force. Even though they were heavy, I didn't have an issue because the weight was evenly distributed vs being very isolated to just one part of the head. This is to everyone commenting about the Abyss. I said that I was wary of it, only because I haven't owned it even though I have tried it, and therefore I can't say for sure if they'd have the same reaction. However, I've worn extremely heavy Audezes without issues. The issue for me isn't really weight, it seems to be clamping force and things causing pressure point hot spots on the head. The Sennheiser HD600 / 650 series for example never bothered me or gave me a headache with their clamping forces. This may have just been an isolated incident because this put a lot of pressure on areas that are sensitive and I'm known to personally build up tension in anyway, which is why I don't wear a lot of tight things on my head. If the headphones are heavy but distribute the weight evenly, such as an Audeze, I don't have issues with that. Just clarifying.

Sep 12, 2020 at 2:46 PM Post #2,677 of 7,883
Jon L, did you implement the chopsticks because the set-screw on the headband would slip-back into a nominal fit?
Chopstick would also help with set-screw "rebound," but I did it mainly to keep the earpads just perfectly and slightly off my skin for bass response, without bending the frame permanently.
BTW, I literally just compared Raal SR1a and Abyss TC again, and yeah, I have no choice but to keep both around. Like..Forever.

Sep 12, 2020 at 3:12 PM Post #2,678 of 7,883
Chopstick would also help with set-screw "rebound," but I did it mainly to keep the earpads just perfectly and slightly off my skin for bass response, without bending the frame permanently.
BTW, I literally just compared Raal SR1a and Abyss TC again, and yeah, I have no choice but to keep both around. Like..Forever.
Ah. Thanks for the clarification.

Agree. And I've yet to scratch the surface for either.

The uberamp for the SR1a and another uberamp for the Abyss are in planning stages as is perhaps the DSHA4F and Copenhagen for Abyss. So play time. For. Like. Forever.

Last edited:
Sep 12, 2020 at 4:11 PM Post #2,679 of 7,883
First off, not to sound sensitive, but why would a grown woman such as myself come to an online forum to overreact and over-exaggerate something such as trivial as... a migraine?

Also, why would someone doubt what I am even saying in the first place? These gave me a migraine. It's not some conspiracy or a plot that I have against these things. I used to suffer from migraines as a teenager, but, I don't anymore for the most part except in certain situations and scenarios. I've met people who have had to switch to contact lenses because the pressure from their glasses gave them migraines, or people who got migraines from wearing pony tails or headbands. Plus, I'll never forget the time in high school when a whiff of someone's perfume caused one of my high school teachers to run to the bathroom due to migraine induced vomiting and she had to go home because someone sprayed a little bit of perfume around her.

They didn't directly cause me horrible pain. They caused a chain reaction where the pressure on my head led to discomfort, which lingered and spread, causing the migraine. For example, when I put my hair up in a bun too tightly, I once got a migraine because I undid it and the lingering tension remained for a few hours and triggered a migraine. Is wearing a pony tail or a tight bun excruciatingly painful and uncomfortable? No, but, it can take more than one factor to cause a migraine or headache to snowball downhill.

Also, I didn't really make this post to be speculated and micro-analyzed. Whether I am overreacting or not is not of your concern. Just thought I'd post and leave a comment on it. After all, comment sections on the internet are for the good and the bad. If people can't even leave a semi-negative comment about something online without someone scrutinizing on whether they are or not over-exaggerating having a migraine, then, that's just bizarre behavior to display towards someone you don't even know.
I do not doubt that you find yourself uncomfortable, I only object to using the term migraine...a migraine is a medical condition a neurological disease not something brought on by wearing glasses or headphones...

Sep 12, 2020 at 5:19 PM Post #2,680 of 7,883
A person who has migraine headaches periodically can have triggers that bring on a migraine headache attack. In the case of @Jeweltopia the pressure from the headphone clamp unfortunately brings it on for her. I don’t think she was saying that someone who has never had a migraine could get one for the first time from the clamp of headphones

Sep 12, 2020 at 5:53 PM Post #2,681 of 7,883
I don’t get migraines, in general, but after like an hour or two of wear, the sr1as give me a headache and it’s painful on the temples. Not migraine level, but definitely not pain free. I’ve even bent the metal out too. I guess the headphones just sit in the wrong place for some owners

Sep 12, 2020 at 11:43 PM Post #2,682 of 7,883
Definitely fit and comfort is something that Raal needs to work on a bit more. First time I’ve tried the Raals I complained about not being able to bob and or shake my head in a care free manner. if it weren’t for the amazing sound it produces I wouldn’t be in this forum/thread

Sep 13, 2020 at 9:06 PM Post #2,683 of 7,883
ironically the 2 best sounding HP's available to day IMHO the abyss and the SR1a are also the most finicky in terms of comfort

Users who are viewing this thread

Back