Raal Ribbon Headphones - SRH1A
Jan 28, 2020 at 4:06 PM Post #1,846 of 7,883
Bloom Audio Headphones and Personal Audio with Pitch Perfect Service. Stay updated on Bloom Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/BloomAudioStore https://twitter.com/BloomAudioStore https://www.instagram.com/BloomAudioStore https://bloomaudio.com hello@bloomaudio.com
Jan 28, 2020 at 4:40 PM Post #1,848 of 7,883
If you use digital input, then internal Dac will be used, but with analog input, internal Dac will be bypassed.

Thanks.
Does the unit comes with any input cables for an external DAC?

Jan 28, 2020 at 9:55 PM Post #1,850 of 7,883
For those already using the JOTUNHEIM R with built-in DAC

Does adding a premium DAC like Chord DAVE to the JOTUNHEIM R with internal DAC improves the music?

Jan 28, 2020 at 10:27 PM Post #1,851 of 7,883
Does adding a premium DAC like Chord DAVE to the JOTUNHEIM R with internal DAC improves the music?
The internal DAC is a $200 option. I would hope that the Chord DAVE at over $10,000 is a better DAC. Based on your last few posts, why don't you just get a Jotunheim R without the internal DAC (and save $200)?

Jan 28, 2020 at 11:51 PM Post #1,852 of 7,883
The internal DAC is a $200 option. I would hope that the Chord DAVE at over $10,000 is a better DAC. Based on your last few posts, why don't you just get a Jotunheim R without the internal DAC (and save $200)?

I’m curious if it actually does improves the music.

Jan 29, 2020 at 1:52 AM Post #1,854 of 7,883
Anyone with the new JOTUNHEIM R with the internal DAC?
Does it also have connections to an external DAC?
If yes, what types of connection options?

Thanks!

Schiit advertises Bifrost as a better option than the internal DAC. Based on their own comments, I would say the internal DAC wouldn't be the best option available out there.

Jan 29, 2020 at 2:12 AM Post #1,855 of 7,883
I’m curious if it actually does improves the music.
Schiit makes DACs ranging in price from $99 to $2449. The $200 DAC that fits inside the Jotunheim R is towards the lower end of their product line. If you believe that DACs make a difference in sound quality, then you'll probably want something better.

Last edited:
Jan 29, 2020 at 1:42 PM Post #1,856 of 7,883
This depends if you can hear the difference between DAC's or not?
In fairness to @paulchiu [who obviously has experience with high end DACs], he might also be asking whether the JotR is capable of revealing the differences. There are amps [and headphones], of course, that won't reveal those differences as effectively as others, if at all. My own sense is that the JotR can reveal some of those differences, though I do not believe it is a "statement amp" for the SR1a. It's excellent, better than the buffer/Vidar combination I was using before, but I suspect there is more realism yet that the SR1a could reveal with an even better amplifier. Since RAAL has one in the works, I believe they think so, too. Or at least, they think we're willing to pay to find out.
:smile_phones:

Jan 29, 2020 at 1:46 PM Post #1,857 of 7,883
For the JotR are you all using aftermarket power cables?

Also, I waited to long to order my JotR and now I have to wait until 2/27 for it to ship :triportsad:

Jan 29, 2020 at 2:06 PM Post #1,858 of 7,883
For the JotR are you all using aftermarket power cables?

Also, I waited to long to order my JotR and now I have to wait until 2/27 for it to ship :triportsad:
Jesus It is back ordered to 2/27.

They must have had run out of parts.

I had considered waiting for post review since I was happy with Sr1a driven by Crown Xls 2502 with fast transient and neutral presentation.

But I pulled the trigger within two hours after hearing news of release out of curiosity.:beyersmile:

Now I am very happy with excellent soundstage offered by Jot R.

Jot R also give balanced sound with clean treble and details although it is very small. almost portable.

By the way I am using Analysis Plus power cable and 2 KW isolation transformer (kind of overkill but Kgsshv Carbon amplifier is also connected to it).

https://photos.google.com/share/AF1...?key=VjN1SHRiUWYxUGd0dk5qWTVQOEJNNXdMaEZ0RGZB

Last edited:
Jan 29, 2020 at 2:13 PM Post #1,859 of 7,883
In fairness to @paulchiu [who obviously has experience with high end DACs], he might also be asking whether the JotR is capable of revealing the differences. There are amps [and headphones], of course, that won't reveal those differences as effectively as others, if at all. My own sense is that the JotR can reveal some of those differences, though I do not believe it is a "statement amp" for the SR1a. It's excellent, better than the buffer/Vidar combination I was using before, but I suspect there is more realism yet that the SR1a could reveal with an even better amplifier. Since RAAL has one in the works, I believe they think so, too. Or at least, they think we're willing to pay to find out.
:smile_phones:

It should also be noted that the stock interface box is likely a bottleneck that maxes out the sound potential, regardless of the quality of DAC/amp feeding it. Improving upon this interface has the potential to unleash a massive upgrade in performance from any DAC/amp combo driving the headphones. Something folks should be aware of before giving up on the source gear they ran out and bought to drive their SR1-a headphones.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back