RAAL-requisite CA-1a Circum-Aural Ribbon Headphone is here! @HeadAmp
Apr 5, 2024 at 3:20 PM Post #1,006 of 1,049
I think Paradoxper did some of his own ‘experiments’ some time ago. Be careful how much of the foam you remove; if you remove too much the ear pad collapses.
I did that same mod. Start with the closed pad and put one hole center front, one hole top back and one hole bottom back (45 degrees up, 45 degrees down from center). It was very nice. So clear and open.

Apr 5, 2024 at 3:34 PM Post #1,007 of 1,049
You can buy a 1:2 "step-up" transformer for probably like 100 euros and that will do the job for you. I use one sometimes without issue. It removes noise too, sometimes I'll use mine in 1:1 just for the noise reduction on anything where I get power line hum.
Good to know this. I had very bad first experience with transformer, but there was problems in JotR power switch and I had an eur-us adapter, which stucked in the transformer, also. Difficult to say which caused what. If the voltage change repair in JotR doesn't seem possible I'll propably try another transformer with U.S cable when power switch is changed or repaired and fuse changed. I really hope I get JotR working.

Apr 5, 2024 at 4:39 PM Post #1,012 of 1,049
One of the files Mitch provides for the coffee bean pads is neutral plus bass. Do you use this one or is it not there as part of the free test?
I checked this out. The neutral + bass option is for Raal SR series. Ca1a has neutral sets for open and closed.
I made some testing with open and closed pads and have to say the bass is much closer to each other with open and closed than I remembered. I perhaps used sometimes wrong filter sets, closed for open, which diminished the bass.
The Cayin Ha-3a is only 850 mw balanced, but seems to give enough bass compared to others, on paper clearly more powerfull amps. Raal info also says that depending on amp 500mW may be enough. So it seems to be.

Apr 5, 2024 at 4:56 PM Post #1,013 of 1,049
I checked this out. The neutral + bass option is for Raal SR series. Ca1a has neutral sets for open and closed.
I made some testing with open and closed pads and have to say the bass is much closer to each other with open and closed than I remembered. I perhaps used sometimes wrong filter sets, closed for open, which diminished the bass.
The Cayin Ha-3a is only 850 mw balanced, but seems to give enough bass compared to others, on paper clearly more powerfull amps. Raal info also says that depending on amp 500mW may be enough. So it seems to be.
I just checked this and can confirm the CA-1a sets are neutral only. The neutral + bass and neutral + bass + treble are for the SR-1.

Apr 5, 2024 at 6:31 PM Post #1,014 of 1,049
Yes the filter for open pads give a somewhat similar bass to closed pads. I just tried the open pads last night with the corresponding filter (it’s been a while since I used them), and I was getting a similar amount of bass.

Apr 5, 2024 at 9:59 PM Post #1,016 of 1,049
Right now I'm back to listening to open pads with Mitch filter. I forgot how open the sound is, it reminds me of the SR1a which I no longer have. Since I'm quite sensitive to high frequencies, I have to lower 9kHz frequency by about 1dB and use 25 ohm output from Primavera to get a fuller overall sound. And the result is perfect! Bass is very very similar to closed pads, with a transparency that's close to 1266 TC. I'll stay with the open pads for now.

Apr 6, 2024 at 2:19 AM Post #1,017 of 1,049
Right now I'm back to listening to open pads with Mitch filter. I forgot how open the sound is, it reminds me of the SR1a which I no longer have. Since I'm quite sensitive to high frequencies, I have to lower 9kHz frequency by about 1dB and use 25 ohm output from Primavera to get a fuller overall sound. And the result is perfect! Bass is very very similar to closed pads, with a transparency that's close to 1266 TC. I'll stay with the open pads for now.
I believe that my most listening will happen with open pads, but it's nice to have the closed option too. Especially as the pad chancing is so quick and easy.

Apr 6, 2024 at 1:09 PM Post #1,018 of 1,049
Wow I've found a very interesting surprise when I purchased a Burson Soloist 3xp for my Ed 5. When I decided to plug in Ca1a I had fairly low expectations but wow when I put 3xp in power amp mode there is plenty of headroom

Wow this actually something special.. the sound stage isn't as large as with Volot but the imaging of the 3xp and the still large and airy stage and the incredible punch and dynamics of the 3xp make these really fun to listen to!

Whatever the 3xp lacks in ultimate resolution it makes up for in layering 3d and dynamic sound. Makes the Ca1a punchy, airy and very holographic! Doesn't hurt I'm pumping it with 5v out of my Young Mkiii. Really a nice surprise and another is how well Susvara sounds on it as well

Last edited:
Apr 6, 2024 at 2:53 PM Post #1,019 of 1,049
Have you possibly any picture of this?
The right side in this photo is the part of the pad behind the ear.

Thanks. Seems really open pad for me. Ain't the bass going away with this?
Not really, think about how most of the openings are behind your ear, there's only one tiny opening in front of the ear. So it still hits your ear hard before dissipating.
The pads are like $30 right? Just give it a shot. Also consider how much people love the SR1a which literally has no pad at all lol, certainly even with three holes the CA-1a can get more bass than that.

I'm definitely an open pad guy. Just not worth the clarity/air loss with the closed pads. Loses a lot of what makes the CA-1a magical imo, makes it sound closer to a planar and less like a ribbon or estat. Still get excellent bass with the open pads anyway. Also I compared an SR1a to my CA-1a previously and came away from that happy with just the CA-1a. With the open pads (especially with the modded open pads), the CA-1a gets 90% of that open magic the SR1a has, but while having better bass. A worthwhile trade imo.

Attachments

• 431894018_400145109538858_5863392937173412207_n.jpg
    431894018_400145109538858_5863392937173412207_n.jpg
    582.4 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Apr 6, 2024 at 3:10 PM Post #1,020 of 1,049
Definitely the closed pads muffled the midrange too much imo.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back