RAAL 1995 Immanis
Feb 5, 2024 at 10:31 AM Post #91 of 224
I could, but nah, I'm not going to do that. I check the following sections: Summit-Fi, Amps, Headphones. Otherwise, I'll randomly check something else. Maybe I browse forums differently than others, but I don't often veer to the Sponsored section, and judging by the views and post count, others don't as well. 🤷‍♂️ :pill:

i used to had "hard time" to adjust the way I used headfi due to Meze Elite Thread only exist in Sponsor sub-forum (and mod close all other thread related to Elite in other subforum). Been more than 2 years now, and I still keep check sponsor forum from time to time, they are not that bad actually haha.

Feb 7, 2024 at 10:28 PM Post #92 of 224
I see your point, but I see it as actually evolved design compared to usual pivot/fork scheme.

This is lighter and weight reduction is important when you have the heaviest drivers on the market.
That is how we ended up with 610g for Immanis. Not lightweight by any means, but not outrageous.

What this system with separate prongs instead of a solid fork also allows for, is a simple detachment of drivers without tools, for warranty replacements/repairs, so dealers can repair headphones on the spot. That is a true VIP experience, as there is no need to send headphones away for 2-3 months.

The metal is spring stainless steel coated in unscratchable TiAlN coating for cutting tools, so no chipping of powder coating or paint, like with others, so they will look the same for decades.

It takes 3 hours to brush it and smooth the edges after laser cutting. It's easier to wrap it in leather for 2 minutes, so no real value in wrapping. Wrapping is invented to hide things.
After the prep, bending the right way takes at least another hour, then it's ready to get to the coating.

Coating is an 8 hour process at 450°C and it's far more expensive than leather wrapping, so you won't see it elsewhere.
It's similar to what they do for watches, only harder, as this is not just a decorative coating, and our surface area is larger, so we pay a lot more for this.

There is a real value here, in work hours and expensive services. More than what it takes to produce any other headspring out there.

In general, I don't like to hide how things work. I hate wrapping. I like the natural appearance of materials and fine preparation of them.
I like brushed metal better than bead-blasted, hence the hard coating that protects the brushing.
This won't look like a watch bracelet after one year of use.

I am certainly aware that the norms are different. However, all that comes from what is easy to do in industrial setting, something that we don't need to adhere to.

In the old days, people used to make beautiful telescopes, sextants, compasses, barometers...there was blueing on brushed spiral springs...
All that pride of showing what things are actually made of, and how their internals work, is getting lost these days...

So, after working so much in getting the drivers made and dropped in, I felt that other details should show the same care...
I'm a car guy (I build and race cars) and this analogy reminds me so much of how modern engines are always covered up in plastic, hiding the mechanical bits. Cars were so much better years ago, more mechanical and more soul.

I'm a big fan of the stripped down, functional design of the CA-1a. I just question how much of that should have been carried over to the Immanis, a $9k premium product under a new premium brand. Don't get me wrong, it looks great, it just is still reminiscent of the RAAL Requisite brand imo. I do appreciate you outlining all these production differences though, helps with the feeling you're getting a premium product.

Personally the look doesn't matter for me. I would love a 2 and 3 driver model under the RAAL Requisite brand that's $1-2k cheaper and built like the CA-1a. The extra touches are nice on the new branded models but like I said, it still kind of feels like just a more flashy RAAL Requisite because it still has that bare mechanical feel to it. To be clear, I LIKE that bare mechanical feel (same as I like more mechanical cars), I just don't like paying a premium for it.

Anyway, looks/build aside, it seems you are building an amazing product as always, and I can't wait to listen :)

Last edited:
Feb 23, 2024 at 4:22 PM Post #93 of 224
Agree that Summit-Fi'ers go to the Summit-Fi section when they are looking for new ideas. This thread will surely outlive the other.

Super excited to hear these at CanJam NYC in a few weeks! The entry level Ca-1a is shockingly impressive, I can't wait to hear what a TOTL offering sounds like!

Feb 23, 2024 at 8:16 PM Post #94 of 224
yes, the CA-1a with the VM-1a plays in the same league as the most expensive HP's ..

Feb 23, 2024 at 10:33 PM Post #95 of 224
yes, the CA-1a with the VM-1a plays in the same league as the most expensive HP's ..
It really does. I have had almost all of the TOTL headphones that exist. The CA with the VM is my second favorite pair of headphones at the moment. It's amazing what they did with those headphones, especially for the price. Raal is doing some great things.

Feb 23, 2024 at 10:39 PM Post #96 of 224
Play this fukcing album off the CA and VM and be happy

sMwf4o3.png

Feb 24, 2024 at 12:54 AM Post #97 of 224
Couldn't agree more. The CA-1a is good off most amps, but if you can amp it to its full potential, it's straight up mind-blowing.

Feb 24, 2024 at 1:08 AM Post #98 of 224
So according to the 6moons article, they are making a new open baffle sr1b like headphone (I'd imagine with 2/3 ribbons). I'm real interested in that as well. They are doing big things.

Feb 24, 2024 at 1:15 AM Post #99 of 224
So according to the 6moons article, they are making a new open baffle sr1b like headphone (I'd imagine with 2/3 ribbons). I'm real interested in that as well. They are doing big things.
I think Alek mentioned that he gained some new insight to an open-baffle design, but that he didn't yet know how to incorporate it, and that such a design is far off in the future. I read that to mean there is nothing being worked on currently.

Feb 24, 2024 at 1:27 AM Post #100 of 224
I think Alek mentioned that he gained some new insight to an open-baffle design, but that he didn't yet know how to incorporate it, and that such a design is far off in the future. I read that to mean there is nothing being worked on currently.
Alex did suggest that an updated/new SR style phone could be c. 2 years away.

Mar 29, 2024 at 12:41 PM Post #101 of 224
Not sure why I was not posting here in the first place vs. the sponsorship thread, but will join here going forward. I read somewhere else that @Chefguru started this thread.

If so, would it be appropriate to add Magna to the title for search optimizing? IMO they are also Summit-Fi.

If this community has any interest in memorializing impressions here vs. in the sponsorship thread, should I move my impressions over here also? I know they are very amateur, but while there are so few out in the wild, they may be somewhat useful over here also?

With three Forums active now, I'd like to help consolidate wherever possible to help spread the religion....

Mar 29, 2024 at 1:00 PM Post #102 of 224
Not sure why I was not posting here in the first place vs. the sponsorship thread, but will join here going forward. I read somewhere else that @Chefguru started this thread.

If so, would it be appropriate to add Magna to the title for search optimizing? IMO they are also Summit-Fi.

If this community has any interest in memorializing impressions here vs. in the sponsorship thread, should I move my impressions over here also? I know they are very amateur, but while there are so few out in the wild, they may be somewhat useful over here also?

With three Forums active now, I'd like to help consolidate wherever possible to help spread the religion....
The old Raal thread is already over 500 pages long and so I think it would be better to discuss all things Raal 1995 here.

Mar 29, 2024 at 1:05 PM Post #103 of 224
The old Raal thread is already over 500 pages long and so I think it would be better to discuss all things Raal 1995 here.
He was referring to the Magna/Immanis thread started by @Aleksandar R. in the Sponsor forum.

If one wants to "memorialize impressions", I'd suggest doing so with a formal review as opposed to just dropping them in any particular thread(s). FWIW.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back