R5, a new Android DAP by Hiby
Apr 24, 2020 at 11:25 PM Post #2,073 of 4,410
Hey all,
So I feel like this is a really stupid question and I am missing something obvious but how do you add music to the player?

I plugged it into my computer and the blank r5 folder pops up but it won't let me drag and drop anything into it.
drag down notification bar, change the usb option to mtp

Apr 25, 2020 at 3:08 AM Post #2,074 of 4,410
Really liking the system wide MSEB. Works great w the 20 band para EQ’d Neutron app for adding a few light finishing touches

Apr 25, 2020 at 5:46 AM Post #2,075 of 4,410
Anyone know if there is case with a belt clip for the R5?

Apr 25, 2020 at 1:53 PM Post #2,077 of 4,410
Just like to give fair credit here. R5 is best dap I’ve owned, happiest with. Contenders include iPod, iPhone, AR m20, FiiO M9, Sony A45, an early iRiver device, Cowon Plenue D, likely one or two more. Save for dodgy BT, R5 is level of performance and user experience I’ve long awaited. Thanks
Hiby R5 is the best Dap i have owned the WIFI being the one bugbear it struggles to connect between 1/2 pm but then connects and remains so

Apr 25, 2020 at 3:15 PM Post #2,078 of 4,410
I have a strange problem with WIFI on the R5 .. the device says it connected to my WIFI and the logo etc say the same thing .. but when using APPS such as Amazon Music HD , Tidal , BBC Sounds, Tunein , it just buffers .. turn it off and on a few times and it then connects and stays so .. but why are the Apps playing up despite there being WIFI .. this has happened in the last couple of days , prior to that it worked fine.

Using Amazon Music HD as I type this without any issues at all on 2Ghz Wi-Fi , Tidal is the same. The only reason i`m not using 5Ghz Wi-Fi at moment is that there are many other devices in this household using 5 Ghz, and i wanted at least an exclusive channel for my my audio (with two teenagers in the house).

Is this perhaps a bandwidth issue with your IP provider, as opposed to 2 or 5 Ghz Wi-Fi issue internally?

Apr 25, 2020 at 3:34 PM Post #2,079 of 4,410
Is this perhaps a bandwidth issue with your IP provider, as opposed to 2 or 5 Ghz Wi-Fi issue internally?

I'm not who you are replying to but I have the same issue and it's not related to bandwidth in my case. My R5 occasionally loses its internet connection in all apps, it has since the day I got it and I've gone through just about everything trying to figure it out. It can go days without the issue and then other days it happens multiple times. Always turning the wifi off and back on on the R5 fixes it, no other devices on the network are affected, and rebooting the access point doesn't have any impact on it. The only pattern I've noticed is that it seems to happen more frequently in the hours after rebooting the R5 and then becomes less frequent after the R5 has been on for awhile. Regarding bandwidth, I have plenty and I've confirmed multiple times that other devices are able to access whatever the R5 can't. Also, unless I disable and re-enable the wifi on the R5 (or reboot it) it will not start working again. Normal behavior if it's having bandwidth issues is that it will start working again once bandwidth becomes available. This issue seems like a bug of some sort with the R5 itself, everything about the R5 suggests it's still connected via wifi but it just does not transfer any data (until wifi is disabled/re-enabled).

Apr 25, 2020 at 3:38 PM Post #2,080 of 4,410
This issue seems like a bug of some sort with the R5 itself, everything about the R5 suggests it's still connected via wifi but it just does not transfer any data (until wifi is disabled/re-enabled).

I am not experiencing any issues as you describe. Amazon music HD has been running solid for 2 days without any drop-outs for me.

Apr 25, 2020 at 3:40 PM Post #2,081 of 4,410
Using Amazon Music HD as I type this without any issues at all on 2Ghz Wi-Fi , Tidal is the same. The only reason i`m not using 5Ghz Wi-Fi at moment is that there are many other devices in this household using 5 Ghz, and i wanted at least an exclusive channel for my my audio (with two teenagers in the house).

When i use the R5 there is nothing else using my wifi at the same time.. it's bizarre how it losses connection for a hour then suddenly it stays connected for hours on end.

Apr 25, 2020 at 3:45 PM Post #2,082 of 4,410
When i use the R5 there is nothing else using my wifi at the same time.. it's bizarre how it losses connection for a hour then suddenly it stays connected for hours on end.
This may, or may not be relevant, but my earlier experience with the internet has been with similar issues as you describe, using the typical IP supplied modem/routers.

Presently, i am using a TP-Link Archer VR2600. Never once have i had an issue in the last few years with drop-outs.

Using Plusnet - download speeds of 67893Kpbs, with god knows how many connections running Fortnite, Utube, Amazon, Spotify, IPTV etc.

I received My R5 direct from Hiby - early March.

Last edited:
Apr 25, 2020 at 5:03 PM Post #2,083 of 4,410
FWIW, My Wifi and BT both work great.
I haven't tried Amazon yet but Tidal and Spotify both work fine via Wifi.
I am still having weird Spotify issues, but they are occurring offline, so it's not a Wifi problem.
I'm using 5gz, and the only time I have issues is when my entire Internet is playing up.

Apr 26, 2020 at 4:23 AM Post #2,085 of 4,410
I bough my R5 when it was first launched at the end of last year.and I absolutely love it.
I previously had a Cowon J3 and used it primarily for audible books and listening to music whilst out on my motorcycle.

8 weeks ago I had a problem with the R5 It would not charge. No matter what I did it wouldn't accept any power and eventually it died.
I contacted Hiby and was asked to send it back after they asked me to send them some photos of the condition.
Because of the lock-down, nearly 7 weeks have passed and it has not yet arrived in Hong Kong where I was asked to send it.
Last week out of frustration I emailed Hiby and asked them how much longer I was expected to wait.
They said my parcel was being held at a sorting facility on the mainland and only food and priority goods like medical supplies were being allowed into Hong Kong.
Island and I might have to wait another 20 days before they got it :scream:
Yesterday I get a package in the post and Woohoo! They've sent me a new R5.
I'm happy as they've still not received my old R5 but annoyed I've had to wait so long.

The new R5
1) Love the new sexy start up graphics
2) Gone is the sticky screen protector and in it's place a nice hard plastic one like you'll get on any top end smart phone.
3) It came loaded with Hiby Music app International Professional edition 1.5 Beta
(not sure what I had before but it sure wasn't that) and a 1.83 build so no updates required.

I loaded my micro SD yesterday and couldn't understand why it took forever to load my 17700 tracks from my 512GB Sandisk Extreme card
on my old R5 whenever I added a track/album I did a complete scan and it only took 5 mins or so, yesterday it took maybe half an hour to load
all of my tracks. Why so long?
I hope it's because it's accepting the album covers etc for the first time and next time it won't take anywhere near as long. Time will tell.

Playing a few tracks:
At first I've annoying micro pauses happening. Then I played a full album and it didn't occur. I'm hoping it stays that way
as my old R5 never did this. Bloody annoying when you're into a great piece of music and it pauses for no apparent reason then starts again etc. etc.

Advice:
After 6 months of compiling some great playlists I've lost the lot :triumph:
Take note and make sure you back up your data in case this happens to you. Playlists are stored on the main unit and not on the SD card.

Wilderbeast:
The Audible app works like a dream! Just download it from the play store. Downloading and listening couldn't be easier and it starts where you left off.

That's all folks, I can't tell you how nice it is to have my R5 back, like an old lost friend returned.:thumbsup:

Hi, I would like to know the procedure that you have done when returning your Hiby R5 to Hong Kong.

My R5 was having temperature issues and it gets hot while playing with Tidal (WiFi) and 4.4mm Balanced out simultaneously. Because of it, the battery swell and the back plate was detached from the body.

Also, I'm experiencing Bluetooth and WiFi connection drop-outs.

Hiby asked me to fill-out the RMA which I did, but did not receive any response from them. Did you received an e-mail from them first before sending your device back?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back