RAAL-requisite CA-1a Circum-Aural Ribbon Headphone is here! @HeadAmp
Nov 20, 2023 at 7:57 PM Post #842 of 1,050
Rotating back to the CA-1a this morning. Always an enjoyable listen out of the HSA-1C. :)
IMG_0782.jpeg

Nov 20, 2023 at 8:04 PM Post #844 of 1,050
Not sure why these aren't more popular l, maybe their looks (to some, I like them) or earpads.. but summit level sq for a fraction of the price is crazy and I'd be crazy to ever sell them because to get anywhere near then id have to spend alot more
Perhaps so. I suspect it is also because most folks still don’t know how the TI-1b has democratized the RAAL Requisite HPs. And perhaps hold back because they think you need a direct drive amplifier.

Nov 20, 2023 at 8:14 PM Post #845 of 1,050
Everything I love about my Susvara I can say I love with these, such a natural sounding headphone, very intricate nuanced sound with full bass. I've started to prefer it on my Kinki Studio Thr-1 over my Volot. Perfect match with the large stage and warmth of Thr1. The Volot belongs to Sus and that's another great combo imo

Last edited:
Nov 21, 2023 at 1:12 PM Post #846 of 1,050
I sold my pair mainly because I have no room on my desk for a third amp.

Pros:
- Detail, so far the most detailed hp I have owned
- Imaging, played some cod and was suprised how they worked in that too
- Highs, guitars and drums sound just perfect
- Speed, everything was just so snappy

Negs:
- Comfort, not too bad actually, but velour pads would do wonders
- Build, it is a bit finiky, I liked the earcups, and the headband system works, but not how the earcups are attached. Earpads did not feel too good.
- Cant drive thorugh a regular amp, If you are used to electrostats, this is not a problem

Soso:
- Soundstage, it was not too small, but I would have enjoyed a slightly bigger one. The feeling I got was not grandeur.
- Mids, could have had some more weight on those, I like warm, forward mids.

I definitely recommend these, ribbon drivers are magical.

Nov 21, 2023 at 9:13 PM Post #847 of 1,050
I've found that for me, the T1-1b is transparent to whatever amp I'm using meaning I've heard my amps through enough different headphones I know their sound well and hear them all through the Ca1a. And also they must be amp dependant because on both my amps they have a very large sound stage, not so big that the scene is lost or defuse but very airy, just right imo.

Nov 21, 2023 at 10:27 PM Post #848 of 1,050
Nov 22, 2023 at 6:24 AM Post #849 of 1,050
I've found that for me, the T1-1b is transparent to whatever amp I'm using meaning I've heard my amps through enough different headphones I know their sound well and hear them all through the Ca1a. And also they must be amp dependant because on both my amps they have a very large sound stage, not so big that the scene is lost or defuse but very airy, just right imo.

Agree on the T1-1b. I was telling @Aleksandar R. when I first received them that it is a great tranformer because of how transparent it is and passes through the characteristic of the amp without any degradation.

Yeah... I too have great joy with the SAEQ Hyperion Ge, Phatlab RASA and the Wells Audio Milo. It is even excellent with the Shanling M30 (with the power amp module).

So, I have not had any issues with soundstage with the CA-1a using the TI-1b. :)

Nov 22, 2023 at 6:33 PM Post #850 of 1,050
On the subject of soundstage, I’ve been experimenting a bit with the output impedance selector on my Primavera amp and TI-1b’s impedance:

(1) 25 ohm Primavera + 16 ohm TI: this gives a fuller bass but narrower soundstage
(2) 50 ohm Primavera + 16 ohm TI: bass is cleaner which gives the impression of a bit less in quantity but wider and more impressive soundstage
(3) 25 ohm Primavera + 32 ohm TI: bass is as full as (1) and have equally wide and impressive soundstage as (2)
(4) 50 ohm Primavera + 32 ohm TI: bass is a bit less full than (3) but fuller than (2) and soundstage is equal to (3) with a bit more air.

Still can’t decide whether I like (3) or (4) better, but it seems 32 ohm TI-1b sounds better than 16 ohm on the Primavera. It’s a different case with my CFA3, as I find 16 ohm gives the best sound.

Nov 27, 2023 at 3:35 PM Post #851 of 1,050
How's the ribbon longevity for everyone? I was looking at who else was making other ribbon headphones and came across a chinese enterprise. What got me worried was that there are several people in the comments section on their website mentioning how those ribbons gradually loosened up and broke down the more they listened to it. Is it an inherent problem with the ribbons? Has anyone noticed how the sound had changed from when they've first listened to CA-1a to several months later? I'm not talking about the initial burn-in, if there's any, but rather a more gradual process. Of course if the problem was there, we'd have heard about it in the SR-1a section already, but you never know... They do sell spare ribbons for some reason.

Last edited:
Nov 27, 2023 at 3:46 PM Post #852 of 1,050
How's the ribbon longevity for everyone? I was looking at who else was making other ribbon headphones and came across a chinese enterprise. What got me worried was that there are several people in the comments section on their website mentioning how those ribbons gradually loosened up and broke down the more they listened to it. Is it an inherent problem with the ribbons? Has anyone noticed how the sound had changed from when they've first listened to CA-1a to several months later? I'm not talking about the initial burn-in, if there's any, but rather a more gradual process. Of course if the problem was there, we'd have heard about it in the SR-1a section already, but you never know...
I've not heard of anyone having issues, nor have mine changed. Given that the ribbons are metal I'd expect them to last a long time, longer than other driver types. Sounds like those Chinese ones are just poorly assembled. Also replacements are $450, even if I did have to buy an extra set of ribbons I'd still consider the CA-1a a better value than many TOTL headphones. CA-1a + extra ribbons is still less than Susvara, Expanse, Elite, etc.

Agree on the T1-1b. I was telling @Aleksandar R. when I first received them that it is a great tranformer because of how transparent it is and passes through the characteristic of the amp without any degradation.

Yeah... I too have great joy with the SAEQ Hyperion Ge, Phatlab RASA and the Wells Audio Milo. It is even excellent with the Shanling M30 (with the power amp module).

So, I have not had any issues with soundstage with the CA-1a using the TI-1b. :)
A great side benefit of the transformer box is it blocks noise! The physical air gap in the transformers means you can hook it up to some noisy retro tube amp and it'll be perfectly clear :)

Last edited:
Nov 27, 2023 at 3:49 PM Post #853 of 1,050
How's the ribbon longevity for everyone? I was looking at who else was making other ribbon headphones and came across a chinese enterprise. What got me worried was that there are several people in the comments section on their website mentioning how those ribbons gradually loosened up and broke down the more they listened to it. Is it an inherent problem with the ribbons? Has anyone noticed how the sound had changed from when they've first listened to CA-1a to several months later? I'm not talking about the initial burn-in, if there's any, but rather a more gradual process. Of course if the problem was there, we'd have heard about it in the SR-1a section already, but you never know... They do sell spare ribbons for some reason.
From my recollection Alecksander has mentioned the life isn't an issue for their ribbons and even if they should fail they are relatively cheap to have replaced :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back