R5, a new Android DAP by Hiby
Apr 19, 2020 at 1:29 PM Post #2,041 of 4,410
All I can compare against is my OnePlus 5 phone which BT works better than the R5 on my Shure BT2 mmxc adaptor. It's still not perfect but as it's bt5 maybe it helps get a better constant connection. The R5 sounds great over AptxHD just can't move when I am listening .:)

Apr 19, 2020 at 2:06 PM Post #2,042 of 4,410
I had to return 2 R5s. In both cases something big inside was loose, sounded like the board or battery. Musicteck has been great, he received a new batch so he can send me a third one, or another player. I am debating just grabbing a shanling m2x, as I am not sure i trust hiby build quality. Anyone had one for a while who can comment?

Apr 19, 2020 at 2:09 PM Post #2,043 of 4,410
Not found the bt to be very good myself breaks up to easily. It's the only Achilles heel I have found on it.
I find my R5 Bluetooth to be strong and reliable.

Apr 19, 2020 at 2:12 PM Post #2,044 of 4,410
I had to return 2 R5s. In both cases something big inside was loose, sounded like the board or battery. Musicteck has been great, he received a new batch so he can send me a third one, or another player. I am debating just grabbing a shanling m2x, as I am not sure i trust hiby build quality. Anyone had one for a while who can comment?
Depend how much you need android i suppose.

Apr 19, 2020 at 4:51 PM Post #2,045 of 4,410
If you use Tidal and want offline playback you will be out of luck on the Shanling as only the official apps can do offline and it will use their own OS and software. So if you dont like their software it you cant change it like with Android.

Apr 19, 2020 at 5:56 PM Post #2,046 of 4,410
I don't use tidal. I use Spotify. I know what each player can and cannot do. U prefer the extra goodies on the r5 but I worry about the build quality. Aside from the moving part it just didn't feel as solid as a shanling.

Would flac files play as well on each?

Would either be better at driving bt770 80ohms?

I would love to stream Spotify but if the player won't last then it is not worth it.

maybe shanling will have a smaller android player sometime in the future in which case i just need a good flac player for now.

Apr 19, 2020 at 6:20 PM Post #2,047 of 4,410
There is no Spotify app on Shanling products so your out of luck there. It will play flac fine. No issues with build here, seems very solidly built, no rattle. But I would be put off to if I had got one that rattled so.

Apr 20, 2020 at 11:41 PM Post #2,048 of 4,410
ATTENTION:
HIBY R5 IS NOW ON SALE FOR $299 @ MusicTeck ........... I couldn't resist, I had to buy a new DAP! I've been eyeing this bad boy for a while. It seems like the perfect Mid-Tier DAP... ESPECIALLY @ $300.

Cannot wait to hook these up to my Fearless S8F's!!

Apr 21, 2020 at 8:51 AM Post #2,049 of 4,410
Has anyone had trouble with the SIM tray? I cannot open mine. Have no issues opening mobile phone SIM trays, so....? HELP!

Apr 21, 2020 at 8:52 AM Post #2,050 of 4,410
Ordered mine a couple of weeks ago and cannot wait to hook my Nighthawks up to it as it should have plenty of power to drive them while being a little more portable.
For folks asking about driving planars like Hifiman I can test it out since I have a pair of the HE4XX and if I really want to spend the money on a cable I'll try my Audeze 2C closed-backs. The only thing is I don't have much confidence that the R5 will be able to drive planars to their full potential. The reason for this is the player is still limited by a battery and planars in general take a ton of amperage to drive regardless of the ohm rating. Some do better than others but I really think you'll see a pretty big battery drain compared to IEMs or less hard to drive dynamics.

Apr 21, 2020 at 10:07 AM Post #2,052 of 4,410
Ordered mine a couple of weeks ago and cannot wait to hook my Nighthawks up to it as it should have plenty of power to drive them while being a little more portable.
For folks asking about driving planars like Hifiman I can test it out since I have a pair of the HE4XX and if I really want to spend the money on a cable I'll try my Audeze 2C closed-backs. The only thing is I don't have much confidence that the R5 will be able to drive planars to their full potential. The reason for this is the player is still limited by a battery and planars in general take a ton of amperage to drive regardless of the ohm rating. Some do better than others but I really think you'll see a pretty big battery drain compared to IEMs or less hard to drive dynamics.
Just paired Hifiman Sundara with R5. Have to generally crank volume above 70, about twice as high as iems, plus high gain. Hooked Sundara to my NAD amp and didn’t notice a difference in sound quality. I’d like to read your thoughts on usefulness of external amp. Thanks

Apr 21, 2020 at 10:27 AM Post #2,053 of 4,410
For me using an external amp is about having overhead. Its really nice not having to crank equipment to max levels to get the sound you desire, think depth of sound and heat(my office is small lol). I can tell a difference when driving headphones off of my es100, schitt magni, Monolith THX DAC/AMP and emotiva A100. To me it comes to raw power, as i move up in power I get more of everything at a lower volume(everything sounds richer to me) and the es100 runs out of power quicker than any of my external amps(specially with my big planars) due to its running off a battery, meaning I can enjoy my harder to drive headphones longer without worrying about any degradation. Now I do give Hifimann this, their planars seem to be a lot easier to drive than others. My LCD2CBs really enjoy a couple watts or more to really shine.

Apr 21, 2020 at 2:40 PM Post #2,054 of 4,410
Has anyone had trouble with the SIM tray? I cannot open mine. Have no issues opening mobile phone SIM trays, so....? HELP!
No used the tool they supplied to pop it out and putting in card was a doddle.

Apr 22, 2020 at 11:26 PM Post #2,055 of 4,410
i have to ask, why does my tidal app occasionally logs me out on the r5 but isnt happening either on pc or my note 10+, and the response speed isnt as satisfactory? sometimes it shows a rounding arrow like a refresh icon

Users who are viewing this thread

Back