R5, a new Android DAP by Hiby
Jun 8, 2021 at 11:35 PM Post #3,901 of 4,410
have you tried both OG R5 and R5 Saber?
have you measure both in scientific way?
You won't get much info from the measurements besides power output capability at different impedances. THD performance won't tell you how much you'd like one other the other. FR are generally flat, so you won't know how it sounds from that.

I'm listening to the Saber now, and it seems to output good amount of power. It sounds to have good performance, and I'm wondering it's due the the Cirrus Logic CS43198? Genrally, I don't like Sabre chips on DAPs, although I've experience an odd one that didn't sound Sabre-ish.

I've been listening with iKKO OH10, and I'm getting good imaging out of it.

Last edited:
Jun 9, 2021 at 11:58 AM Post #3,902 of 4,410
I'll be posting my R5 (non-Saber) up for sale early next week once I receive in a new DAP.

If anyone watching this thread has been looking to pick up a clean unit for a good price shoot me a PM and we can work a deal. I'll make a Classifieds posting on Monday but figured I'd give a first "heads-up" to those interested here.

Jun 9, 2021 at 7:28 PM Post #3,903 of 4,410
You won't get much info from the measurements besides power output capability at different impedances. THD performance won't tell you how much you'd like one other the other. FR are generally flat, so you won't know how it sounds from that.

I'm listening to the Saber now, and it seems to output good amount of power. It sounds to have good performance, and I'm wondering it's due the the Cirrus Logic CS43198? Genrally, I don't like Sabre chips on DAPs, although I've experience an odd one that didn't sound Sabre-ish.

I've been listening with iKKO OH10, and I'm getting good imaging out of it.
I'm totally agree with what you said.. im just asking that person who never AB directly between OG and Saber version but can tell saber is useless with higher pricing such a negative feedback LOL.

Not because of DAC... but the Low Pass Filter, Amplification stage & real 47µF capacitors which has real impact on driver transient.
pf-085f7441-98da-4868-9cda-e22c7dc87ebf--600x600_850x850.jpg

It drives Tin P1 and HD660s on 4.4mm easily + totally dead silent on very sensitive iem ( even Fiio Q5s TC with their THX AAA 78 has slightly hiss )

Last edited:
Jun 9, 2021 at 10:48 PM Post #3,904 of 4,410
I'm totally agree with what you said.. im just asking that person who never AB directly between OG and Saber version but can tell saber is useless with higher pricing such a negative feedback LOL.

Not because of DAC... but the Low Pass Filter, Amplification stage & real 47µF capacitors which has real impact on driver transient.

It drives Tin P1 and HD660s on 4.4mm easily + totally dead silent on very sensitive iem ( even Fiio Q5s TC with their THX AAA 78 has slightly hiss )
Sorry, I never tried the non-Saber version. I do find that it sounds like it has good immediate power, so I'm not surprised electrolytics are used. If there is no difference, just go with the non-Saber version, unless they don't make them anymore.

One of the test of a good drive of a DAP is, how well the bass is being put out. I think R5 puts out strong drive to put out good bass out of dynamic driver iems. The way bass reacts in transient sense, it's quick with ikko OH10.

Last edited:
Jun 10, 2021 at 10:08 AM Post #3,905 of 4,410
I personally focus more on IEMs than on the electronics. I think it is fairly easy to hit a point of diminishing returns with DAP units.

Having said that, the R5 is a fairly transparent unit which is a good thing.

I have only one other hi res DAP right now. That one has a slightly laid back feel (Cayin N5II) whereas the R5 is neither aggressive or rolled off. Kind of a goldilocks thing.

I suppose if the Saber is brighter that might not be a good thing for me.

Last edited:
Jun 13, 2021 at 10:37 AM Post #3,906 of 4,410
Hi Guys,

I want to buy some DAP with a musical, entertaining, warm sound signature (I mainly listen to hip-hop). HiBy R5 caught my attention, unfortunately it is no longer available for sale, while the Saber version is advertised as more analytical.

Has anyone had the opportunity to compare the regular HiBy R5 and the HiBy R5 Saber when it comes to sound signature?

I would also like to ask about MSEB - does it work globally, e.g. while listening to music from Spotify? And does it work when HiBy R5 is in bluetooth receiver mode (smartphone as transmitter) or works as USB DAC with computer?

One more question. Is it possible to turn off the charging of the DAP in USB DAC mode so that it does not use battery power, but is powered from the USB port?

Thank you in advance for your help.

Jun 13, 2021 at 3:57 PM Post #3,907 of 4,410
Hi Guys,

I want to buy some DAP with a musical, entertaining, warm sound signature (I mainly listen to hip-hop). HiBy R5 caught my attention, unfortunately it is no longer available for sale, while the Saber version is advertised as more analytical.

Has anyone had the opportunity to compare the regular HiBy R5 and the HiBy R5 Saber when it comes to sound signature?

I would also like to ask about MSEB - does it work globally, e.g. while listening to music from Spotify? And does it work when HiBy R5 is in bluetooth receiver mode (smartphone as transmitter) or works as USB DAC with computer?

One more question. Is it possible to turn off the charging of the DAP in USB DAC mode so that it does not use battery power, but is powered from the USB port?

Hiby has the R5 for sale on AliExpress, 272$

Jun 13, 2021 at 11:00 PM Post #3,908 of 4,410
Hi Guys,

MSEB does work globally e.g. when listening from Spotify. It is unfortunately defeated by MQA and DSD (as legally required by MQA, and a technical impossibility with DSD).

Not sure about bluetooth and USB DAC mode to be honest, I'll have to check.

Recent firmware does allow you to disable charging above x% when the player is on (doesn't work when it's off), so this should be fine with your last question.

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
Jun 14, 2021 at 1:46 AM Post #3,909 of 4,410
Hi Guys,

And the answer to MSEB on Bluetooth or USB DAC is yes.

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

Jun 14, 2021 at 5:34 AM Post #3,910 of 4,410
MSEB does work globally e.g. when listening from Spotify. It is unfortunately defeated by MQA and DSD (as legally required by MQA, and a technical impossibility with DSD).

Not sure about bluetooth and USB DAC mode to be honest, I'll have to check.

Recent firmware does allow you to disable charging above x% when the player is on (doesn't work when it's off), so this should be fine with your last question.

Many thanks!

So if the battery reaches a certain level of charge, then DAP uses power from the USB computer? My point is whether I can use the HiBy R5 on a daily basis as a USB DAC for a computer without damaging its battery.

Could you describe in a few words the R5 sound signature? Does it have good dynamics?

I currently have a Radsone ES100 and I wonder if the R5 will have a similar sound signature (because I like it) but a higher SQ.

Jun 18, 2021 at 1:07 PM Post #3,912 of 4,410
So, I recently got the ikko OH10, and noticed very clean bass. Now I realize that R5 saber is really tightening up the bass, and the sound response feels tight. So the transients feel quick.

I like the dynamic driver bass response with these. It's quite impressive how the dynamic driver responds.

Like the other poster has said, it sounds like the background is black with airy quality to the sounds, which adds to the distinction of sounds in the imaging.

The highs seem to be in the brighter side than my other source, but not in a sense that seem artificially boosted, it helps with details than just the treble being boosted (because I notice the textures in the sounds as result). So, it has a refined sound quality to the output. I would call it clean sounding? It's quality isn't what I describe as thick gooey type of sound, so it's opposite of that. Not what I call wet warm sound.

Last edited:
Jun 18, 2021 at 8:42 PM Post #3,913 of 4,410
Many thanks!

So if the battery reaches a certain level of charge, then DAP uses power from the USB computer? My point is whether I can use the HiBy R5 on a daily basis as a USB DAC for a computer without damaging its battery.

Could you describe in a few words the R5 sound signature? Does it have good dynamics?

I currently have a Radsone ES100 and I wonder if the R5 will have a similar sound signature (because I like it) but a higher SQ.
Yes as I mentioned, the charging limits will be obeyed as long as the R5 is on. The R5 is on while being used as a DAC.

Jun 18, 2021 at 9:46 PM Post #3,914 of 4,410
I'm still on 1.6.0 and the update button doesn't seem to do anything... I didn't get 1.6.2 either.

@Joe Bloggs - ideas on why no updates? I'm in the USA.
nothing here either. still on 1.6.0 in the Hiby app

Users who are viewing this thread

Back