RAAL-requisite CA-1a Circum-Aural Ribbon Headphone is here! @HeadAmp
Sep 7, 2023 at 8:22 PM Post #826 of 1,050
The new blue shard colour is awesome! Danny and the team have been extremely communicative and a pleasure to deal with. Trialling the star 8 cable and I don't think I'm going to be able to go without it. Currently running ca1a off an enleum 23r.

Attachments

• 20230907_202631.jpg
    20230907_202631.jpg
    934.1 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Sep 7, 2023 at 9:08 PM Post #827 of 1,050
I've tried several cables from other manufacturers as well as every cable RAAL offered for the SR1a and have used the Star 8 with the CA-1a as well which I recently purchased. The Star 8 is my choice for "pick of the litter". It's a clarity thing.

Sep 7, 2023 at 9:32 PM Post #828 of 1,050
Out of curiosity, which Mitch filter are you using when you're using the VM-1a to drive the SR1a? Are you driving the SR1a using the CA-1a setting?
I am using the filter he created for the new version which enables you to use the sr1a without adapter or changing the setting on my VM-1a...great filter and really easier to use..yes I just keep the amp on the CA setting for both the sr1a and the CA-1a....

Last edited:
Sep 8, 2023 at 11:48 AM Post #829 of 1,050
The new blue shard colour is awesome! Danny and the team have been extremely communicative and a pleasure to deal with. Trialling the star 8 cable and I don't think I'm going to be able to go without it. Currently running ca1a off an enleum 23r.
Thank you! It's a pleasure working with you. Glad you like "Blue Shard". Very best, Danny

Sep 9, 2023 at 11:54 AM Post #830 of 1,050
The only reason I sold the SR1a was bass, to be completely honest.

Not that I'm expecting it to be an Abyss or subwoofer, but it felt missing no matter what I drove it with.
SR-1a/b’s bass extension can largely be improved by EQ, magnitudes more than any amp paring will achieve.
Only if you tend to listen very loud this approach hits a limit.

It‘s quite common, if you read though the postings, that the Raal ’phones, like many others, benefit from EQ.

I’m typically listening at upper medium level, and my EQ (orange plot) follows the Harman curve quite well, while extending to 25 Hz, although I have the flaps open so they are about 1 cm from my ear lobes.

The measurement below was made on my own head, so quite realistic:
Microphone in the outer part of the ear channel, plots with no compensation.

7D95F27A-1857-4D8B-9665-5AB9143732D1.jpeg

Last edited:
Sep 9, 2023 at 12:56 PM Post #831 of 1,050
the barrett filter does a great job enhancing bass and add in the VM-1a and you have to my ears very satisfying bass...

Sep 9, 2023 at 1:03 PM Post #832 of 1,050
I'm really not sure what to get at this point.
I could get one of those again, but part of me is tempted to try the "new kid on the block."

If only more thoughts were of the stock sound.
Not sure I want to go the convolutions filter route.

Last edited:
Nov 4, 2023 at 9:59 AM Post #834 of 1,050
i have a ferrum oor/hypsos and im wondering if it will drive the RaaL to its full potential (with the TI)?
I can confirm that it sounds great on the Ferrum stack. Before I got the HM1, I slightly preferred the Ca-1a to the Stealth. Part of this might be due to the Oor stack not having enough current for the Stealth, but with the HM1, I think the Stealth pulls way ahead in terms of clarity, and resolution. The soundstage knob also compensates for the lack of space, so it's not quite apples to apples here, but the Ca-1a just didn't take as big a leap in performance as I got from the Stealth when switching amps. I also find that the 16 ohm input sounds much better than the 32 ohm one on the HM1, and it was the other way around on the Oor.
This makes me wonder if the Raal would scale further with the TI-1C adapter and even lower impedance, but I have decided to let my Ca-1a and Star8 go for now.

Nov 4, 2023 at 10:09 AM Post #835 of 1,050
I can confirm that it sounds great on the Ferrum stack. Before I got the HM1, I slightly preferred the Ca-1a to the Stealth. Part of this might be due to the Oor stack not having enough current for the Stealth, but with the HM1, I think the Stealth pulls way ahead in terms of clarity, and resolution. The soundstage knob also compensates for the lack of space, so it's not quite apples to apples here, but the Ca-1a just didn't take as big a leap in performance as I got from the Stealth when switching amps. I also find that the 16 ohm input sounds much better than the 32 ohm one on the HM1, and it was the other way around on the Oor.
This makes me wonder if the Raal would scale further with the TI-1C adapter and even lower impedance, but I have decided to let my Ca-1a and Star8 go for now.
Did you use oor+hypsos or just oor?

Nov 4, 2023 at 11:26 AM Post #840 of 1,050
Does it sound good or should i get a dedicated amp for the Raal?
Why don’t you try out what you have at this stage before you decide if you want a direct drive amp for the RAAL? Since you already have it all in place now anyway. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back