R5, a new Android DAP by Hiby
Apr 30, 2020 at 2:32 AM Post #2,116 of 4,410
Hi all. Just got this player and I'm posting so that I'll get future notification of latest postings.
Hi @raif71 actually you can just "subscribe" by clicking the "watch" button on the top of this thread in order to get notification.

Apr 30, 2020 at 3:21 AM Post #2,117 of 4,410
The only thing that can match the output power of R5 is.. R3 with ibasso DC01 2.5 out... That's a killer combo as well
Not to mention R3 with BGVP T01 2.5 dongle.. That's a heck of an output power as well.. :astonished: :scream_cat:

IMG_20200430_101208.jpg

IMG_20200430_101211.jpg

IMG_20200430_101239.jpg

In fact.... the latest combo (R3 & BGVP T01 dac overcomes the overall output power of R5.. It's for sure an explosive combination... Check it out :
https://www.audioglorye.com/bgvp-t01/

Enjoy... :blush::astonished:

Last edited:
Apr 30, 2020 at 4:06 AM Post #2,118 of 4,410
hi

new to the forum here but have been reading for a couple of years, will be getting my r5 delivered tomorrow

just wondering whats the best way to setup the r5 from new, iphone user here, so android knowledge is not the best

The Hiby R5 is pretty much good to go straight out of the box. Hiby app is pre-installed so if you have an SD card full of music, they have you covered for playing your own tunes.

The Google play store is also pre-installed allowing 3rd party apps such as UAPP or poweramp to be installed if you want more flexibility with audio tweaking (same as the Apple App store - you need to create an account).

If you plan to stream, do take advantage of the free trials from Tidal/Amazon Music HD. They sound really good. I have no preference on either tbh., but will likely drop my spotify and continue with Amazon HD subscription.

Swipe up from the bottom of screen to access all apps/settings (just like you do on iOS to get to the flashlight/screen mirroring).

Make sure you update to the latest firmware V1.83: R5int_20200311_1135 via "Settings -> System-> Wireless Update".

Enjoy!

Apr 30, 2020 at 4:59 AM Post #2,119 of 4,410
probably if you are coming from 44.1 or any other sample rate, the dac needs to go up to mqa decoding before starting to play

It happens when I skip from an MQA song to another MQA song on the same album.
Same here, it ONLY happens when skipping from MQA to MQA. I can be shuffle-playing a mix of 'hi-fi' and MQA and there will be no hiccups at all, and the transitions between tracks are also fine when simply playing through an MQA album.
The hiccups seem to be linked to the use of the skip track button.
But here's a weird thing @CouryT, I just put on Amy Winehouse's Back in Black album (saved offline) to check if the 'skip back' button exhibits the hiccup, and I am able to skip both directions at will without the problem occurring (just checked both direction, with wifi on, then off, no problem!)
Thankfully this is a very minor problem anyway, because this sounds fantastic!
Enjoying this album too much to do any more testing right now, ha! :L3000:

Apr 30, 2020 at 5:20 AM Post #2,120 of 4,410
Same here, it ONLY happens when skipping from MQA to MQA. I can be shuffle-playing a mix of 'hi-fi' and MQA and there will be no hiccups at all, and the transitions between tracks are also fine when simply playing through an MQA album.
The hiccups seem to be linked to the use of the skip track button.
But here's a weird thing @CouryT, I just put on Amy Winehouse's Back in Black album (saved offline) to check if the 'skip back' button exhibits the hiccup, and I am able to skip both directions at will without the problem occurring (just checked both direction, with wifi on, then off, no problem!)
Thankfully this is a very minor problem anyway, because this sounds fantastic!
Enjoying this album too much to do any more testing right now, ha! :L3000:
hmm, maybe i also have such issue, just didnt notice, probably cause to me its non critical

Apr 30, 2020 at 5:31 AM Post #2,121 of 4,410
The Hiby R5 is pretty much good to go straight out of the box. Hiby app is pre-installed so if you have an SD card full of music, they have you covered for playing your own tunes.

The Google play store is also pre-installed allowing 3rd party apps such as UAPP or poweramp to be installed if you want more flexibility with audio tweaking (same as the Apple App store - you need to create an account).

If you plan to stream, do take advantage of the free trials from Tidal/Amazon Music HD. They sound really good. I have no preference on either tbh., but will likely drop my spotify and continue with Amazon HD subscription.

Swipe up from the bottom of screen to access all apps/settings (just like you do on iOS to get to the flashlight/screen mirroring).

Make sure you update to the latest firmware V1.83: R5int_20200311_1135 via "Settings -> System-> Wireless Update".

Enjoy!
My new unit says new fw is 1.63G...then 1.7G...so it is going to be incremental is it?

Apr 30, 2020 at 5:33 AM Post #2,122 of 4,410
hmm, maybe i also have such issue, just didnt notice, probably cause to me its non critical
It's weird, since I posted a few minutes ago, I've been listening to Mogwai- Every Country's Sun (MQA downloaded) and mostly I can skip without hiccups.
Oh well, like you I'm not unduly bothered by this.
As long as gapless is gapless, and the player moves from track to track by itself without issue I'm happy enough.

I do wish either Hiby or Spotify would solve the random stoppages with their Spotify playback though, that's much more annoying.

Apr 30, 2020 at 5:53 AM Post #2,124 of 4,410
It's weird, since I posted a few minutes ago, I've been listening to Mogwai- Every Country's Sun (MQA downloaded) and mostly I can skip without hiccups.
Oh well, like you I'm not unduly bothered by this.
As long as gapless is gapless, and the player moves from track to track by itself without issue I'm happy enough.

I do wish either Hiby or Spotify would solve the random stoppages with their Spotify playback though, that's much more annoying.
Do you get random stoppages on other services like Tidal etc etc?

Apr 30, 2020 at 6:04 AM Post #2,125 of 4,410

Enjoy!
thanks will do still waiting for delivery,

i do use amazon music so will give that a bash. Is it just drag and drop music onto the memory card to get that working?

i have also got a mojo is it worth linking that with the r5 i did purchase the cable from hiby

Apr 30, 2020 at 7:00 AM Post #2,126 of 4,410

i do use amazon music so will give that a bash. Is it just drag and drop music onto the memory card to get that working?

i have also got a mojo is it worth linking that with the r5 i did purchase the cable from hiby

Once you plug the R5 into PC (certainly on windows 10 anyway), you need to swipe down from the top of the R5 screen to change the "Andriod System" selection from -> "USB charging this device" ... to "Transfer files".

It is then drag and drop.

I don`t want to know about the Mojo`s performance. For my wallets sake :)

Last edited:
Apr 30, 2020 at 7:27 AM Post #2,127 of 4,410

imo, a simple no, mojo isnt nearly as powerful and clean, and its a burden to the already small r5 battery, and the burden will end the battery day even faster with minimal advantage

Apr 30, 2020 at 7:34 AM Post #2,128 of 4,410
Do you get random stoppages on other services like Tidal etc etc?
Tidal's the only one I've tried and it's fine, I think.
There's been two occasions where it's shut down all by itself (I mean the app just shut down and had to be started again), but that hasn't happened again in the couple of weeks since, and I've been using Tidal extensively in that time, so I'm putting those occurrences down to general Android instability I guess.
I don't have Quobuz or Amazon HD to try.

Apr 30, 2020 at 7:40 AM Post #2,129 of 4,410
imo, a simple no, mojo isnt nearly as powerful and clean, and its a burden to the already small r5 battery, and the burden will end the battery day even faster with minimal advantage
i will try both and see how it goes

Apr 30, 2020 at 10:54 AM Post #2,130 of 4,410

Users who are viewing this thread

Back