R5, a new Android DAP by Hiby
May 20, 2020 at 5:49 PM Post #2,236 of 4,410
My apologies if you were the one he was referring to when he said that someone suggested on the forum the R5 sounded as good as a phone! LOL!
No, not me but the V30 was very good for SQ and I find the S10+ great too with IEM's. (using UAPP).

May 20, 2020 at 5:51 PM Post #2,237 of 4,410
No, not me but the V30 was very good for SQ and I find the S10+ great too with IEM's. (using UAPP).
I'd buy an Android based phone but I have too many other Apple products and need to stay within the ecosystem so that everything syncs and handoffs to eachother. I'm thinking that apple is eventually going to come out with high-res DACs in their phones anyhow

May 20, 2020 at 5:55 PM Post #2,238 of 4,410
I'd buy an Android based phone but I have too many other Apple products and need to stay within the ecosystem so that everything syncs and handoffs to eachother. I'm thinking that apple is eventually going to come out with high-res DACs in their phones anyhow

I'm more inclined to think people will go off Apple myself, I did about 5 year ago but still have a 5SE 128GB as a tiny DAP.

I looked after phone contracts at work for last 10 years and even the old "die hard" fanboys went over to Android. Now only have 3 who still stick with Apple. Our Australian staff still favour iPhone.

Last edited:
May 21, 2020 at 2:52 AM Post #2,239 of 4,410
I'm more inclined to think people will go off Apple myself, I did about 5 year ago but still have a 5SE 128GB as a tiny DAP.

I looked after phone contracts at work for last 10 years and even the old "die hard" fanboys went over to Android. Now only have 3 who still stick with Apple. Our Australian staff still favour iPhone.
I was the same used iPods and iPhone then got fed up of having to use a closed eco system and at the time iTunes and the fact my iPod Touch and iPhone3 lasted about a year and a half before kicking it. I was never a fanboy though and never owned any other Apple products. So I switched and never looked back.

I don't see the point really of spending a lot on flagship phones you just don't need to have a bigger screen , faster cpu, better camera etc to make phone calls, look at the web and use social media, which is what most use them for. Had my one plus 5 for nearly 3 years, was relatively cheap and still going strong, including the battery. It didn't sound too bad either but I got a DAP as it doesn't play well with USB DACs. Sound great but UAPP loses it all the time down after an album stops to its batter management I just can't get around

Last edited:
May 22, 2020 at 12:20 PM Post #2,240 of 4,410
Is there any alternative to Android File Transfer for us Mac users?
also,
I recently purchase a CD ripping program for Mac called dbPoweramp which includes a metadata tag editor called, "Perfect Tunes." I've been able to use the program to go into my Sony DAP (connected to my Mac with cable) to edit metadata, but it doesn't seem to be able to find the R5 when I connect it the same way. I can't seem to see my R5 on my Mac except through using Android File Transfer. It's strange that it's not coming up as a drive on my Mac. I've enabled the R5 in its settings to be recognized as a storage drive, but this makes no difference. Any ideas?

May 22, 2020 at 12:49 PM Post #2,241 of 4,410
Is there any alternative to Android File Transfer for us Mac users?
also,
I recently purchase a CD ripping program for Mac called dbPoweramp which includes a metadata tag editor called, "Perfect Tunes." I've been able to use the program to go into my Sony DAP (connected to my Mac with cable) to edit metadata, but it doesn't seem to be able to find the R5 when I connect it the same way. I can't seem to see my R5 on my Mac except through using Android File Transfer. It's strange that it's not coming up as a drive on my Mac. I've enabled the R5 in its settings to be recognized as a storage drive, but this makes no difference. Any ideas?
The R5 as a modern android device can only connect to a PC using the MTP protocol, rather than as a standard external drive.

To use your computer app to edit metadata, you would first have to eject the card storing the songs from the R5, and plug it into a regular card reader.

Sorry about that.

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
May 22, 2020 at 2:13 PM Post #2,242 of 4,410
The R5 as a modern android device can only connect to a PC using the MTP protocol, rather than as a standard external drive.

To use your computer app to edit metadata, you would first have to eject the card storing the songs from the R5, and plug it into a regular card reader.

Sorry about that.
No problem, thanks for the explanation.

May 22, 2020 at 2:54 PM Post #2,243 of 4,410
You can use this File Manager app to copy from network share to the Hiby this is how I do it from my NAS. Just ensure you make an SMB share on the directory with you music and it should be able to connect and transfer wirelessly. It also has a wireless pc transfer option which you can copy from a browser to via a share it creates. So you can go from Mac to Hiby.

Screenshot_20200522-195218.jpg

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200522-195702.jpg
    Screenshot_20200522-195702.jpg
    136.8 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
May 23, 2020 at 12:42 AM Post #2,244 of 4,410
You can use this File Manager app to copy from network share to the Hiby this is how I do it from my NAS. Just ensure you make an SMB share on the directory with you music and it should be able to connect and transfer wirelessly. It also has a wireless pc transfer option which you can copy from a browser to via a share it creates. So you can go from Mac to Hiby.

Screenshot_20200522-195218.jpg
Thanks, I’ll check it out when I get a chance

May 23, 2020 at 9:35 AM Post #2,245 of 4,410
Just bought the Shure SRH1840s cans which I thought I'd be using with my Sony WM1A, but that DAP doesn't really adequately power these headphones. I was going to return them, but then tried them with the R5, and WOW, the synergy is perfect. They work out perfectly with this DAP. The increased power really comes in handy here. And once the upgraded, balanced (4.4) cable I ordered comes for these headphones, they're going to sound all that much better with the R5.

Last edited:
May 23, 2020 at 2:22 PM Post #2,246 of 4,410
For months, I was perfectly happy using my IMR R2 Red`s powered with the Hiby R5.

Then,.. I started looking at headphones again due to comfort/no twiddling in my ears ( are there any in-ear that don`t require this periodically?).... and somehow found myself following the 1more H1707 on-ear thread.

FFWD a few weeks where I managed to buy a set from amazon UK "like new " for £82... (still happens!!!)

Initially,... it was good ( what I was used to)….. but I was not enamoured.

At this point... I`m looking at the H1707 mods thread to bring the mids/highs up with a foam gasket modification, however,... it had the potential (bass sounded right).

I then ordered a balanced cable (any balanced cable made for the hifiman HE400S, 400i, 560 etc will be fine)..

Jaw drop!!!!!! (no mods required). I totally get why some reviewers have stated these cans need a lot of power.

The R5 delivers it easily.

Last edited:
May 26, 2020 at 11:48 AM Post #2,249 of 4,410
Does anyone have a link to the Hiby screen protector for the R5? Mine came off when I slid the Hiby leather case onto the R5. And I really like the original one that it came with.

Last edited:
May 26, 2020 at 1:35 PM Post #2,250 of 4,410
Does anyone have a link to the Hiby screen protector for the R5? Mine came off when I slid the Hiby leather case onto the R5. And I really like the original one that it came with.
Was there not two supplied with your Hiby? One already fitted, and the other in the box. Mine came with two.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back