Raal Ribbon Headphones - SRH1A
Aug 26, 2020 at 10:28 AM Post #2,581 of 7,885
I've found that I change fit according to the song I'm listening too. Easy to change without taking off. More of an adjustment than a change. And it does significantly change the sound. A little bit of work, but man is the payoff worth it.

Aug 26, 2020 at 1:32 PM Post #2,582 of 7,885
Great. Looking forward to your thoughts, especially in comparison to the Abyss. I agree with jlbrach below; positioning changes the sound significantly, ie. along the z-axis (anterior/posterior), y-axis (superior/inferior) and with the driver angle. It's nice to change these parameters from time to time to suit my mood.
actually I originally found some recordings to be overly sibilant with the raal ...sadly there are simply some recordings that are simply poor and they will sound lousy no matter what you do but over time experimenting with different positionings I was able to lesson and mitigate the sibilance not eliminate it sadly...I also find the susvara can be very sibliant and the TC a bit less......I also find that although you dont have to use it that the rear strap helps to not only hold the raal in place but also helps me to better find the proper position each time I put it on

Aug 26, 2020 at 2:06 PM Post #2,583 of 7,885
actually I originally found some recordings to be overly sibilant with the raal ...sadly there are simply some recordings that are simply poor and they will sound lousy no matter what you do but over time experimenting with different positionings I was able to lesson and mitigate the sibilance not eliminate it sadly...I also find the susvara can be very sibliant and the TC a bit less......I also find that although you dont have to use it that the rear strap helps to not only hold the raal in place but also helps me to better find the proper position each time I put it on

So complete accuracy (assuming any one of these transducers as well as any other equipment in the chain is truly accurate - which I don't believe they are) may not always be the best approach given the general quality of too many recordings. Some times the quest for High Fidelity is really an exercise in frustration, a "you can't get there from here" proposition. 40 years of "perfect sound forever" and we're still working on getting there from here, LOL!

Last edited:
Aug 26, 2020 at 3:38 PM Post #2,584 of 7,885
for me, I always want the most accurate rendition of what is on the recording, warts and all realizing that in some cases it may make the recording more difficult to listen to...kind of like when for a while they were using new technologies that cleaned up surface noise and hiss from old recordings and 78's until they realized they were sacrificing a good deal of the music itself....give me the unvarnished product and that holds for the HP as well

Last edited:
Aug 27, 2020 at 8:10 PM Post #2,585 of 7,885
So my SR1a + Jot R arrived today around lunch time while at work. Thanks again to Justin from HeadAmp for the super fast shipping and top shelf customer service BTW!

Settling in tonight with them. I spent like 20 minutes playing around with the fit and think I got them where I like them (at least for now). Using my Chord DAVE and Norah Jones (192 kps via Qobuz) and while I was expecting a massive sound stage (which by the way, these headphones deliver in spades), I was not expecting this level of transparency and detail retrieval! These drivers certainly dig down very deep into a recording to pull out the smallest nuances that most headphones would simply gloss over. Only the Phi TC, Susvara and SR-009 are on this level...well, it appears that I can add the SR1a to that list now too.

Aug 27, 2020 at 9:28 PM Post #2,586 of 7,885
So my SR1a + Jot R arrived today around lunch time while at work. Thanks again to Justin from HeadAmp for the super fast shipping and top shelf customer service BTW!

Settling in tonight with them. I spent like 20 minutes playing around with the fit and think I got them where I like them (at least for now). Using my Chord DAVE and Norah Jones (192 kps via Qobuz) and while I was expecting a massive sound stage (which by the way, these headphones deliver in spades), I was not expecting this level of transparency and detail retrieval! These drivers certainly dig down very deep into a recording to pull out the smallest nuances that most headphones would simply gloss over. Only the Phi TC, Susvara and SR-009 are on this level...well, it appears that I can add the SR1a to that list now too.

Really interesting, as I have those exact 3 headphones at the top of the pack in that regard (and overall generally). Really hoping to get to try the Raal one day soon. How would you say the bass compares to those three?

Aug 27, 2020 at 9:48 PM Post #2,587 of 7,885
If your listening to anything with sub bass or even 20-30 hz range the SR1A will bottom out. I hear audible distortion with EDM or modern pop music. But the bass above 30 hz is very articulate and controlled. Definitely not in the same league as the Abyss TC which I also own. Don't own the Susvara so I will let someone else chime in on that.

Aug 27, 2020 at 9:52 PM Post #2,588 of 7,885
Really interesting, as I have those exact 3 headphones at the top of the pack in that regard (and overall generally). Really hoping to get to try the Raal one day soon. How would you say the bass compares to those three?

You'll have to give me some more time as they are still right out of the box, but I will report back for sure. So far, I am quite happy with the bass so far.

Aug 27, 2020 at 10:00 PM Post #2,589 of 7,885
If your listening to anything with sub bass or even 20-30 hz range the SR1A will bottom out. I hear audible distortion with EDM or modern pop music. But the bass above 30 hz is very articulate and controlled. Definitely not in the same league as the Abyss TC which I also own. Don't own the Susvara so I will let someone else chime in on that.

Appreciate the insight!

You'll have to give me some more time as they are still right out of the box, but I will report back for sure. So far, I am quite happy with the bass so far.

Take your time and enjoy!

Aug 28, 2020 at 8:02 PM Post #2,591 of 7,885

I had a feeling you would like them lol...they are so detailed and so transparent that when I go back to the TC and susvara seem veiled and that is saying something....the bass is actually very accurate....keep playing around with them because the slightest change in angle and width and position on your head will make big changes

Aug 28, 2020 at 8:40 PM Post #2,592 of 7,885
I had a feeling you would like them lol...they are so detailed and so transparent that when I go back to the TC and susvara seem veiled and that is saying something....the bass is actually very accurate....keep playing around with them because the slightest change in angle and width and position on your head will make big changes

So far, I wouldn't say the TC or Susvara sound veiled, but very much on par with these headphones...and likely with the SR-009/009S and LCD-4/4z, the 5 best in terms of clarity and detail extraction that I've come across. Their sound staging is the widest for sure...and so far I am loving them! Thanks for the recommendation...my wallet though isn't so thankful. :p

Aug 28, 2020 at 8:58 PM Post #2,593 of 7,885
yes sadly the wallet is never safe with this hobby...I recently sold my loudspeaker system and have gone all HP giving me some spare cash to experiemnt

Aug 29, 2020 at 9:25 PM Post #2,594 of 7,885
Tonight I'm listening to this masterpiece:
81V4i-klGmL._AC_SL1400_.jpg

And it's as if I'm in the concert hall listening to it live. The ability of these headphones to cast both an expansive sound stage and maintain the upmost in transparency has me really, really impressed! The Jotunheim R drives them brilliantly as well with my Chord DAVE as the DAC. Audio bliss!

Aug 29, 2020 at 10:37 PM Post #2,595 of 7,885
spot on

Users who are viewing this thread

Back