R5, a new Android DAP by Hiby
Aug 21, 2020 at 5:52 PM Post #2,851 of 4,410
Does every device come with one a screen protector pre-installed? I can't tell if there is one on mine or not - doesn't seem to peel off easily by scratching the corner and I'm afraid to aggressively try to get it off....if there is even one on.
Was on mine I took it off I hate screen protectors.

Aug 21, 2020 at 6:34 PM Post #2,852 of 4,410
The touch screen is a bit temperamental yes.and being small is a bit fiddly with some apps. It often takes a few presses for it to register I find and it's not always the same so must be related to the load of the CPU or something. It's the one thing that is not great about it. But considering the price you cant expect the best touch screen really. Never had ant hiss with any of my iems or full cans. Battery life of 18hrs is a bit optimistic.
I turned on "show taps" in developer options and it reveals that a fairly precise touch is required on the R5 screen, but I don't think it's glitchy, it just demands either small fingers (it is a pretty small screen after-all) or careful use compared to larger screen devices.
This is true of MY R5 at least, whether it's also true of another would only really be revealed by turning on "show taps". It helps me by making it more obvious when my fat fingers have missed the mark (more frequent than I had imagined).

My R5 has been more sluggish recently, compared to when new, but I don't know why that would be (I only have Spotify on it now, about 4000 offline tracks, and about 30 offline albums as well). I keep hoping for a firmware update to solve this. Spotify has updated several times, but in all honesty, that only seems to have slowed it down so far.
My battery probably would last about 13 hours playing Spotify offline, but that's a guess as I never run it all the way down.
I'm still a big fan of my R5, so far at least.

EDIT:
I removed the transport screen cover, but left the screen protector underneath it in place.

Last edited:
Aug 21, 2020 at 7:21 PM Post #2,853 of 4,410
Does every device come with one a screen protector pre-installed? I can't tell if there is one on mine or not - doesn't seem to peel off easily by scratching the corner and I'm afraid to aggressively try to get it off....if there is even one on.
I removed the screen protector thinking touch response would be improved. It noticed zero change. I regret removing it now. It fits like skin. My advice, leave it be and just get used to the screen. It ain’t that bad

Aug 21, 2020 at 7:54 PM Post #2,854 of 4,410
I removed the screen protector thinking touch response would be improved. It noticed zero change. I regret removing it now. It fits like skin. My advice, leave it be and just get used to the screen. It ain’t that bad

If I recall correctly, yes, both glass sides have screen protectors. I say recall because a funny quirk of mine is to remove such protectors since I like the tactile feel of the built material.

Aug 21, 2020 at 8:56 PM Post #2,855 of 4,410
Good to know. Thanks for the feedback. The R5 screen is not as responsive as my iPhone or probably most modern phones but it isn’t terrible.
For me, it seems like it is off by a fraction of a millimeter where I have to compensate by touching a fraction higher than I normally would.
Could also be the small screen. How did we ever survive with 4 inch touchscreen phones? Lol. First world problems.

Aug 22, 2020 at 12:02 AM Post #2,857 of 4,410
Good to know. Thanks for the feedback. The R5 screen is not as responsive as my iPhone or probably most modern phones but it isn’t terrible.
For me, it seems like it is off by a fraction of a millimeter where I have to compensate by touching a fraction higher than I normally would.
Could also be the small screen. How did we ever survive with 4 inch touchscreen phones? Lol. First world problems.

I think part of the issue with the touch screen on the R5 is the text and icons are very small, so our big fingers may look like they’re touching the right spot, but not really. I’ve gotten better with less no touches with use.

Aug 22, 2020 at 12:24 AM Post #2,858 of 4,410
I bought the R5 for a sole purpose, to be able to listen to Radio Paradise and SomaFM, my two favorite internet radio stations, at a higher quality than my iPhone. In this, it succeeded, but I didn’t expect to hear my hi res material with such resolution and beauty, so the R5 was a bigger surprise than I had anticipated. I love it!

Aug 22, 2020 at 6:45 AM Post #2,859 of 4,410
Mine came with two screen protectors on the front screen - the really obvious one, which I took off straight away and came off easily, and then a second one underneath that I didn't realise was on there until a couple of months later. This was more difficult to take off and left some residue on the screen initially. Probably designed not to come off - but after taking this second one off the accuracy of my typing was much improved.

Aug 22, 2020 at 9:36 AM Post #2,861 of 4,410
thank you for all of your answers.

I have one more question. I always only use the folder function. Does it last long with the R5 to load a folder with a few thousand songs and can the player shuffle the songs without problems?

Aug 22, 2020 at 10:35 AM Post #2,862 of 4,410
thank you for all of your answers.

I have one more question. I always only use the folder function. Does it last long with the R5 to load a folder with a few thousand songs and can the player shuffle the songs without problems?

I’ve had no issues at all playing songs from a folder in shuffle mode. You’re good to go!

Aug 23, 2020 at 6:30 PM Post #2,865 of 4,410

Users who are viewing this thread

Back