RAAL-requisite CA-1a Circum-Aural Ribbon Headphone is here! @HeadAmp
Apr 2, 2024 at 10:08 AM Post #978 of 1,049
In any way really, or maybe some comparisons, e.g. soundstage width/depth, imaging, bass weight/extension. CA-1a is roughly 2x cost of HD800S so would like to know if it is worth purchasing (but I'm not expecting the performance to be 2x HD800S).
Soundstage, no. But in every other category, the CA1a trounces the HD800S to my ears, provided the RAAL is properly amped.

Apr 2, 2024 at 11:22 AM Post #980 of 1,049
In any way really, or maybe some comparisons, e.g. soundstage width/depth, imaging, bass weight/extension. CA-1a is roughly 2x cost of HD800S so would like to know if it is worth purchasing (but I'm not expecting the performance to be 2x HD800S).
I bought the CA-1a because I thoroughly believed it was worth it and now sometime later I say that I believe it’s the best value TOTL phone you can buy. But you must pay full attention to what Hiker816 wrote when he said “provided the Raal is properly amped”. There are those on this and the other Raal threads who say that when the CA-1a is driven by the VM-1a tube amp it is on the same level, or close to, the 1266 TC and the Susvara. So, just bear in mind when considering the CA-1a what upstream equipment it will be partnered by.

Apr 2, 2024 at 11:39 AM Post #981 of 1,049
Is anyone able to comment on comparisons with HD800/800S and whether CA-1A is an upgrade?
I really don't think it's much of a comparison TBH, while the HD800S is a bargain at sales prices for the resolution it provides, The CA-1A is a better headphone.
It doesn't have the same Bass issues the HD800S has, better resolution and speed.
Though the HD800S still stages bigger.
Now I wouldn't use the HD800S as a daily listener, it's OK, but mine gets relegated to watching YouTube videos and gaming. But I have a lot of other options, and I know there is a contingent of people out there who love them, and they might have a different opinion.

Apr 2, 2024 at 1:07 PM Post #982 of 1,049
Thanks for this, very useful to me. When you say "soundstage, no" do you mean that CA-1A has a smaller soundstage than HD800S, or just that its about the same as HD800S?
To my ears, the HD800S does stage bigger than the CA-1a in every direction. I can't recall hearing any headphone that stages bigger than HD800S, in fact. It sounds cavernous. If big soundstage is your top priority, the HD800S is a no-brainer. I would choose the CA-1a every time, though, since I also value a bunch of other characteristics.

Apr 2, 2024 at 4:20 PM Post #983 of 1,049
the answer is a definitive yes IMHO night sand day upgrade...but thats my opinion only of course

Apr 2, 2024 at 6:29 PM Post #984 of 1,049
To my ears, the HD800S does stage bigger than the CA-1a in every direction. I can't recall hearing any headphone that stages bigger than HD800S, in fact. It sounds cavernous. If big soundstage is your top priority, the HD800S is a no-brainer. I would choose the CA-1a every time, though, since I also value a bunch of other characteristics.
to me the 800 has an almost artificial sounding soundstage which is why I sold it years ago....

Apr 4, 2024 at 5:47 AM Post #985 of 1,049
I bought Raal Ca-1a and Jotunheim R 115v which I should get working in 230v network. Has anybody experiences with voltage transformers and/or voltage change repairs. I live in Finland, no Scheet audio here. I'd be thankfull for possible comments.

Apr 4, 2024 at 6:46 PM Post #986 of 1,049
CA-1a really is something special. When all the ingredients match, it really is on a whole other level (until probably Immanis shows up on my chain). Listening to below album, on some tracks the bass goes super deep, with skull shattering rumble, while at the same time the treble sparkle is just so natural and has this beautiful decay. String instruments fill in the whole scene and complete the picture in a masterful way.

IMG_3223.png

Apr 5, 2024 at 5:40 AM Post #987 of 1,049
I got Raal Ca-1a about a week ago. If I compare them to Austrian Audio Composer, I have to say both are great headphones but in a very different ways.
Composer needs not a lot of power and sounds very good or great with different types of amps and DAPs. Ca1a is almost the opposite: it needs a lot of power and adjustment. For example I've got on trial Mitch Barnett's HLC convolver and Raal Ca1a neutral filter sets, which Imo are a must.
If one wants to have quality sound easily, Raal Ca1a surely isn't the best choice. But if you're ready to adjustment and possible extra investments of amps and cables, Raal Ca1a might be one of the very best choices.

Apr 5, 2024 at 5:59 AM Post #988 of 1,049
I got Raal Ca-1a about a week ago. If I compare them to Austrian Audio Composer, I have to say both are great headphones but in a very different ways.
Composer needs not a lot of power and sounds very good or great with different types of amps and DAPs. Ca1a is almost the opposite: it needs a lot of power and adjustment. For example I've got on trial Mitch Barnett's HLC convolver and Raal Ca1a neutral filter sets, which Imo are a must.
If one wants to have quality sound easily, Raal Ca1a surely isn't the best choice. But if you're ready to adjustment and possible extra investments of amps and cables, Raal Ca1a might be one of the very best choices.
That's true. It needs a bit of an effort, but the end result is downright amazing. Congrats on your purchase and enjoy!

Apr 5, 2024 at 6:11 AM Post #990 of 1,049
Thanks! I've also tempted with idea of ordering a couple of extra pairs of donut pads and make experiments by modifying them.
That would be interesting 👍🏼

Users who are viewing this thread

Back