R5, a new Android DAP by Hiby
Sep 27, 2020 at 1:33 PM Post #3,106 of 4,410
I'm curious- why spend all that money on a DAP capable of bit perfect playback with dual DACs and use Bluetooth? You're losing all of the benefit of the DAP.

My iPhone’s battery was dead, so I thought let’s try the R5 for my walk. All my files on the R5 are hi res, but I do have the Radio Paradise app which plays 16/44.1 flac, so I’ll try that and see if it works better. I should add I speed walk, so the R5 was bouncing around in my loose fitting shorts.

Normally, my R5 is used exclusively at home since it is the only android based dap I own, the reason I bought it. If it turns out the BT isn’t up to snuff for my walks it’s actually not a big deal for me, it was just a moment of frustration. Sorry for being alarmist. ✌️

Sep 27, 2020 at 3:12 PM Post #3,107 of 4,410
So I did a little experimenting and the first thing I noticed was my R5 didn’t have the August release firmware, so I updated it. I repeated my same steps from before this time using Radio Paradise with it’s downloadable content, but I still had continuous drop outs with these 16/44.1 flac files when out walking. This time, I was able to play my hi res content, but the dropouts were even more prevalent.

When I went back inside, I repeated my experiment with the R5 sitting 10 feet away, and almost no dropouts with 16/44.1 flac music. It appears the R5, at least for me, doesn’t like to be moved around much. I have to order another SD card, but I’m going to try lossy aac files next to see if the R5 is better in BT mode with smaller file sizes.

Sep 27, 2020 at 3:23 PM Post #3,108 of 4,410
So I did a little experimenting and the first thing I noticed was my R5 didn’t have the August release firmware, so I updated it. I repeated my same steps from before this time using Radio Paradise with it’s downloadable content, but I still had continuous drop outs with these 16/44.1 flac files when out walking. This time, I was able to play my hi res content, but the dropouts were even more prevalent.

When I went back inside, I repeated my experiment with the R5 sitting 10 feet away, and almost no dropouts with 16/44.1 flac music. It appears the R5, at least for me, doesn’t like to be moved around much. I have to order another SD card, but I’m going to try lossy aac files next to see if the R5 is better in BT mode with smaller file sizes.
thanks for the info, saved me some money.
The hiby r3 has worse bt strength than the fiio m6. so theres something with the implementation

Sep 27, 2020 at 3:58 PM Post #3,109 of 4,410
I'm curious- why spend all that money on a DAP capable of bit perfect playback with dual DACs and use Bluetooth? You're losing all of the benefit of the DAP.
Every so often Bluetooth can make sense. Especially for me when renting cars.
Plus, LDAC and the proprietary HiBy codec can have decent bit rates.

Sep 27, 2020 at 9:48 PM Post #3,110 of 4,410
I find the drop outs are particular, some rooms I get zero issues others it drops out quite often.
Never totally sure what to make of it. If I'm walking around my house using ldac hq I'll use an armband to keep the player close to the headphones, seems to take care of it.

Sep 28, 2020 at 1:38 AM Post #3,115 of 4,410
Someone knowledgeable on one of the sites noted DAP manufacturers do not invest in TOTL BT hardware (as cell phone companies must) hence why their BT performance is typically abysmal.
There are lots of people with the Radsone ES100 who want to use it with their DAP. Our very own Radsone thread proves it. LDAC sounds good. But I think what annoys me is that it works on some units and not on others. Mine works, luckily. Some may want to use BT and can't. It's pot luck with many makes of DAP if BT works. iBasso is worse than HiBy, and HiBy is worse than FiiO. If it is advertised it should work. There are many reasons people want it to work rather than use their phone. They shouldn't incorporate it, unless it works.
🤔😜

Last edited:
Sep 28, 2020 at 3:19 PM Post #3,117 of 4,410
Fair points. I tried BT on my R5 and it was fine if it wasn't in my pocket. I could leave it on the ottoman and walk up to 20ft away and no drop-outs but in my shorts pocket awful.

I was wondering if I had a sample variation, and thought about sending it in for warranty, but your comment makes me think this is just the way it is. Thank you.

Sep 29, 2020 at 3:37 PM Post #3,119 of 4,410
hows the amazon music HD in hiby R5? running smoothly?

Sep 29, 2020 at 3:45 PM Post #3,120 of 4,410
hows the amazon music HD in hiby R5? running smoothly?
Generally the Amazon HD app runs OK on the R5, but Amazon are always updating their app and sometimes the particular version may have problems. At the moment it doesn't show bitrates on my R5 so I've had to install a previous version from APK Pure. In general it runs fine and to my ears sounds good.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back