R5, a new Android DAP by Hiby
May 18, 2020 at 11:44 AM Post #2,221 of 4,410
Hey Joe, glad to see you posting here.

Is there any plan to separate out volume for the 3.5 vs. the 4.4 balanced out? My scenario is to set 3.5 for line out full volume for car use; and 4.4 at a lower volume for IEM use. I sometimes still forget that I cranked up the volume for use in the car when I put in the IEMs for phone out usage.

At $300 this is unit is one of the best values in audiophile land.

For the person who asked about ISO playback for DSD/SACD; the native HiBy app handles that just fine. Last I checked even Shanling couldn't pull that off with its native app for the M6 which is the main unit I had considered before going with the R5.

Seems like Hiby and FIIO have their Android game going as both can offer system wide EQ and system wide bypass of Android audio limits and their core playback software can handle ISO.

Last edited:
May 18, 2020 at 2:32 PM Post #2,222 of 4,410
Both of you--have you tried checking to see if Spotify has Battery Optimisation applied to it, and if so disabling that for the app? (Spotify and UAPP respectively))
https://www.makeuseof.com/tag/androids-battery-optimization-harm-good/

@CrystalGipsy -- have you also tried the dedicated BubbleUPnP app? That comes with instructions to help you configure it for background UPnP processing.
Thanks for that Joe, but I've already switched off batt' optimisation for Spotify, and Tidal.
I also checked "adaptive battery" from that guide you posted as I'd never spotted that one before, but it doesn't appear on the version of Android Hiby have on the R5. It does however offer control over "Battery saver" and "Idle shutdown", but I have had both of these turned off for some time already.

May 18, 2020 at 2:52 PM Post #2,223 of 4,410
Hmm twice today the R5 has lost functionality of the play controls. Would not do anything at all on any app. Anybody else had this happen? @Joe Bloggs any ideas what might cause this?

May 19, 2020 at 9:14 AM Post #2,224 of 4,410
With queer problems like this it would generally be good to be able to get system logs, but the way to get them is less than straightforward...

1. Install Matlog on the R6 from google play.
2. Follow this guide to set up ADB on your computer and the R6: https://www.xda-developers.com/install-adb-windows-macos-linux/
3. On the computer, run the following shell command to allow Matlog to read logs from the R6:
adb shell pm grant com.pluscubed.matlog android.permission.READ_LOGS

If all goes well you would be able to see / keep a running log of system messages and be able to save a bunch of these from around the time the glitches happen, to send to us for analysis.

I can't promise that that would then lead to a fix for the problems but it would hopefully be a start towards understanding them.

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
May 20, 2020 at 9:07 AM Post #2,225 of 4,410
Another niggle I am finding is that WiFi does not extend that far, does not roam well and will often disconnect completely when swapping channels or when it does move over to another AP. I have two APs in my house one for down stairs and one for upstairs. They are on same ssid but different channels. And it just cuts out rather than seamlessly switch like all other devices I have do.

May 20, 2020 at 10:42 AM Post #2,226 of 4,410
I'm really impressed by the R5. It sounds amazing for such a small player, really packs a PUNCH! I purchased it at the same time as the $1200 Sony WM1A and had to listen to them both several times, switching back and forth, before I noticed a difference. The WM1A has just slightly better separation, just a smidge of a wider soundstage, slightly better bass, and of course it has the warmish Sony sound signature, but they both seem to put out a similar level of power, which is amazing for the R5. Once in a while, while scrolling or clicking through rapidly, the R5 is glitching, showing a blank pastel colored screen for a moment before correcting itself, but this doesn't occur too often and is tolerable. Just learned that I cannot listen to my (protected) M4P files on an Android device which is really unfortunate. Wish I had never purchased tracks from iTunes way back before I knew any better.

Last edited:
May 20, 2020 at 12:09 PM Post #2,227 of 4,410
I'm really impressed by the R5. It sounds amazing for such a small player, really packs a PUNCH! I purchased it at the same time as the $1200 Sony WM1A and had to listen to them both several times, switching back and forth, before I noticed a difference. The WM1A has just slightly better separation, just a smidge of a wider soundstage, slightly better bass, and of course it has the warmish Sony sound signature, but they both seem to put out a similar level of power, which is amazing for the R5. Once in a while, while scrolling or clicking through rapidly, the R5 is glitching, showing a blank pastel colored screen for a moment before correcting itself, but this doesn't occur too often and is tolerable. Just learned that I cannot listen to my (protected) M4P files on an Android device which is really unfortunate. Wish I had never purchased tracks from iTunes way back before I knew any better.
Mines done the screen thing a few times to. Interesting that it holds up sq wise to a far more expensive flagship device. Funny as some reviews I have read says it sounds no better than a phone . Lol

Last edited:
May 20, 2020 at 12:46 PM Post #2,228 of 4,410
Mines done the screen thing a few times to. Interesting that it holds up sq wise to a far more expensive flagship device. Funny as some reviews I have read says it sounds no better than a phone . Lol
Sounds no better than a PHONE?!! That's nuts! This thing is incredible for its size. And sounds WAY, WAY better. And I love all the sound enhancements/adjustments. It's gotta be the best thing out there for it's size/price. Whoever thought that must've been using some really inferior earphones.

May 20, 2020 at 1:39 PM Post #2,229 of 4,410
Sounds no better than a PHONE?!! That's nuts! This thing is incredible for its size. And sounds WAY, WAY better. And I love all the sound enhancements/adjustments. It's gotta be the best thing out there for it's size/price. Whoever thought that must've been using some really inferior earphones.
Hi again, I just ordered an R3 Pro out of curiosity. I did like the R5 too.

May 20, 2020 at 2:47 PM Post #2,231 of 4,410
It was on one of the reviews on here if I remember correctly. Lol.

Last edited:
May 20, 2020 at 4:45 PM Post #2,232 of 4,410
It was on one of the reviews on here if I remember correctly. Lol.
Well, to each his own, and the way all these DAPs sound is pretty subjective I suppose. I guess there are several factors, such as your hearing, different earphones/headphones, SE vs. balanced, settings of the device, and just personal sound preferences. So, anyone can make any kind of judgement and have a basis for it I guess..

May 20, 2020 at 5:04 PM Post #2,233 of 4,410
Well, to each his own, and the way all these DAPs sound is pretty subjective I suppose. I guess there are several factors, such as your hearing, different earphones/headphones, SE vs. balanced, settings of the device, and just personal sound preferences. So, anyone can make any kind of judgement and have a basis for it I guess..
I've had IEM's that sound just as good out of a decent phone. Used Klipsch X10i for years before I went higher end and they would'nt resolve differences in DAP's/DAC's like my SE846 and K10U's do.

May 20, 2020 at 5:35 PM Post #2,234 of 4,410
I've had IEM's that sound just as good out of a decent phone. Used Klipsch X10i for years before I went higher end and they would'nt resolve differences in DAP's/DAC's like my SE846 and K10U's do.
My apologies if you were the one he was referring to when he said that someone suggested on the forum the R5 sounded as good as a phone! LOL!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back