R5, a new Android DAP by Hiby
Nov 26, 2021 at 9:40 AM Post #4,111 of 4,409
I’m considering buying an R5 or R3 but would like confirmation on a few things before I pull the trigger.

I currently use an old Laptop that is a dedicated music player. It has the Amazon Music App installed and can output 24bit 192khz via USB to a Schiit Modi. Then RCA out to my 1971 Marantz receiver. I use Google Remote Desktop to control from my iPhone.

1) Would the R5 replace the function of the laptop and also replace the Schiit DAC and stream UHD music off Amazon? Using the Hiby app I could control by my iPhone?

2) Can I also use the R5 as a portable to stream Hi Res Music 24bit 192khz off Amazon Music to my Bluetooth headphones if they support AptX or LDAC?

3) I have 1000 CDs that never get listened to. Could I rip them to FLAC and have enough space in the R5’s SD card for them (offline). Or would offline Amazon Music downloads be a better option if they are available?

Thanks
Just thought I'd offer my opinion on an issue not mentioned.
I originally bought an R3 to use as a portable player but found the screen way too small. It played havoc with my eyes; and increasing font size meant that only one or two words of a song title would be visible.

I sold the R3 and bought an R5, and I've found that far better. Reading what's on the screen is far easier.

I'd also recommend using UAPP over the Hiby music app.

Hope that is of use.

Nov 26, 2021 at 9:51 AM Post #4,112 of 4,409
Just want to warn my fellow head-fiers; my HiBy R5 battery swelled and popped the backplate opened. Under further investigations, it looks like the battery had a heat sink shield glued to the battery therefore exposing it to overheating from the main circuit. To make a story short, the player has become a fire hazard with the possibility of the battery exploding from the glued up circuit heatsink. Make sure you keep your portable well in sight, ventilated and not stored in any enclosed areas where it could potentially start a fire. I would recommend a case if you want to minimize any possible battery damage. It’s very possible that the player power usage is over specified with what looks like an under specified battery, that’s something to check and be wary about. I think it might be better to look for a higher capacity player, maybe from R6 and above if you still want to invest in an HiBy player.

Nov 27, 2021 at 5:35 AM Post #4,114 of 4,409
my HiBy R5 battery swelled and popped the backplate opened.
That's a well known problem here on russian forum. Many ppl had that. So they just ordered new bat from aliexpress and replaced in the nextdoor cellphone workshop.
I didn't have that, but what I'm doing it's charging player while it's powered off, so it's not gonna heat that much. I'm still using qc, but i recommend 2.4A charging.

Nov 27, 2021 at 6:50 AM Post #4,115 of 4,409
That's a well known problem here on russian forum. Many ppl had that. So they just ordered new bat from aliexpress and replaced in the nextdoor cellphone workshop.
I didn't have that, but what I'm doing it's charging player while it's powered off, so it's not gonna heat that much. I'm still using qc, but i recommend 2.4A charging.
Thanks for reporting, the problem with switching the battery is that it’s not fixing the problem due to the proximity of the battery to the main circuitry so you’ll keep swapping the battery until you’ll get tired of it or you’re moving to another player. Mind you if it takes couple of years to go bad then not a huge expense however it’s still an unnecessary expense.

Nov 29, 2021 at 7:40 PM Post #4,116 of 4,409
R5 arrived today. After 2.5 hours of fiddling with it tonight, I’ve decided I’m going to send it back. It doesn’t appear to fulfill any of my needs.

I downloaded the $8.00 USB audio app.

I cannot:
1) connect R5 to my USB DAC (Schiit Modi) and stream from Amazon Music. It’s connected but no audio plays.

2) remotely control the R5 with my iPhone 12 on Amazon Music

3) Using headphones direct to the R5, Amazon Music is laggy or freezes up completely. Yet it works perfectly on my iphone.

4) Downloading tracks off Amazon Music does not allow access to them on HiBy app R5. (I figured this was the case).

If I should be able to do any of the above please let me know.

Nov 29, 2021 at 7:53 PM Post #4,117 of 4,409
There are the occasional glitches. Overall its great.
Have you used Amazon Music App on the R5 and played music through a USB DAC. I cannot play tracks on Amazon when connected to my Schiit Modi DAC.

Also, can you remotely control the R5 with your phone while using Amazon Music?

I downloaded the USB Audio App and no dice.

Nov 29, 2021 at 10:17 PM Post #4,118 of 4,409
Never tested the R5 as a bit bucket so can't help there. I think it sounds just fine as an integrated DAP for what its worth.

I think the Hiby app does what you want but I have never tested it. Others here may have done so; its just not my use case.

USB audio works fine for use as an integrated DAP. I have no opinion beyond that for that app. But the for the limited amount of non-Amazon listening that I do the HiBy app is pretty good. Unlike Shanling the HiBy app actually works for SACD ISO files and it has gapless. I love Shanling but I can't get past the feature gaps in their native apps.

In general I think you want a "bit bucket". Why not just get a good dongle and use your phone as the bit bucket? I use my iphone as a "bit bucket" for my wife's car which has BMW / Apple Car play. It sounds great. Its limited to redbook I think but that is pretty good for a car. I have a dongle for my iphone and frankly it sounds pretty good; just not as flexible as the R5 for my particular needs. I have a monster memory card in my R5 which makes room for a lot of HiRes files; my iphone has only half as much memory and quite a bit of that memory goes to things besides music.

Last edited:
Nov 30, 2021 at 2:01 PM Post #4,120 of 4,409
How am i suppose to do that? I'm using amazon just on R5, old version works fine.
The idea is to have the R5 plugged in to my DAC (Schiit Modi) and then home receiver for at home listening. However, use my iPhone to control the R5 when I want to switch songs, pause, etc.

I have this ability from my iphone using a Remote Desktop app. I can control my laptop (with the Amazon Music app) connected to my DAC to home receiver.

I thought the remote link feature on the R5 would do this. I guess I was wrong.

Nov 30, 2021 at 3:31 PM Post #4,121 of 4,409
Never tested the R5 as a bit bucket so can't help there. I think it sounds just fine as an integrated DAP for what its worth.

I think the Hiby app does what you want but I have never tested it. Others here may have done so; its just not my use case.

USB audio works fine for use as an integrated DAP. I have no opinion beyond that for that app. But the for the limited amount of non-Amazon listening that I do the HiBy app is pretty good. Unlike Shanling the HiBy app actually works for SACD ISO files and it has gapless. I love Shanling but I can't get past the feature gaps in their native apps.

In general I think you want a "bit bucket". Why not just get a good dongle and use your phone as the bit bucket? I use my iphone as a "bit bucket" for my wife's car which has BMW / Apple Car play. It sounds great. Its limited to redbook I think but that is pretty good for a car. I have a dongle for my iphone and frankly it sounds pretty good; just not as flexible as the R5 for my particular needs. I have a monster memory card in my R5 which makes room for a lot of HiRes files; my iphone has only half as much memory and quite a bit of that memory goes to things besides music.
Can you stream music on Amazon Music App through USB to a DAC? Not working for me. As soon as I unplug the USB cable, the song will play.

Nov 30, 2021 at 4:03 PM Post #4,122 of 4,409
Can you stream music on Amazon Music App through USB to a DAC? Not working for me. As soon as I unplug the USB cable, the song will play.

Yes, I just tested it. Make sure you haven't assigned exclusive USB access to any app such as UAPP or Hiby Player. Also, sometimes players don't release the USB device and you may need to reboot and load Amazon player clean. The current version of Amazon Music doesn't seem to be working in Ultra HD for me. Previous versions have worked so maybe a fix is coming soon.

Nov 30, 2021 at 10:25 PM Post #4,123 of 4,409
Yes, I just tested it. Make sure you haven't assigned exclusive USB access to any app such as UAPP or Hiby Player. Also, sometimes players don't release the USB device and you may need to reboot and load Amazon player clean. The current version of Amazon Music doesn't seem to be working in Ultra HD for me. Previous versions have worked so maybe a fix is coming soon.
Your comments have influenced my decision not to update the Amazon app. Right now its working fine and I am afraid of messing things up.

Isn't there a way to revert versions of the app?

Dec 1, 2021 at 7:17 AM Post #4,124 of 4,409
Your comments have influenced my decision not to update the Amazon app. Right now its working fine and I am afraid of messing things up.

Isn't there a way to revert versions of the app?

Yes, if you need revert to an older version, you will need to uninstall Amazon Music first and then side-load the older version from apk. Then don't allow Google Play to update automatically.

Amazon Music version 17.15.6 seems to be the last version that works with streaming at 24/192 (for the R5).

https://apkpure.com/amazon-music-discover-songs/com.amazon.mp3/download/517150610-APK?from=versions/version

Last edited:
Dec 1, 2021 at 8:22 AM Post #4,125 of 4,409
Yes, if you need revert to an older version, you will need to uninstall Amazon Music first and then side-load the older version from apk. Then don't allow Google Play to update automatically.

Amazon Music version 17.15.6 seems to be the last version that works with streaming at 24/192 (for the R5).

https://apkpure.com/amazon-music-discover-songs/com.amazon.mp3/download/517150610-APK?from=versions/version
So I presume you are on that version and everything is working okay?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back