R5, a new Android DAP by Hiby
Aug 19, 2020 at 1:51 PM Post #2,836 of 4,410
That is true. It is good for one thing though. Making things bulkier than they need to be. The strong point of the R5....small form factor.
Oh sound beautiful sound. The last sense to leave us when we die is hearing. That is why the Tibetans recite the 'Tibetan Book of the Dead' to the dead person over many days. To guide them through the 'Bardo of Dying'. Imagine having your earphones in at the time of death. Who would you listen to?.
Pink Floyd

Aug 19, 2020 at 1:57 PM Post #2,837 of 4,410
Hiby ended up responding, and they stated that this is not possible. However, they did offer to quote the value of the item at only 40 USD, which ends up being about 53 Canadian. Because it would be quoted at being under 60 CAD, it would not end up being hit with any additional fees. Damn, I am tempted to get an R5. I currently use my R3 Pro paired with my Fiio A5 amp. I would end up doing the same with the R5 if I get one.
As a fellow Canuck, I say go for it and take one for our country. Lol! Seriously though, if they are willing to do that and you can avoid extra duties and taxes, then I think the R5 would be a sweet upgrade. Keep in mind however; it all depends on what carrier they use to ship it to you. Most "express" companies like FedEx, DHL, UPS charge "brokerage" fees for their services. If possible, try and see if you can get a slower method with tracking. In most cases (from my experience anyway), it eventually gets handed off to Canada Post and I've never been dinged any extra fees when it comes from Canda Post. I will never buy anything from overseas; if their only method of shipping is via Express courier. If the listing says the only shipping method is via DHL or FedEx, I pass and won't order from that seller. That supposed "great deal" becomes much more expensive if you choose that shipping option. Trust me, I know...just look at my username.

Aug 20, 2020 at 12:22 AM Post #2,838 of 4,410
Thank you everyone for your replies to my previous question :)

I have another one for y'all. I am looking to upgrade my headphones. I am currently using Grado SR80i. I like them but am looking for something that doesn't sit on my ears. I have seen a lot of hype for the AKG 371 and have heard they are easy to drivr, so I was considering them. I have also heard good things about the HD6xx and Sundaras, but I am concerned about if the R5 can drive them alright or not. Any thoughts/options? :)

Last edited:
Aug 20, 2020 at 2:50 PM Post #2,841 of 4,410

I have another one for y'all. I am looking to upgrade my headphones. I am currently using Grado SR80i. I like them but am looking for something that doesn't sit on my ears. I have seen a lot of hype for the AKG 371 and have heard they are easy to drivr, so I was considering them. I have also heard good things about the HD6xx and Sundaras, but I am concerned about if the R5 can drive them alright or not. Any thoughts/options? :)

I can’t speak to the ability to drive the Sundaras, but the R5 in high gain mode should have zero troubles driving the HD650 and its variants.

Aug 20, 2020 at 5:55 PM Post #2,843 of 4,410

I have Sundara & R5. R5 balanced drives Sundara adequately but it feels held back, like capable of much more. Been looking at external amps for this reason.

Aug 21, 2020 at 3:39 PM Post #2,844 of 4,410
Hello all,
I have a few questions regarding this strange review of the Hiby R5

There some cons in that review I have never read anywhere else in a R5 review:

"The touchscreen has some issues: it often happens I press on a button and the UI reacts in a seemingly random way. That’s because the screen registered the input on a different place than what the user actually pressed. This behaviour is highly consistent and confirmed by enabling the “show touches” option under the “developer options” system menu. It’s been improved with recent firmware updates, but it’s still there. HiBy needs to raise the quality of the components because a device that’s frustrating to use is a device you won’t use, no matter how good it sounds! "

Can somebody confirm this touch screen issue?

" Sadly the microSD card slot only accepts cards up to 512 GB. I tested the unit with a card with such capacity and it worked. While the 512 GB might seem high, it makes the R5 definitely not futureproof – 512 GB cards are fairly affordable now, so in a couple of years one would expect to see 1 TB cards at relatively affordable prices, but they won’t be usable on this player."

I know that Hiby claims in the tech specs of the R5 that the player supports SD-Cards up to 512 GB. I have send an Email to the Hiby support and they say the Player can handle 2 TB cards. When this is true why they don't update their home page and tech specs?

" Alas it seems like the HiBy R5 does not excel in battery life – quite the contrary in fact. The company boasts 18 hours of battery life using single-ended output, but in my experience it is barely able to achieve half of that figure even when using sensitive IEMs with single-ended output and local storage. "

It's the first time that I read that the R5 has battery problems.

" When using low-impedance earphones such as the Tansio Mirai TSMR-3 Pro one can clearly hear a persistent but faint background noise. Still, it is apparently there with most tracks, especially those with low volume (e.g. Carbon Based Lifeforms’ Arecibo). "

I thought the Hiby has only slightly hiss.

I have another question which is not related with this review. The Hiby R5 once had a major issue with heat. If I remember right Hiby has solved the heat problem with a firmware update. How warm get's the R5 nowadays?

Thx in advanced

Aug 21, 2020 at 4:18 PM Post #2,845 of 4,410
Hello all,

"The touchscreen has some issues: it often happens I press on a button and the UI reacts in a seemingly random way. That’s because the screen registered the input on a different place than what the user actually pressed. This behaviour is highly consistent and confirmed by enabling the “show touches” option under the “developer options” system menu. It’s been improved with recent firmware updates, but it’s still there. HiBy needs to raise the quality of the components because a device that’s frustrating to use is a device you won’t use, no matter how good it sounds! "

" Sadly the microSD card slot only accepts cards up to 512 GB. I tested the unit with a card with such capacity and it worked. While the 512 GB might seem high, it makes the R5 definitely not futureproof – 512 GB cards are fairly affordable now, so in a couple of years one would expect to see 1 TB cards at relatively affordable prices, but they won’t be usable on this player."

I know that Hiby claims in the tech specs of the R5 that the player supports SD-Cards up to 512 GB. I have send an Email to the Hiby support and they say the Player can handle 2 TB cards. When this is true why they don't update their home page and tech specs?

" Alas it seems like the HiBy R5 does not excel in battery life – quite the contrary in fact. The company boasts 18 hours of battery life using single-ended output, but in my experience it is barely able to achieve half of that figure even when using sensitive IEMs with single-ended output and local storage. "

" When using low-impedance earphones such as the Tansio Mirai TSMR-3 Pro one can clearly hear a persistent but faint background noise. Still, it is apparently there with most tracks, especially those with low volume (e.g. Carbon Based Lifeforms’ Arecibo). "

I have another question which is not related with this review. The Hiby R5 once had a major issue with heat. If I remember right Hiby has solved the heat problem with a firmware update. How warm get's the R5 nowadays?

Thx in advanced
None of the above applies to my R5, caveat/s: 1- I only have a 256 card in, but I see no real reason to doubt Hiby re' 2TB cards, lying re' capacity would backfire on them badly I'd imagine. 2: I don't have any especially sensitive iems, but FWIW I haven't heard any hiss under any circumstances so far.

Aug 21, 2020 at 4:48 PM Post #2,846 of 4,410
The touch screen is a bit temperamental yes.and being small is a bit fiddly with some apps. It often takes a few presses for it to register I find and it's not always the same so must be related to the load of the CPU or something. It's the one thing that is not great about it. But considering the price you cant expect the best touch screen really. Never had ant hiss with any of my iems or full cans. Battery life of 18hrs is a bit optimistic.

Last edited:
Aug 21, 2020 at 4:49 PM Post #2,847 of 4,410
I've convinced myself that the CCA CA16 is worth a shot.
Hello all,

Thx in advanced

Card I can't talk about but battery life is good, it does not get warm whilst playing, warmish when charging...but just warmish. Touch screen is fine if all the layers are taken off. No background noise at all. In fact I love the dark silent background. I love it.

Last edited:
Aug 21, 2020 at 5:05 PM Post #2,848 of 4,410
I've only got up to a 512 card, but I thought I saw a comment from Joe that they'd tested bigger. I have no problems with hiss or abnormal heat. The screen can be goofy, but that's mostly due to the screen protector. Since I took mine off, it's been great. Typing can be tricky, but I blame my big fingers. I can't compare battery life since I always run balanced in high gain. I don't see much in that review that matches my experience - the R5 is fantastic, with great sound.

Aug 21, 2020 at 5:31 PM Post #2,849 of 4,410
Hello all,

Thx in advanced

I've had my R5 for around 9 months and used them single ended and balanced with Campfire Solaris OG & 2020 and ZMF Eikon. Never had any touch screen issues, though the UI is slightly sluggish. A second or less delay between tapping a button and it executing. Most noticeable with quickly scrolling. Using balanced with Solaris I can easily achieve at least 13 hours without the player turning off, but I've never done a rigorous test. I do notice a faint hiss with Solaris between tracks or with very low volume or silent passages in a track, but it's not audible otherwise. I did not notice any hissing with my Eikons. I've only experienced high heat while charging the device from empty to full.

Aug 21, 2020 at 5:34 PM Post #2,850 of 4,410
I've only got up to a 512 card, but I thought I saw a comment from Joe that they'd tested bigger. I have no problems with hiss or abnormal heat. The screen can be goofy, but that's mostly due to the screen protector. Since I took mine off, it's been great. Typing can be tricky, but I blame my big fingers. I can't compare battery life since I always run balanced in high gain. I don't see much in that review that matches my experience - the R5 is fantastic, with great sound.
Does every device come with one a screen protector pre-installed? I can't tell if there is one on mine or not - doesn't seem to peel off easily by scratching the corner and I'm afraid to aggressively try to get it off....if there is even one on.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back