R5, a new Android DAP by Hiby
Sep 25, 2019 at 3:11 PM Post #721 of 4,421
You've got mseb and the ability to use different apps as music players. That plus the power and more slightly neutral and more resolving signature puts this thing in the top of the class at this price point imo.

Oh, and it's dead silent with all the iems I've tried, even the 64 audio tia forte. The other daps I've tried before hissed a bit, even with my akt8ieii. That includes the sr15, m11, and zx300/wm1a. Now that wasn't a lot of hiss on those daps, but I could hear it. It wasn't enough to bug me during regular listening, but the r5 is very quiet.

I agree! Sounds like they are old school and want something with only music, no apps. I don't think you can do better than the zx300 at the price point.

Sep 25, 2019 at 4:16 PM Post #722 of 4,421
I agree! Sounds like they are old school and want something with only music, no apps. I don't think you can do better than the zx300 at the price point.

No, I agree- if you absolutely want just a Sony music player the cheaper zx300A is a good bet.

No way would I pay 700 dollars for the 64 gig model with all these other daps, even though they're all android based.

It's not worth it, and if I want the Sony house sound I can get very close with mseb. Although the zx300 has better battery life, and non android daps are becoming rare it seems.

There was a time when I would of said stay away from the chinese brands and go with Sony, Cowon, or AK. But the quality of brands like fiio, cayin, and hiby have greatly improved and now are pretty much on par with quality.

Last edited:
Sep 25, 2019 at 5:17 PM Post #723 of 4,421
If you do like the Sony UI, you can just install the Sony Music Center app from the play store.

Sep 25, 2019 at 9:21 PM Post #724 of 4,421
No, I agree- if you absolutely want just a Sony music player the cheaper zx300A is a good bet.

No way would I pay 700 dollars for the 64 gig model with all these other daps, even though they're all android based.

It's not worth it, and if I want the Sony house sound I can get very close with mseb. Although the zx300 has better battery life, and non android daps are becoming rare it seems.

There was a time when I would of said stay away from the chinese brands and go with Sony, Cowon, or AK. But the quality of brands like fiio, cayin, and hiby have greatly improved and now are pretty much on par with quality.
Same! Honestly didn't see myself getting a Chinese dap right up until I got the R5. I was very set on getting the zx500 until I saw the price.

Sep 26, 2019 at 5:55 AM Post #725 of 4,421
Got my R5 today. I'm only using 3.5mm for now and I'd say it's definitely an "upgrade" from R3. I really like how the neutral tuning of R5.

Just an odd experience with R5 earlier. The screen was on the whole time and I was scrolling down from music list and listening to music at the same time, after some minutes (around 30mins), the screen turned off and instantly turned on out of nowhere. It's like it blinked, though it did not interrupt the music. Pretty sure it was not due to being idle as it automatically turned on without even pressing anything and I experienced the issue twice. I hope it's just a minor bug or something and won't happen again.

Sep 26, 2019 at 9:07 AM Post #726 of 4,421
My R5 Shipped today I will probably get it by Monday. Funny thing I am still very curios about R5 vs DX160

After ordering the r5 the only firstlook video on internet of dx160 came out and it made me think

By the way how is the hiby r5 tonality and how does it responds to eq like ppl say m11 eq is not that good

Sep 26, 2019 at 9:38 AM Post #727 of 4,421
My R5 Shipped today I will probably get it by Monday. Funny thing I am still very curios about R5 vs DX160

After ordering the r5 the only firstlook video on internet of dx160 came out and it made me think

By the way how is the hiby r5 tonality and how does it responds to eq like ppl say m11 eq is not that good
Did you order from HPZ?

Sep 26, 2019 at 9:43 AM Post #729 of 4,421
Last edited:
Sep 26, 2019 at 9:52 AM Post #730 of 4,421
Great choice. The R5 has MEBS and it is particularly good according to some users.
Thanks , i dont have the greatest of iems just kanas pro ans isine for now, the kp pretty much dont need eq but isine has honkiness which i have to eq down. Saw in a discussion r5 has -+12 db eq and mseb is like peq it seems lot of things to experiment

Sep 26, 2019 at 10:10 AM Post #731 of 4,421
Thanks , i dont have the greatest of iems just kanas pro ans isine for now, the kp pretty much dont need eq but isine has honkiness which i have to eq down. Saw in a discussion r5 has -+12 db eq and mseb is like peq it seems lot of things to experiment
I haven't found any IEMs that MSEB can't improve. I even have a couple with some issues (like a treble spike) that are harder to EQ because I'd need to fix a bunch of bands that would mess up the overall sound, and MSEB makes them enjoyable. I wish they could make it system-wide, it is really a great system.

Sep 26, 2019 at 11:55 AM Post #732 of 4,421
I haven't found any IEMs that MSEB can't improve. I even have a couple with some issues (like a treble spike) that are harder to EQ because I'd need to fix a bunch of bands that would mess up the overall sound, and MSEB makes them enjoyable. I wish they could make it system-wide, it is really a great system.

Yes you can use the 10 band EQ with MSEB and really tweak it if you want. And the regular EQ is better than the Fiio one.

Sep 26, 2019 at 8:03 PM Post #733 of 4,421
i dont need play store :) need only good SQ
You can install many Android apps directly by grabbing their apk from e.g. apkpure, but you need to be aware of apps that require purchase and payment through google play. For example I believe you can get TIDAL and Spotify no problem (since you can subscribe and log in to them without involving Play) but something like Poweramp or Neutron would be impossible if you'd paid for it on Play in the first place.

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
Sep 27, 2019 at 4:35 AM Post #734 of 4,421
I've wanted this for a long time but I don't code (other than drawing up the initial sound and interface design of the Magesound 8-ball and having some responsibility over the actual coders at the time) so it's out of my hands for now I'm afraid

Can we address this somewhere? including MSEB into the system would be so extraordinary gorgeous.

We'll have to talk to Amazon about this :frowning2:
Does that mean you (Hiby) will talk to them?
I had some conversations with Amazon support and techies, and they told me Hiby needs to get in contact with them to make sure the device is judged correctly and to support bitperfect streaming.

other than complaining, we cannot do a lot from customer side.

@Joe Bloggs btw:
It seems Audionext in germany is not willing to sell the R5 anymore, as they now raised the price and do not advertise it on their shop.
that explains why they had the R5 under the counter on the Audiovista High-End Headphone Fair and only showed it to me after I asked several times.
They obviously neither have ordered any further devices and want to sell their demo device to me instead.

So I orderedthe R5 from your shop and my R5 is on its way directly from HongKong.
I hope, I will not have any issues with the R5, I would have to pay the shipment fee if I have a warranty case, right?

Last edited:
Sep 27, 2019 at 6:18 AM Post #735 of 4,421
Can we address this somewhere? including MSEB into the system would be so extraordinary gorgeous.

I have heard some good news here :)

Does that mean you (Hiby) will talk to them?
I had some conversations with Amazon support and techies, and they told me Hiby needs to get in contact with them to make sure the device is judged correctly and to support bitperfect streaming.

other than complaining, we cannot do a lot from customer side.

Do you have a direct email to them somewhere? Because
Capture.PNG

btw:
It seems Audionext in germany is not willing to sell the R5 anymore, as they now raised the price and do not advertise it on their shop.
that explains why they had the R5 under the counter on the Audiovista High-End Headphone Fair and only showed it to me after I asked several times.
They obviously neither have ordered any further devices and want to sell their demo device to me instead.

So I orderedthe R5 from your shop and my R5 is on its way directly from HongKong.
I hope, I will not have any issues with the R5, I would have to pay the shipment fee if I have a warranty case, right?

Yes, well, we need to receive it in Hong Kong in case of any issues, and you could get it to us there in any manner you want, as long as it arrives in one piece :sweat_smile:

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com

Users who are viewing this thread

Back