R5, a new Android DAP by Hiby
Apr 28, 2020 at 9:37 AM Post #2,088 of 4,410
Hi, I would like to know the procedure that you have done when returning your Hiby R5 to Hong Kong.

My R5 was having temperature issues and it gets hot while playing with Tidal (WiFi) and 4.4mm Balanced out simultaneously. Because of it, the battery swell and the back plate was detached from the body.

Also, I'm experiencing Bluetooth and WiFi connection drop-outs.

Hiby asked me to fill-out the RMA which I did, but did not receive any response from them. Did you received an e-mail from them first before sending your device back?

I emailed them and like you received an RMA which I filled in and emailed back to them along with a video showing the condition.
My R5 was like new and still had the cover on the back. I received an email telling me they had the information and was then given an address
to send it to. (see below) I sent it first class literally two days before we were locked down due to the virus. My post office said
it would take about 2 weeks to get there but it ended up taking 7. Hope you have a shorter wait than i did.

First, fill in the online RMA form for our record. We'll detect and repair your device according to the actual situation, and then return it to the shipping address you filled in the RMA form. RMA form Link is: https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSeB-ql8CoLRGuHmpnRNuyyeaEKpEgOQ3BrRShDpyo9QNZpnDg/viewform

Below is our HongKong receiving address information. (Remark: Only need to ship the R5 unit, not including other accessories).

Name: MAN TSZ WAI
Address: Unit 3,4 Floor,
Block B.
Wah Tat Industrial Centre,
No.8 Wah Sing Street,
Kwai Chung,
N.T., Hong Kong.
Postcode: 999077
Phone: +852 63315868

Besides, could you record the appearance states of the device in a video to us?
If there is anything not clear, please do not hesitate to contact us.
Thanks for supporting HiBy.

I have to say that any emails have had a very polite response within a few hours.

Apr 28, 2020 at 9:45 AM Post #2,089 of 4,410
Took the plunge and ordered a Hiby R5. Will be using Sony WH-1000XM3 via BT, but would welcome recommendations for IEM's to go with the R5, mainly listen to Metal and Rock music
i'm a metal and rock preference guy too, blon 03 seems not bad as a starter, and aint too expensive, just make sure to get a cable that doesnt have an ear hook, so you can wear it straight down, better fit

Apr 28, 2020 at 10:11 AM Post #2,090 of 4,410
Took the plunge and ordered a Hiby R5. Will be using Sony WH-1000XM3 via BT, but would welcome recommendations for IEM's to go with the R5, mainly listen to Metal and Rock music

I use the IMR Acoustic R2 Atens and smile from ear to ear every time I listen through them,
A large array of filters give you many variables to suit all genres of music.

https://imracoustics.com/collections/all

My Shure SE 425 also sound great but I only use them for audible books and working outside as they don't have the amount of bass that I prefer for a serious Hi-Res listening experience.

https://www.shure.com/en-GB/products/earphones/se425cl

I find that after a few hours my ears start to ache using IEM's and I'm now looking for a pair of sub $800 headphones to supplement my IEM's
I was going to attend Canjam London but it's now been cancelled so I'm now looking for answers elsewhere.

Last edited:
Apr 28, 2020 at 3:41 PM Post #2,092 of 4,410
Interesting and happy thing I noticed today. I tend to use my DAP units in my car; which fortunately still has an aux jack.

One issue I used to have was that skipping tracks required looking at the screen because the side buttons did not move between tracks when using Amazon HD music.

But today....somehow I pressed the forward track button and tracks advanced on Amazon HD! Not sure what changed but I will certainly smile and say thanks music gods....

For the person looking for IEM recommendations for this unit; really anything will work just fine. Its a neutral and powerful DAP so its unlikely to be a dud with anything. If you liked an IEM on another unit you will probably like it on this one too.

I mainly use the unit with my two favorite IEMs, the FLC8D and the BLON 03. The 8D has a very smooth sound and a slightly accentuated upper midrange. The BLON is a very balanced sound and since it likes power the HiBy R5 is a good choice. Cause the R5 oozes power. I did upgrade the cables for the BLON and removed the plastic jackets from the cables. And borrowed some plastic extenders from an old Shure foamie. In other words, the BLON does require some fiddling but hey fiddling with our toys is why most head fi types enjoy doing.

Apr 29, 2020 at 1:29 AM Post #2,093 of 4,410
Just got my R5 in the mail today and so far I’m really impressed with its features and sound quality. A few questions that I couldn’t find answers to:

* I took advantage of the $4 Tidal deal and would like to use the R5 to stream it to my stereo system. I tried connecting it to my DAC via USB, but it didn’t work. Is it not possible to send Tidal to a USB DAC or am I missing the right setting? (I set the USB configuration to “USB DAC in”.) What about MQA —can the R5 send out decoded files via USB? Or should I just connect a line out to my preamp and stay analog?

* I can’t get the Hiby App on my iPad to recognize the R5 even if I pair the devices first. It just says “unknown remote device.” What step am I missing? I tried setting the Hiby App on the R5 to both client and server and neither one did the trick.

* Any recommendations for a good, well made 4.4 to 3.5 adapter?

Apr 29, 2020 at 3:22 AM Post #2,094 of 4,410

I use the IMR Acoustic R2 Atens and smile from ear to ear every time I listen through them,
A large array of filters give you many variables to suit all genres of music.

I use IMR R2 Red’s, and for the price, especially using a discount code, I can highly recommend with the Hiby R5.

They are also based in the UK, with 30 day no quibble return policy.

Apr 29, 2020 at 7:48 AM Post #2,095 of 4,410
Hi guys
New to this thread
Got R5 2 weeks ago...
Just a quick question...
Been using 4.4 pentaconn out on R5 and I am really impressed with the power there..
The only draw back I encountered so far is the part of tagging art /pictures display to the tracks
It's a bit messy on some tracks after updating database some tracks display wrong (other track's covers) added automatically by R5(all of my cover art files are jpg. files, and R5 doesn't seem to support every cover art file... Other than this everything else is just great........ :v: :kissing_cat:
Which one one do you believe is the better sound setting between the options there? ( I ve been told from a friend head fier that fast roll of /phase compesated is his personal favorite there....)
Me, cannot come up to a decision yet.....
thanks for the attention.... :smile_cat: :thinking::thinking:

Last edited:
Apr 29, 2020 at 8:17 AM Post #2,096 of 4,410
Been using 4.4 pentaconn out on R5 and I am really impressed with the power there..
Hi @alexandros a I am not answering your question, I have question to you instead.
Is there any wifi issue with R5 when you are streaming?
I plan to buy my first dap considering either R5 or Ibasso DX160.
TIA

Apr 29, 2020 at 8:24 AM Post #2,097 of 4,410
Hi @alexandros a I am not answering your question, I have question to you instead.
TIA

Wi-Fi is very strong. No buffering with ultra HD from Amazon music.

Apr 29, 2020 at 8:35 AM Post #2,098 of 4,410
Apr 29, 2020 at 8:53 AM Post #2,099 of 4,410
Hi guys
New to this thread
Got R5 2 weeks ago...
Just a quick question...
The only draw back I encountered so far is the part of tagging art /pictures display to the tracks
It's a bit messy on some tracks after updating database some tracks display wrong (other track's covers) added automatically by R5(all of my cover art files are jpg. files, and R5 doesn't seem to support every cover art file... Other than this everything else is just great........ :v: :kissing_cat:
Which one one do you believe is the better sound setting between the options there? ( I ve been told from a friend head fier that fast roll of /phase compesated is his personal favorite there....)
Me, cannot come up to a decision yet.....
thanks for the attention.... :smile_cat: :thinking::thinking:
i couldnt hear differences on the filter

Apr 29, 2020 at 9:42 AM Post #2,100 of 4,410
TIA
It's very quick and powerful regarding wi fi
I haven't noticed any problem with the signal....
It's quick as well as far as file transfer goes... Bluetooth connectivity is the best i ve encountered as far as daps matters..
R5'S very well designed UI and screen responsiveness are R5'S strong advantages against DX160, you should know that as well
DX160 is relatively slow in screen responsiveness in comparison to R5... And not as strong as far as Bluetooth signal concerns....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back