R5, a new Android DAP by Hiby
Jun 2, 2020 at 9:28 AM Post #2,326 of 4,410
Plugged it into my NuC Roon endpoint smooth as butter, no clicks or anything. Played a number of different sample rates and MQA all works as advertised. Using the supplied cable to. Can't use on pc as not installed the unsigned drivers to get it to work.

You on latest firmware?
1.83G
It's not a click as such, but it skips, let's say, a quarter of a second. Noticable especially in songs you know really well.
I tried 3 different cables now, also usbc to usbc.

Last edited:
Jun 2, 2020 at 11:28 AM Post #2,327 of 4,410
DD Hi-fi (https://www.ddhifi.com/) has some really cool ones that are plug adapters. Fiio has some short cable ones (LL-4.4M) that's also really nice. I have both, it's really about your preference. I also got one from Ali that's very nice.
Thanks a lot again!
I will most probably go for the 4.4mm balanced jack to maximize all my gear - said this, the FAW Claire Hybrid 1.5m 4.4mm balanced cable costs 200€+, and then I thought I would need a good FAW exteneder 4.4mm to 3.5mm and this costs 124€ to maintain same quality level of cable in the extender, no way for me.
So if the DDHifi DJ44C does not introduce a sound quality decrease it is a very good option for no more than 30€

Jun 2, 2020 at 11:42 AM Post #2,330 of 4,410
1.83G
It's not a click as such, but it skips, let's say, a quarter of a second. Noticable especially in songs you know really well.

Exactly the same - sometimes I think I've imagined it but rewind a couple of seconds, play back and it's fine through the bit where it previously skipped, as you said earlier like a small skip when playing something on vinyl.

Interestingly .... whilst listening to a CD quality (44.aKhz) track the DAC interface reports playback is 24bits; Roon shows 16bits and terminal within RoPieee shows 32bits. For an MQA (96KHz) track both DAC and Roon show 24bits but RoPiee shows 32bits. It appears that Linux sees the device as only being capable of 32bit playback - this must be something it picks up from the R5 as when I plug in an old Fiio DAC Linux reports that it's capable of 15bit and 24bit playback

Jun 2, 2020 at 12:03 PM Post #2,331 of 4,410
1.83G
Doesn't skip either. Sound to me like a buffer issue your end of it's skipping or dropping.

Jun 2, 2020 at 12:16 PM Post #2,332 of 4,410
Exactly the same - sometimes I think I've imagined it but rewind a couple of seconds, play back and it's fine through the bit where it previously skipped, as you said earlier like a small skip when playing something on vinyl.

Interestingly .... whilst listening to a CD quality (44.aKhz) track the DAC interface reports playback is 24bits; Roon shows 16bits and terminal within RoPieee shows 32bits. For an MQA (96KHz) track both DAC and Roon show 24bits but RoPiee shows 32bits. It appears that Linux sees the device as only being capable of 32bit playback - this must be something it picks up from the R5 as when I plug in an old Fiio DAC Linux reports that it's capable of 15bit and 24bit playback
Ropieee here and it does seem to read at 24bits not 16bits, I wonder if this is the DAC as Roon reports it being 16bit. Roon Rock also shoes at 24bits on the Hiby and in Roon at correct bit depth. This is a bug the Hiby end and its Linux driver I guess.

Last edited:
Jun 2, 2020 at 12:55 PM Post #2,333 of 4,410
How does LG v30 compare to R5?

I can't really tell a difference, but the R5 certainly has more power with the balanced output (which the V30 does not have). I can use my R5 with my HD6XX with no issues.
With that said, I may not be the best judge, with 58 year old ears... The V30 does have FM radio and is a great all-around device for media.

Jun 2, 2020 at 1:36 PM Post #2,334 of 4,410
DD Hi-fi (https://www.ddhifi.com/) has some really cool ones that are plug adapters. Fiio has some short cable ones (LL-4.4M) that's also really nice. I have both, it's really about your preference. I also got one from Ali that's very nice.
This works as a balanced cable? I want to try the balanced output, I think it would be better than buying a balanced cable for each of my headphones

Jun 2, 2020 at 1:48 PM Post #2,335 of 4,410
Anyone experience this?:
Download albums to my laptop from Qobuz in AIFF. Copy to R5 sd card. Update libraries on UAPP and FiiO music. Getting momentary drop outs at the beginning of each song. Irksome. Suggestions? Thanks

Jun 2, 2020 at 6:08 PM Post #2,336 of 4,410
This works as a balanced cable? I want to try the balanced output, I think it would be better than buying a balanced cable for each of my headphones
Nope. It changes your balanced cable to unbalanced, or can change the plug size. There is nothing that can turn unbalanced cables into balanced ones - you need separate common wires. Any plug you see that seems like it will do that (and there are some) will fry your source.

Jun 2, 2020 at 6:13 PM Post #2,337 of 4,410
Thanks a lot again!
I will most probably go for the 4.4mm balanced jack to maximize all my gear - said this, the FAW Claire Hybrid 1.5m 4.4mm balanced cable costs 200€+, and then I thought I would need a good FAW exteneder 4.4mm to 3.5mm and this costs 124€ to maintain same quality level of cable in the extender, no way for me.
So if the DDHifi DJ44C does not introduce a sound quality decrease it is a very good option for no more than 30€
I have both of their right angle plugs (not the square ones but I think they're pretty much the same thing in a different form factor), and they are extremely high quality. I don't notice any impact on the sound. They also look freaking cool.

I had an older Fiio short cable adapter and I had some dropouts and flaky connections. The newer one is solid.

Jun 3, 2020 at 1:32 PM Post #2,338 of 4,410
Anyone experience this?:
Download albums to my laptop from Qobuz in AIFF. Copy to R5 sd card. Update libraries on UAPP and FiiO music. Getting momentary drop outs at the beginning of each song. Irksome. Suggestions? Thanks
I assume its a class10 card I have no issues with flacs. Are they hires or cd quality?

Jun 4, 2020 at 6:57 AM Post #2,339 of 4,410
I assume its a class10 card I have no issues with flacs. Are they hires or cd quality?
It’s a Samsung Evo, class 3. CD quality. Never had issues playing hi res from it or anything else except for these Qobuz downloads.

Jun 4, 2020 at 5:37 PM Post #2,340 of 4,410
It’s a Samsung Evo, class 3. CD quality. Never had issues playing hi res from it or anything else except for these Qobuz downloads.
Is this purchased tracks or downloads for offline playback?

I just tried downloading one of my hires purchases and one hires from streaming for offline playback. Both work perfectly fine can stream and still be downloading to card and it doesn't drop a beat. I am using a good Samsung class 10 card.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back