Raal Ribbon Headphones - SRH1A
Jan 28, 2021 at 7:48 PM Post #3,421 of 7,894
I have also been using the xlr and enjoying it...it is tough to imagine much better peter

Jan 28, 2021 at 7:51 PM Post #3,422 of 7,894
I have also been using the xlr and enjoying it...it is tough to imagine much better peter

Have you A-B'd with RCA? I decided to give it a try and I think I prefer XLR. I agree...hard to imagine personal audio getting any better!

Jan 28, 2021 at 7:57 PM Post #3,423 of 7,894
I did go back and forth and found the xlr a bit more dynamic and as you described it punchy..both are fantastic and the whole setup is really remarkable...

Jan 28, 2021 at 8:10 PM Post #3,424 of 7,894
I did go back and forth and found the xlr a bit more dynamic and as you described it punchy..both are fantastic and the whole setup is really remarkable...

Glad to hear it's not just me hearing that. :)

Jan 28, 2021 at 10:52 PM Post #3,425 of 7,894
listening to your favorite moving pictures on the sr1a setup...pretty amazing

Jan 29, 2021 at 9:25 AM Post #3,426 of 7,894
Peter,
With all your accolades to this combo you already pushed me over the edge and decided to order it.
I will be paring it with my Bricasti M1SE.

First I will have to reduce a little bit my collection to make room so most likely my Z1R and RAD-0 will go to the for sale forum. Between the Susvara, Utopia and SR-009 they take all my time. I will keep the D8000 at least for a little longer.

It will be interesting to see how the amp compares to my Enigma(with upgrades) driving dynamic and planar headphones. If it wins then the Enigma (which I love) will have to go.

Moon Audio Stay updated on Moon Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/MoonAudio/ https://twitter.com/MoonAudio https://instagram.com/moonaudio https://www.moon-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@moon-audio sales@moon-audio.com
Jan 29, 2021 at 9:41 AM Post #3,427 of 7,894
listening to your favorite moving pictures on the sr1a setup...pretty amazing
I’ve been watching movies with my SR1A for a few months now. It is indeed an amazing experience. As a late night movie watcher who enjoys a rather nice Atmos system, this is a satisfying alternative for the times the family is asleep.

Jan 29, 2021 at 3:44 PM Post #3,428 of 7,894
moving pictures...the rush classic.....

Jan 29, 2021 at 6:09 PM Post #3,429 of 7,894
Not sure if anyone has tried or if the question has been asked. I've tried looking for this but could not find anything.
Is there a way to connect the SR1A headphones directly to speaker taps much like HE6? basically without the speaker adapter box? I have the JotR but want to run it out of amps directly like I have been with the HE6 and AbyssTC. Don't want to blow it up and the reverse XLR is throwing me off.

Jan 29, 2021 at 6:26 PM Post #3,430 of 7,894
I know you can do so off of the speaker taps on the hsa-1b...not sure about other power amps

Jan 29, 2021 at 7:14 PM Post #3,432 of 7,894
Peter,
With all your accolades to this combo you already pushed me over the edge and decided to order it.
I will be paring it with my Bricasti M1SE.

First I will have to reduce a little bit my collection to make room so most likely my Z1R and RAD-0 will go to the for sale forum. Between the Susvara, Utopia and SR-009 they take all my time. I will keep the D8000 at least for a little longer.

It will be interesting to see how the amp compares to my Enigma(with upgrades) driving dynamic and planar headphones. If it wins then the Enigma (which I love) will have to go.

It really is a revelation and the Swiss Army knife of amplifiers...and it drives the SR1a, orthos, and dynamic headphones all brilliantly with plenty of drive and transparency. Looking forward to your impressions! :)

Jan 29, 2021 at 8:39 PM Post #3,434 of 7,894
Not sure if anyone has tried or if the question has been asked. I've tried looking for this but could not find anything.
Is there a way to connect the SR1A headphones directly to speaker taps much like HE6? basically without the speaker adapter box? I have the JotR but want to run it out of amps directly like I have been with the HE6 and AbyssTC. Don't want to blow it up and the reverse XLR is throwing me off.
The SR1A will appear as a virtual short to other amps. Much like connecting speaker taps to each other. Not a good idea, at all. The resistor box basically helps present a load to the amp. Which is why they provide it. As far as the Raal amp, that I don’t know. I would assume it is similar to other amps at the speaker taps.

Jan 30, 2021 at 4:46 AM Post #3,435 of 7,894

The SR1A will appear as a virtual short to other amps. Much like connecting speaker taps to each other. Not a good idea, at all. The resistor box basically helps present a load to the amp. Which is why they provide it. As far as the Raal amp, that I don’t know. I would assume it is similar to other amps at the speaker taps.
There’s one more effect to deal with that prevents direct connection of the SR1a to speaker tabs:

Without the adapter box the unavoidable cable inductance will completely cut the treble.
Only specially designed “Current Drive” amps like the JotR and the HSA1 circumvent this effect.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back