R5, a new Android DAP by Hiby
Mar 2, 2020 at 4:58 PM Post #1,758 of 4,410
very strange. i did notice the R5 gets very warm when charging. perhaps people should remove the cover before charging?

have you contacted Hiby?
Not yet but I will. I think it has more to do with the plasticky case and how it sticks to the back- it always looks wet under there on mine, even after carefully drying.
15831862252784415416530632225201.jpg
15831862252784415416530632225201.jpg

Mar 2, 2020 at 6:49 PM Post #1,760 of 4,410
I think it’s some kind of adhesion between the plastic case and back glass plate of R5. Mine did the same thing. To remedy, I used one of the solid white, thin, non-adhesive plastic sheets that the screen protectors attach to, and I placed it inside the back of the rubber case. So now it sits between rear of R5 and inside rear of rubber case. No more wet sticky look. I’ve since removed the case a few times without issue.

Mar 5, 2020 at 7:21 AM Post #1,762 of 4,410
I just got an email from Hiby saying that they have dropped the price from $399 to $299, again.
I'd describe the R5 as a bargain at $399, but I was lucky enough to grab one the last time they dropped the price, and I kinda feel like I robbed them!

I read/watched all the reviews I could find, and in the end the R5 was the best collection of features that I could find.
I was concerned that it might sound 'mid tier' or even 'cheap' since it was so affordable, but the reviews seemed to indicate pretty decent sound, so I decided that 399 was a good deal.
Then Hiby dropped the price just before I purchased, so I used the extra budget I had available to get the fancy Dignis case (with a little left over), Which I am very pleased with too.
The clear 'gummi' case it comes with is pretty decent anyway (although I would also take measures to avoid it sticking to the back like @Interceptor69 did) and Hiby also do a pleather case that's cheaper than the Dignis, so the R5 is well served in that regard too.

I love the sound of the R5, and I really struggle to find anything at all to complain about.
I can't find a tempered glass screen protector to fit, but that's the only thing that comes to mind.
The main things that sold me over other players were that it is small (the smallest device I found that can do full offline storage of playlists for the streaming services), that it is powerful despite having a low noise floor (nice black background with every set of headphones and iems I own, and powers everything with ease, and I haven't even tried the balanced 4.4mm yet!), and has Google play store installed from the get-go.

System wide EQ (R5 has a regular EQ plus the option of the arguably more intuative MSEB) was also something that almost no other DAP's I found could do, but I've not felt much of a need to use either as I love the sound without enhancements or alterations.

Seriously, one Hiby product and I'm a fanboy.
The R5 is great value at it's full price, another $100 off makes it an absolute no brainer.
Get one before Hiby decide to end this offer (If that's what it is, if 300 is the new permanent price this time, then Hiby deserve to sell an entire container-ship of these things!)
Seriously, this thing sounds better than I expected mid-tier to sound, and at 300 it's practically entry level price.

Bravo Hiby :beerchug:

Mar 5, 2020 at 9:46 AM Post #1,763 of 4,410
I'm really on the fence with the R5. I picked up an R3 Pro a few weeks ago which I love and I'm sure I'm in the minority here but I really prefer the more solid feeling larger form factor.

I guess I'm going to have to dwell on this a bit and see if I want to pick up a new R5 with the lower price or find one on the used market to sample.

Mar 5, 2020 at 11:16 AM Post #1,764 of 4,410
I just got an email from Hiby saying that they have dropped the price from $399 to $299, again.
I'd describe the R5 as a bargain at $399, but I was lucky enough to grab one the last time they dropped the price, and I kinda feel like I robbed them!

I read/watched all the reviews I could find, and in the end the R5 was the best collection of features that I could find.
I was concerned that it might sound 'mid tier' or even 'cheap' since it was so affordable, but the reviews seemed to indicate pretty decent sound, so I decided that 399 was a good deal.
Then Hiby dropped the price just before I purchased, so I used the extra budget I had available to get the fancy Dignis case (with a little left over), Which I am very pleased with too.
The clear 'gummi' case it comes with is pretty decent anyway (although I would also take measures to avoid it sticking to the back like @Interceptor69 did) and Hiby also do a pleather case that's cheaper than the Dignis, so the R5 is well served in that regard too.

I love the sound of the R5, and I really struggle to find anything at all to complain about.
I can't find a tempered glass screen protector to fit, but that's the only thing that comes to mind.
The main things that sold me over other players were that it is small (the smallest device I found that can do full offline storage of playlists for the streaming services), that it is powerful despite having a low noise floor (nice black background with every set of headphones and iems I own, and powers everything with ease, and I haven't even tried the balanced 4.4mm yet!), and has Google play store installed from the get-go.

System wide EQ (R5 has a regular EQ plus the option of the arguably more intuative MSEB) was also something that almost no other DAP's I found could do, but I've not felt much of a need to use either as I love the sound without enhancements or alterations.

Seriously, one Hiby product and I'm a fanboy.
The R5 is great value at it's full price, another $100 off makes it an absolute no brainer.
Get one before Hiby decide to end this offer (If that's what it is, if 300 is the new permanent price this time, then Hiby deserve to sell an entire container-ship of these things!)
Seriously, this thing sounds better than I expected mid-tier to sound, and at 300 it's practically entry level price.

Bravo Hiby :beerchug:
I'm assuming this is on the hiby site? If amazon ever drop the price I'll bite.

Mar 5, 2020 at 11:34 AM Post #1,765 of 4,410
I'm assuming this is on the hiby site? If amazon ever drop the price I'll bite.
Yeah, Hibys own site.
They got my R5 to me pretty sharpish despite covid, and I didn't see the price go lower than $399 anywhere else.

I'm very impressed, and am now wondering if I should consider Hibys Seed II iem next.
Can't find any reviews for them though.

Mar 5, 2020 at 11:50 AM Post #1,766 of 4,410
Yeah, Hibys own site.
They got my R5 to me pretty sharpish despite covid, and I didn't see the price go lower than $399 anywhere else.

I'm very impressed, and am now wondering if I should consider Hibys Seed II iem next.
Can't find any reviews for them though.
Any taxes or shipping charges?

Mar 5, 2020 at 2:47 PM Post #1,769 of 4,410
Buy from MusicTeck guys. Awesome company. Free shipping. No tax, except perhaps NJ (where they are based). Got mine from there last time it went down to $299 and I’m a happy camper.
UK based so would still get whacked with import charges!

Mar 5, 2020 at 7:05 PM Post #1,770 of 4,410
I'm really on the fence with the R5. I picked up an R3 Pro a few weeks ago which I love and I'm sure I'm in the minority here but I really prefer the more solid feeling larger form factor.

I guess I'm going to have to dwell on this a bit and see if I want to pick up a new R5 with the lower price or find one on the used market to sample.
So the R3 Pro is larger and/ or heavier than the R5??

Users who are viewing this thread

Back