Raal Ribbon Headphones - SRH1A
Oct 19, 2023 at 5:34 PM Post #7,096 of 7,885
have u tried it without mitch filters, and using the compensation barrels instead?
I haven't, but I will later. I don't like the idea of having take on and off compensation barrels, but it's definitely worth a try

Oct 19, 2023 at 5:35 PM Post #7,097 of 7,885
I have tried three filters:

1. Roon parametric filters that use the same frequency response as the compensation barrels per Alexander's post (never tried the barrels themselves as I didn't want to compromise the pricey High Fidelity Cables I use),
2. the Mitch filters combined with the Roon compensation filters, and
3. the newest Mitch filters with the compensation filters built-in.

Of the three I liked the last one, i.e. the Mitch filters with the compensation built-in.

IMO there wasn't a day-and-night difference but if you like the SR-1a/b and want to optimize it for the ultimate sound, I find the Mitch filters well worth it. If the SR-1a/b isn't your favorite phones, I don't think the Mitch filters will change your mind and probably not worth the $.
I really like that fact that the MItch filters mean I don't have to use the compensation barrels.

Oct 19, 2023 at 5:36 PM Post #7,098 of 7,885
I have tried three filters:

1. Roon parametric filters that use the same frequency response as the compensation barrels per Alexander's post (never tried the barrels themselves as I didn't want to compromise the pricey High Fidelity Cables I use),
2. the Mitch filters combined with the Roon compensation filters, and
3. the newest Mitch filters with the compensation filters built-in.

Of the three I liked the last one, i.e. the Mitch filters with the compensation built-in.

IMO there wasn't a day-and-night difference but if you like the SR-1a/b and want to optimize it for the ultimate sound, I find the Mitch filters well worth it. If the SR-1a/b isn't your favorite phones, I don't think the Mitch filters will change your mind and probably not worth the $.
Agreed--and I will add that I found the Mitch SR1b filters with the compensation built in (so you can remove the barrels from the chain) to be substantially better than the Mitch filters that still require using the barrels (or Roon parametric filters).

Oct 19, 2023 at 8:48 PM Post #7,099 of 7,885
Also, the bass is not bad with the Mitch filters. That guy's a genius. I still wish the SR1b extended a bit lower, but the impact and limited extension is still nice with a headphone with this high of resolution. It's a trade off I guess. If you want that fast, high resolution sound, it's hard to push the bass as well.
you will ultimately come to go back and forth between the sr1a and ca-1a and keep asking yourself which is better...they are very different but both superb

Oct 19, 2023 at 8:49 PM Post #7,100 of 7,885
I really like that fact that the MItch filters mean I don't have to use the compensation barrels.
yes a game changer, I hated having to use the barrels when I used my cfa3...with my vm-1a all good

Oct 20, 2023 at 12:44 AM Post #7,101 of 7,885
The soundstage width off these things is amazing. I'm listening to my fav album at the time, the new Tomb Mold, and the width is amazing. I guess you can't beat the open atmosphere that these provide.

Oct 20, 2023 at 12:45 AM Post #7,102 of 7,885
yes a game changer, I hated having to use the barrels when I used my cfa3...with my vm-1a all good
Yeah, fukk the barrels. I don't wanna mess with that sh!t at all. I'm gonna try them out, to compare, but not having them is a major plus for me. I'm surprised about how hard these are to drive tthough. I'm at like 60% on my CFA3 and this thing is a beast. I really wanna try out the VMA-1a

Oct 20, 2023 at 12:59 AM Post #7,103 of 7,885
Yeah, fukk the barrels. I don't wanna mess with that sh!t at all. I'm gonna try them out, to compare, but not having them is a major plus for me. I'm surprised about how hard these are to drive tthough. I'm at like 60% on my CFA3 and this thing is a beast. I really wanna try out the VMA-1a

Lol try the barrels man. I'm curious to know your impression of them. the high volume needed is cos you're running the Mitch filters.

Oct 20, 2023 at 2:44 AM Post #7,104 of 7,885
Also, the bass is not bad with the Mitch filters. That guy's a genius. I still wish the SR1b extended a bit lower, but the impact and limited extension is still nice with a headphone with this high of resolution. It's a trade off I guess. If you want that fast, high resolution sound, it's hard to push the bass as well.
I'm beginning to consider running a separate subwoofer with my sr1b close to the listening chair. Maybe even two subs... 🤯😀

SVS and KEF are in the running.

Oct 20, 2023 at 9:22 AM Post #7,105 of 7,885
Another bass enhancement option is the Subpac wearable subwoofer, www.subpac.com. I ordered the latest version about 18 months ago and they are late in delivering it but I am still hopeful it will be delivered sometime this year.

Oct 20, 2023 at 12:17 PM Post #7,106 of 7,885
There's a VM-1a for sale on US Audio Mart right now. I'm not affiliated with the seller in any way. It's unclear whether or not they will continue to be manufactured, so it's possible that they will be quite scarce going forward. My brief experience with it driving the Raal's told me they are WELL worth the effort.

Oct 20, 2023 at 3:51 PM Post #7,107 of 7,885
The CA-1a is good. I put on the donut pads after listening to the other ones for a while. The bass is definitely better on the donuts. These have nice resolution as well. I just don't know where they fit in my collection. They don't do anything my other cans aren't doing :thinking:

I still need to spend more time with these, but for the price, I am impressed.

Oct 20, 2023 at 3:55 PM Post #7,108 of 7,885
The CA-1a is good. I put on the donut pads after listening to the other ones for a while. The bass is definitely better on the donuts. These have nice resolution as well. I just don't know where they fit in my collection. They don't do anything my other cans aren't doing :thinking:

I still need to spend more time with these, but for the price, I am impressed.
I found the CA-1a to scale with the VM1a more than the SR1a does. To my ears, the CA-1a is just a much better headphone when driven by the VM1a. I hope you get a chance to hear the combo.

Oct 20, 2023 at 4:08 PM Post #7,109 of 7,885
@Ciggavelli buy the VM-1a so I can drive over and listen to the CA-1a on it! LOL

Oct 20, 2023 at 6:37 PM Post #7,110 of 7,885
@Ciggavelli buy the VM-1a so I can drive over and listen to the CA-1a on it! LOL
:beyersmile:

We'll see if I pick one up. I don't really have the space for them, and I'm not sure if they will increase the sound quality enough to be worth it. Maybe I'll try to audition it at Can Jam Dallas if I go. I'm curious though...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back