Raal Ribbon Headphones - SRH1A
Feb 20, 2020 at 12:20 AM Post #1,922 of 7,885
Gee, things are happening fast here!

Kelowna, I just wanted to propose you to make some Super-Interface Box, but I see that in my absence, it already happened!

That is very cool and I'm happy to see this!

I'll do it just so people can enjoy the best sound possible from your headphones. Just like when Kaiser has you make your tweeter transformers wound in Audio Note silver wire. Headphone lovers are also just as serious about sound.

Feb 20, 2020 at 9:46 AM Post #1,923 of 7,885
But isn’t the best interface box NO BOX? Like that employed by the Shiit folks with their JOT-R?
I think so also but a Super Interface Box is a good idea for fellows owning high class amplifiers pairing well with those SR1a. So looking at this piece of device with interest.

But I wouldn't connect my speakers with their carefully chosen wires to the new RAAL box making the signal going through the rear switch. Just to say that one needs to disconnect ones or the other.

Feb 20, 2020 at 3:37 PM Post #1,924 of 7,885
Doesn’t the driver in these have limited excursion and exceeding this could cause clipping? At the NYC CanJam this past weekend, due to the loud ambient noise, listening the the SR1a via the JOT-R was difficult and few times at higher volume noticed clipping with distortion. The Shiit folks said the SE1a pair on display with the JOR-R hadn’t been very well burned in. I am not sure that was what caused the clipping.

Anyone else experienced the clipping & distortion at higher volume levels? Can anyone test theirs to see how far the volume pot has to be until the bass distorts or clips?

Feb 22, 2020 at 6:58 AM Post #1,925 of 7,885
Anyone else experienced the clipping & distortion at higher volume levels? Can anyone test theirs to see how far the volume pot has to be until the bass distorts or clips?
Haven’t had that experience. And without knowing the full signal chain and settings (DAC voltage, volume setting, preamp, etc.), I’m not sure what the pot setting will tell you.

Feb 22, 2020 at 7:37 AM Post #1,926 of 7,885
Doesn’t the driver in these have limited excursion and exceeding this could cause clipping? At the NYC CanJam this past weekend, due to the loud ambient noise, listening the the SR1a via the JOT-R was difficult and few times at higher volume noticed clipping with distortion. The Shiit folks said the SE1a pair on display with the JOR-R hadn’t been very well burned in. I am not sure that was what caused the clipping.

I've taken mine to maybe 40% / 50% of rotation with no problem. The quality of the recorded bass determines how much is needed to satisfy me and it varies from recording to recording. But I don't like my bass more real than real. And the last place I would ever make any listening impression decision is at a show where the loud ambient noise level would swamp what I'm hearing to the point where I'd have to advance the volume to a level that would be deafeningly painful in my home listening environment.

Feb 22, 2020 at 7:54 AM Post #1,927 of 7,885
On the subject of the interface box; the Jotunheim R bested my Ragnarok 1 with the interface. But with my PrimaLuna EVO 400 and interface, not so sure there's much difference other than the difference in the sound of the amplifiers themselves. So I wouldn't necessarily say no interface beats using the interface. It may come down to the inherent sound of the amplifier and one's personal take on that sound. The differences at the extreme frequency extremes aside, (the R had slightly tighter control of bass, the EVO 400 had sweeter extreme highs - these are very slight differences to my ears), most of what I heard from say 50 or 60Hz on up (without Loki in the chain) through most of the highs was so similar and I'm still working on which I prefer. Could be a dead heat for me. Of course I'm still looking forward to RAAL's direct drive and if someone markets a "super interface" my interest might be peaked. The key for me is the ribbon drivers top to bottom clarity and transparency justify examining all possible driving solutions. But that's just me.

Feb 22, 2020 at 8:46 AM Post #1,930 of 7,885
Do people with the SR1a who have heard the TOTL STAX with best dedicated amps think that the bass quantity and quality are comparable?
I have been using SR1A for about half a year. Comparing with my previos STAX 009s, I am no regret to make the change. Ppl talk about headphone's sound stage. Is it the width over the head rather than the speakers' system sound stage? Does any headphone reproduce speakers' system sound stage?

Feb 22, 2020 at 10:22 AM Post #1,931 of 7,885
I have been using SR1A for about half a year. Comparing with my previos STAX 009s, I am no regret to make the change. Ppl talk about headphone's sound stage. Is it the width over the head rather than the speakers' system sound stage? Does any headphone reproduce speakers' system sound stage?
The answer to your last question is probably “no,” but with all due respect, I think it’s the wrong question. Soundstage doesn’t mean to me “speaker soundstage.” It means the depiction of the “performance venue,” and includes elements such as instrument location, a sense of depth, air around notes and instruments, etc. All these spatial cues contribute to an illusion of some presentation of reality. To me, closed back cans present almost no sense of soundstage, in part because of the constant sense of physical enclosure. But that may just be me. Meanwhile open back cans present more of a sense of openness, and thus the spatial cues have an opportunity to present the soundstage illusion. Good cans, such as the Stax and Susvara can present a sense of L-R soundstage where the listener perceives they are in the middle of the soundstage. This is still a headphone soundstage. But the special ones, including the SR1a, can present a sense of depth if it is there to be recovered from the recording and the source component has recovered it. The MySphere is also quite good at soundstage, including depth. A really well done binaural recording can present an eerily realistic soundstage that rivals some very good speaker systems. In my experience, the SR1a can do this as well as any, so well that one can almost forget one is wearing headphones—and part of that experience is enhanced by the way the ribbons sit on your head. I have never forgotten I was wearing headphones with any of my other cans, including the MS (and part of the reason for that is the fitment of the headband).

Feb 22, 2020 at 10:38 AM Post #1,932 of 7,885
Do people with the SR1a who have heard the TOTL STAX with best dedicated amps think that the bass quantity and quality are comparable?
I run all my Stax off either a custom T2 or a Carbon CC. I have a Z10E arriving Monday, and I do not expect it to change any assessments around bass. Yes, I think the SR1a and the 009/S are “comparable” in the sense that many listeners will want more bass. I find both more than capable for my tastes, and I listen to a broad range of music from classical to EDM. There is plenty of strong bass energy in music from Dead Can Dance, Cowboy Junkies, and both the RAAL and the Stax reproduce it well. Both can reproduce the 24Hz note at 00:26 in Boz Scaggs’ Thanks to You. Not the way it sounds in my speakers—let’s not kid ourselves—but it’s there. Both sound very good with organ music. Try the Cantate Domino. Listen to any good recording of a double bass. Neither will disappoint. But it doesn’t slam the way a bass head might want.

The SR1a responds well to EQing, better IMO than the Stax. I have added a slight boost in Roon EQ to my SR1a to mimic the way that bass sounds when I rotate the drivers to cover my ears. In that position, bass is excellent and better than the Stax. When I rotate the drivers to about 45 degrees off my head so as to regain the sense of openness, this slight boost below 60Hz gives me the best of everything: openness, air, unmatched speed, soundstage, and full range.

Feb 22, 2020 at 11:12 AM Post #1,933 of 7,885
One thing should be noted with using the Roon, Jriver, or any PEQ for EQ and BSC. The Roon, Jriver, Foobar, or any PEQ's use IIR filters. IIR filters change the phase response as well as the frequency response when they're applied. FIR filters are linear phase, and keep a flat phase response when applied. So I'm going to use Audiolense:

https://juicehifi.com

To create 5 different linear phase 100% transparent BSC filter profiles along with my Super interface. They can be loaded in the Convolution engine of Roon, Jriver or Foobar. Each one will have a slightly different bass response folks can choose for taste, or different albums. Will take 1 second in Roon to switch profiles. Much easier than soldering in different resistors each time you want to try a new slope. And won't alter the phase response like using a PEQ does.

Last edited:
Feb 22, 2020 at 11:19 AM Post #1,934 of 7,885
One thing should be noted with using the Roon, Jriver, or any PEQ for EQ and BSC. The Roon, Jriver, Foobar, or any PEQ's use IIR filters. IIR filters change the phase response as well as the frequency response when they're applied. FIR filters are linear phase, and keep a flat phase response when applied. So I'm going to use Audiolense:

https://juicehifi.com

To create 5 different linear phase 100% transparent BSC filter profiles along with my Super interface. They can be loaded in the Convolution engine of Roon, Jriver or Foobar. Each one will have a slightly different bass response folks can choose for taste, or different albums. Will take 1 second in Roon to switch profiles. Much easier than soldering in different resistors each time you want to try a new slope. And won't alter the phase response like using a PEQ does.
This is a good thing and much better than what I’m doing now.

Feb 22, 2020 at 11:23 AM Post #1,935 of 7,885
I just got my SR1as. They sound very, very good. My package did not come with instructions though, so I don't know if I'm adjusting the headphones correctly. Where can I find an instruction manual? Also, what's the point of the smaller leather strap?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back