R5, a new Android DAP by Hiby
Jul 11, 2021 at 3:23 AM Post #3,946 of 4,421
What does the WiFi bars drop down to throughout the house?

Do the dropout issues not happen when you're at full bars?

Are you using any WiFi repeaters?
Hello Joe thanks for the response, so I followed the issue quite closely last night. The buffering in tidal seems to happen when the wifi gets suddenly disconnected for a couple of seconds and then reconnect to the network again. The wifi icon is gone from the status bar and then reappears again.

As for what kind of bars I'm getting it's always around 50 to 60% and it's never constant, wifi bar keeps going up and down very frequently. Same thing happens when I'm sitting next to the router, occasionally it will get full bars but mostly it sits between 60 to 80%.

And no I don't use repeaters as I mentioned earlier I live in quite a small flat. None of my other devices like smartphone, laptops, tabs have the same wifi issue as the hiby r5s, they always have full bars no matter where I am in the house and they disconnect and reconnect to the network as my r5s does!

Jul 11, 2021 at 3:32 AM Post #3,947 of 4,421
I've had the R5 for a while and itching for a change. What would be a good alternative or upgrade? I auditioned the Cayin N3pro yesterday and those toobz I love the sig with my moondrops. Any suggestions?

Also I can get that tester/demo N3Pro for around $330

Jul 11, 2021 at 3:48 AM Post #3,948 of 4,421
The buffering in tidal seems to happen when the wifi gets suddenly disconnected for a couple of seconds and then reconnect to the network again. The wifi icon is gone from the status bar and then reappears again.

As for what kind of bars I'm getting it's always around 50 to 60% and it's never constant, wifi bar keeps going up and down very frequently. Same thing happens when I'm sitting next to the router, occasionally it will get full bars but mostly it sits between 60 to 80%.

And no I don't use repeaters as I mentioned earlier I live in quite a small flat. None of my other devices like smartphone, laptops, tabs have the same wifi issue as the hiby r5s, they always have full bars no matter where I am in the house and they disconnect and reconnect to the network as my r5s does!
Ditto on my R5s.

Last edited:
Jul 12, 2021 at 1:52 AM Post #3,949 of 4,421
Hi guys so I just bought a Hiby R5 Saber, and I'm experiencing some issues with my WiFi. I live in a fairly small flat (1200 sqft) and I've invested in quite a expensive router to get optimal coverage all through out my flat, which I do with all my gadgets except the Hiby R5s.

R5s only has a full wifi signal if I am standing next to my router. Moving to any other rooms causes a drop in bars. And the main issue is while streaming tidal I'm experiencing buffering 4 times, in a 3 hour listening session. The buffering is happening cause even though the r5s is still connected to my wifi signal, it won't pick up any speed for a couple of minutes and then suddenly it will resume playing music again.

I'm using 2.4 ghz frequency signal from my router. Being in the same spot using Tidal my Android phone never drops wifi signal or buffers during Tidal playback, nor does my laptop.

Is this a common issue for everyone and can I get some advice whether I should claim warranty for this? Thanks in advance. I bought it the Hiby R5 Saber mainly for streaming music, so kinda disappointed with its performance.

Did you try clearing the Tidal App's cache before streaming again? I also installed an app called 'Connection Stabilizer Booster' since it has 'Keep Alive' option for Wifi.

Jul 13, 2021 at 11:55 PM Post #3,951 of 4,421
Hello, I bought a HIby R5 Saber 4 months ago and out of nothing, like 5 days ago I noticed some vertical yellow lines at the left side in the screen. Day by day it is getting worse and I am really sad I'll have to send it all the way to China so HIby can take a look and hopefully repair it fast.

Never dropped, never spilled anything, were kinda lock down mode still here in Brasil, so didn't even used it outside. I'm really unlucky =/

Anyone with the same issue here? Anyone sent hardware to Hiby's Rma? Are they good with communication and their consumers through the time your product is there?

Thanks!

Attachments

• 20210713_101601.jpg
    20210713_101601.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
  • 20210713_234238.jpg
    20210713_234238.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
Jul 14, 2021 at 6:54 AM Post #3,952 of 4,421
Hello, I bought a HIby R5 Saber 4 months ago and out of nothing, like 5 days ago I noticed some vertical yellow lines at the left side in the screen. Day by day it is getting worse and I am really sad I'll have to send it all the way to China so HIby can take a look and hopefully repair it fast.

Never dropped, never spilled anything, were kinda lock down mode still here in Brasil, so didn't even used it outside. I'm really unlucky =/

Anyone with the same issue here? Anyone sent hardware to Hiby's Rma? Are they good with communication and their consumers through the time your product is there?

Thanks!
Tried a factory reset, might be worth a try.

Jul 15, 2021 at 2:34 AM Post #3,955 of 4,421

Thanks!

I have no problem encountered when I sent my unit back to them for replacement. Although the waiting time sucks due to the pandemic, and you have to pay for the shipping fees as well...

Jul 15, 2021 at 9:31 AM Post #3,956 of 4,421
Hello thanks for the advise. I will try these steps and see if it fixes my issue 🙂
Update. I contacted Hiby about the wifi problem. They suggested: a factory reset (no luck); try another network (impracticable); or return to Hiby for a check (too expensive). On balance, I think I will keep the R5s and just download and listen to streams offline - streaming is not really a deal breaker for me. Also streaming is OK when I can get three or more bars on the wifi icon - so I may try a wifi repeater.

Jul 15, 2021 at 10:22 AM Post #3,957 of 4,421
Update. I contacted Hiby about the wifi problem. They suggested: a factory reset (no luck); try another network (impracticable); or return to Hiby for a check (too expensive). On balance, I think I will keep the R5s and just download and listen to streams offline - streaming is not really a deal breaker for me. Also streaming is OK when I can get three or more bars on the wifi icon - so I may try a wifi repeater.

If you haven't already you might want to try 2.4GHz wifi band. I set up a guest network on 2.4 GHz only and that significantly improved my connection drop issue.

Jul 15, 2021 at 10:30 AM Post #3,958 of 4,421
Even buying a wifi repeater for one device only seems impractical to me. Hiby suggested the same steps for me and non of it worked, wifi still keeps dropping randomly. Moving to any other room where the router isn't present is disastrous for me, and I bought the device mainly for streaming not offline content. I tested this at friend's house as well and same results. What is up with their quality control, they can't make a dap with decent wifi, this is why I was worried about buying Hiby in the first place. At least Shanling M3X doesn't have any wifi issues reported by the users and it's cheaper than the r5s as well, now I'm stuck with an expensive device which I can't sell off and dependent on the warranty policy of hiby and the retailer I bought from. What an unpleasant experience!!

Last edited:
Jul 15, 2021 at 11:32 AM Post #3,959 of 4,421
@Joe Bloggs

Did we ever figure out why the R5 isn't updating the Hiby Music Player? Mine is still on 1.6.0

Jul 15, 2021 at 12:29 PM Post #3,960 of 4,421
If you haven't already you might want to try 2.4GHz wifi band. I set up a guest network on 2.4 GHz only and that significantly improved my connection drop issue.
Thanks for the tip. I created a guest network but still only get two bars. I would really like them to update the music player because I can't get Hibylink to work on the R5s with any device - my old R3 Pro worked really well. The Shanling Music app with Synclink connects every time!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back