R5, a new Android DAP by Hiby
Sep 10, 2020 at 10:47 AM Post #2,986 of 4,418
That may be the reason for the slower firmware update if you are using the internal memory to store the firmware. This memory is already half used by all the android and HiBy files.

I'm just on the first update. Let me switch it over to my SD Card for the next one to see if it improves.

Unfortunately, the screen protector that came with the device was a bit dirty, what are you all using to protect the screen?

Sep 10, 2020 at 10:52 AM Post #2,987 of 4,418
...also, i have been squinting at ATH-MSR7b - looks like good match and even includes 4.4 cable. did anyone tried it with R5?

have a nice day!
I've been using my R5 with the ATH-MSR7b for about a month and have been impressed so far. At first I found the sound to be too much treble and lacking bass, but with some burn in time (and maybe my ears getting used to the sound signature), I'm now finding that these are a good clear sounding pair of headphones with a detailed bass when the music requires, (ie it's not overpowering like with some headphones) and very good vocals. The best thing I've found pairing these headphones with the R5 is how well the MSR7b's respond to changes in the R5's MSEB settings - for example when I want a bit of a darker sound (when I'm on a bus for example), I just adjust the relevant MSEB setting and the headphones respond extremely well, without distorting the sound in a negative way.
I also tried the Sony MDR-1AM2 (similar price range, also came with a 4.4mm balanced), but I found the sound of these to be overly emphasised in terms of bass (they rumbled!) and to my ears some of the tonality didn't sound quite right in places.
These were my first pairs of headphones in this price range though (I'd never paid more than £100), so more experienced listeners may be able to provide a better insight!

Sep 10, 2020 at 10:55 AM Post #2,988 of 4,418
I'm just on the first update. Let me switch it over to my SD Card for the next one to see if it improves.

Unfortunately, the screen protector that came with the device was a bit dirty, what are you all using to protect the screen?

I have an unusual habit of not using screen protectors on any of my devices, I like them naked. Even my AK240SS has a perfect screen after five years of use. The R5 uses the latest Gorilla Glass, so it is unlikely to get scratched with normal usage, but I understand some are very careful and like the comfort knowing the glass cannot get scratched with a protective screen.

Sep 10, 2020 at 11:11 AM Post #2,989 of 4,418
I have an unusual habit of not using screen protectors on any of my devices, I like them naked. Even my AK240SS has a perfect screen after five years of use. The R5 uses the latest Gorilla Glass, so it is unlikely to get scratched with normal usage, but I understand some are very careful and like the comfort knowing the glass cannot get scratched with a protective screen.

I just ordered a leather case and some dirt cheap screen protectors and just gonna slap em on. It's just that they will be in my bag and it might get scratches there. I just feel Naked :p

Sep 10, 2020 at 11:41 AM Post #2,990 of 4,418
I just ordered a leather case and some dirt cheap screen protectors and just gonna slap em on. It's just that they will be in my bag and it might get scratches there. I just feel Naked :p
I took all the screen 'protectors' off.....it makes the screen a 'little' more responsive. If you only have a 16GB card...what about Amazon HD or Tidal....they both stream brilliantly.

Sep 10, 2020 at 11:46 AM Post #2,991 of 4,418
I took all the screen 'protectors' off.....it makes the screen a 'little' more responsive. If you only have a 16GB card...what about Amazon HD or Tidal....they both stream brilliantly.

Nah, I'll be picking up a bigger sd card, probably a 128gb one. I just wanted something to play around while I wait for the card to arrive. I still need to get my media sorted and I will need to look for higher resolution stuff to put on this dap. Only streaming service I have right now is Spotify. I had tidal for a bit but I listen to some Asian music and it is a pain in the ass to find on Tidal

Sep 10, 2020 at 11:54 AM Post #2,992 of 4,418
Nah, I'll be picking up a bigger sd card, probably a 128gb one. I just wanted something to play around while I wait for the card to arrive. I still need to get my media sorted and I will need to look for higher resolution stuff to put on this dap. Only streaming service I have right now is Spotify. I had tidal for a bit but I listen to some Asian music and it is a pain in the ass to find on Tidal
I listen to a lot of Indian Music and African Music and there could be more on both Amazon and Tidal. If you get some time play around with MSEB it will hone down and fine tune the sound to how you like it. Enjoy your amazing little R5.

Sep 10, 2020 at 9:58 PM Post #2,993 of 4,418
So I have a silly question perhaps. How do I maximize the power potential with this dap? Do I need to raise the amp level inside the EQ settings? If so, will this potentially create clipping? I have to run my 58X around 80 on the volume, but I haven't moved the amp level from the stock settings. This is about the same amount of volume I used with the 58X and my previous Opus#1s, which had quite a bit less power.

Sep 10, 2020 at 10:15 PM Post #2,994 of 4,418
So I have a silly question perhaps. How do I maximize the power potential with this dap? Do I need to raise the amp level inside the EQ settings? If so, will this potentially create clipping? I have to run my 58X around 80 on the volume, but I haven't moved the amp level from the stock settings. This is about the same amount of volume I used with the 58X and my previous Opus#1s, which had quite a bit less power.

Did you select high gain in the settings? Boosting the eq will be offset by the R5 reducing the gain, typical behavior on daps.

Sep 10, 2020 at 10:31 PM Post #2,995 of 4,418
Did you select high gain in the settings? Boosting the eq will be offset by the R5 reducing the gain, typical behavior on daps.
Yes, it's on high gain. I still have another 20 volume steps, just seems like it should be louder quicker. So does anyone adjust the amp?

Sep 10, 2020 at 10:45 PM Post #2,996 of 4,418
Another thing to check is which volume setting is enabled.
If you go into R5 audio settings and tap "volume setting" you'll be presented with a choice between Exponential and Logarithmic settings, try changing that to see if it helps.

Sep 11, 2020 at 1:08 AM Post #2,997 of 4,418
Yes, it's on high gain. I still have another 20 volume steps, just seems like it should be louder quicker. So does anyone adjust the amp?

There’s a setting in system audio settings to change the way the volume control works, exponent or logarithm. You might want to play with that.

Sep 11, 2020 at 1:10 AM Post #2,998 of 4,418
There’s a setting in system audio settings to change the way the volume control works, exponent or logarithm. You might want to play with that.

Oh, the other thing is make sure in audio settings you have the 3.5mm and 4.4mm outputs selected “Phone Out,” not “Line Out.” The outputs both work regardless of setting, but the Line Out lowers the gain.

Last edited:
Sep 11, 2020 at 1:17 AM Post #2,999 of 4,418
One last tidbit for the night ... I played with Plugins in the system audio settings and HiBy settings. When I first bought my R5, I looked at the plugin options, but I didn’t see any plugins and just forgot about. I now understand these plugins have to be downloaded first. In the HiBy app, there are a couple extra that aren’t in the system audio settings, one of them named spatializer. Check it out if you haven’t, it changes the staging to approximate a loudspeaker system.

Sep 11, 2020 at 8:30 AM Post #3,000 of 4,418
Wow the wireless update takes forever, is this normal?
It does if it's not been updated at all mine was like this for the first update as it was on really old version. It has to update to all firmware incrementally it can't just go straight to the latest so likely your on really old firmware.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back