R5, a new Android DAP by Hiby
Feb 29, 2020 at 10:21 AM Post #1,741 of 4,416
Just FWIW, I haven't encountered any issues with my R5 yet, but I haven't had it long, and all I've used it for so far is Spotify.
I have been using it for at least 5-6 hours a day though.
I haven't tried the 4.4 yet, but I have a cable on the way and will report on that once ive had a chance to try it out.

I'm absolutely loving the SQ (and almost everything else about it).

Re' the screen response @Jacob Philbrick. Have you removed both the outer shipping screen protector (the one with the tab), and the fitted screen protector under it?
I've left the second screen protector on as I havent found a glass one to fit yet and have now had a little difficulty hitting some of the smaller controls reliably.
I suspect, but dont know for sure, that the protector fitted by Hiby is causing some minor difficulty.
I don't want to take mine off yet though.
I do wish Hiby would have a tempered glass screen protector made for the R5, that would rock.

Feb 29, 2020 at 11:55 AM Post #1,742 of 4,416
@Q Mass Mine only came with one screen protector on it iirc. Has been taken off, one of the very first things I did. Sometimes it seems like i have to press next to what I'm attempting to press for it to register. Accuracy issue? Hoping will get better with another firmware update.

Feb 29, 2020 at 12:32 PM Post #1,743 of 4,416
Had my r5 a couple weeks now. Sounds great, but I have had some issues. (Scanned a bit through the thread, my apologies if any of these have been addressed already.

1. Amazon Music is very laggy and slow to load. This happens with both online and offline. Takes a good 30 seconds or so to load a Playlist just to view it. Not sure if this is due to the app or the DAP. First time really using Amazon Music.

2. Screen responsiveness - others have also mentioned. Has it been confirmed whether this issue is hardware or software?

3. I've had a few times where the DAP stops recognizing that there are headphones plugged in. Stops showing icon in top left and music stops. When playing after, no sound. Jack is in all the way. This happens on both 4.4mm and 3.5mm.

4. The "guide" for MSEB is definitely not a guide. Basically has me just moving sliders randomly hoping I find a cool new sound. I have searched for a guide to no avail. If there is one, could I be pointed in that direction?

I think there was a couple more minor issues here and there, but nothing to bad. Overall I am really enjoying the r5. Mainly use ikko oh1 and Focal Elegia with it. Sounds great!

Also was wondering if anyone has successfully rooted this device? I've tried a few apps, no avail. I'm fairly certain it is doable over abd but I do not currently have access to a PC so cannot verify. Would like root for a more complete solution to app freezing and to see if i can get a system wide PEQ (v4a?? Haven't used it in years)

Thanks!
When Amazon gets like that, I've found that force quitting it and relaunching it usually fixes the problem. It seems to be a crappy app.

I've not seen a guide to MSEB. The sliders aren't like EQ settings in the normal sense, they don't control one defined frequency band. I found a setting I like by changing one at a time while a good track was playing, then going back at the end to see if tweaks to the previous sliders helped. There are a few IEMs that I have to change some bands for, otherwise I leave them alone.

Feb 29, 2020 at 12:41 PM Post #1,744 of 4,416
Moderat: Bad Kingdom
Loving this from my R5
(Via my old Denon AH D2000's)

Spotify link (the one I'm listening to)

@Jacob Philbrick, I've not tried to remove my second screen protector yet, but I can definitely feel an edge near, but not right at, the edge of my screen, and that's what I'm guessing is the second screen protector that I refer to, it's definitely not obvious.
Of course I'm not discounting that your R5 may not have had one fitted, or that I may be misinterpreting some feature of the edge of the R5 screen.

Can anyone else confirm a fitted second screen protector below the shipping one (the one with the very obvious tab on the corner to aid removal?)

Feb 29, 2020 at 7:45 PM Post #1,746 of 4,416
the screen protector does show some short ghosting effect if you apply some pressure, keeping it on for now to protect scratches

does anyone know if 3.5mm and 4.4 have separate volume, like between BT and physical having different independent volume levels

Last edited:
Mar 1, 2020 at 10:28 PM Post #1,750 of 4,416
Be aware: I took the rubbery case off the R5 to change micro usb cards
20200301_164522.jpg
20200301_164512.jpg
and the back came off with it. I've always noticed it looked "wet" between the case and the back, no matter how much I tried to dry it. Now its not working so well.

Mar 1, 2020 at 11:46 PM Post #1,751 of 4,416
Be aware: I took the rubbery case off the R5 to change micro usb cards 20200301_164522.jpg20200301_164512.jpgand the back came off with it. I've always noticed it looked "wet" between the case and the back, no matter how much I tried to dry it. Now its not working so well.
I don 't understand why you took the back off to remove the sd card...was it stuck inside???

Users who are viewing this thread

Back