R5, a new Android DAP by Hiby
Sep 12, 2019 at 2:16 AM Post #511 of 4,421
My R5 finally got here today after Amazon got their sh!t together. So far I've listened to Apple Music and my music off the SD card through HiBy. All I can say is "holy crap". Definitely made the right choice dropping the coin on this. My Jubilees, AKGs and DMGs sound amazing. I have to dial in the MSEB a bit since it has some different sliders than the R3. I also love how I can queue songs without building a playlist. The sound isn't just wide, it stretches in all directions and like others have said, it's holographic. I can't wait to work through my IEM collection.

Besides Poweramp, does anyone have any app suggestions in terms of music player apps or EQs, or anything I need to get? I'm not an Android person.
He mate, I am considering the R5 after owning the r3 so could you state some comparison SQ wise? Would love to hear about that to help me make a decision.

Sep 12, 2019 at 2:30 AM Post #512 of 4,421
The bold is spot on. I don't think people are aware, so I'm hoping to temper expectations as this is a great device, just don't expect top tier smartphone performance.

On the cost front, the m11 is the same price as this with a vastly superior soc. So no, I don't think a better processor costs vastly more, mainly because these chips as small and cheap to manufacture. I just have seen a lot of tech products come out of China and generally, it's just what they can actually source. For their current laptops/tablets for example, they aren't getting new Intel processors, where they used to before and sometimes they only get pentium and can't get the m3 line. And besides, I don't think consumers should ever take this stance. You should be framing in the best way for you. You pay the same price and make them do more. Either make them do more with the same, or make them eat their margin. Just don't do that to whatever company I'm at. I like fat bonuses from consumers overpaying and not arguing or advocating for themselves.

But hiby is clearly trying. Fiio is too, I just don't understand their hatred of fixing the android src and the play store. How do you pair a strong soc, with locked android? It makes no sense.....

You'll run yourself crazy wondering if other daps will sound better than what you have. And your mind will tell you something new sounds better many times anyway. Better to buy on an actual need. You want a slightly smaller dap? You have issues with oi? Your iems don't play nice with the r6 and you get hiss?
Otherwise, hiby could release an airplane dap and you'd wonder if you need it, when no one needs an airplane sized dap.

I want an ipod touch sized dap. This is the best open src android device you can get currently. If you're using this device or a device in hibys android line up, or their partners cayin/Shanling? I think you're as close to end game as you'll get with very marginal. 0.01% benefits.

And the release of the r8, which I had continually asked hiby about putting a sim card in a dap, makes the lineup very enticing.

Wait a year or a couple, see if they can impress you. Otherwise, you've already got a good dap...

Actually, I ve seen in M11 thread here as well as on the m11pro adverts that FIIO system is ( same as hiby) bypassing android src globally with all apps. From what I ve read, seems like they just did not promote it as hard as Hiby did before?

Last edited:
Sep 12, 2019 at 7:24 AM Post #514 of 4,421
The bold is spot on. I don't think people are aware, so I'm hoping to temper expectations as this is a great device, just don't expect top tier smartphone performance.

On the cost front, the m11 is the same price as this with a vastly superior soc. So no, I don't think a better processor costs vastly more, mainly because these chips as small and cheap to manufacture. I just have seen a lot of tech products come out of China and generally, it's just what they can actually source. For their current laptops/tablets for example, they aren't getting new Intel processors, where they used to before and sometimes they only get pentium and can't get the m3 line. And besides, I don't think consumers should ever take this stance. You should be framing in the best way for you. You pay the same price and make them do more. Either make them do more with the same, or make them eat their margin. Just don't do that to whatever company I'm at. I like fat bonuses from consumers overpaying and not arguing or advocating for themselves.

But hiby is clearly trying. Fiio is too, I just don't understand their hatred of fixing the android src and the play store. How do you pair a strong soc, with locked android? It makes no sense.....

You'll run yourself crazy wondering if other daps will sound better than what you have. And your mind will tell you something new sounds better many times anyway. Better to buy on an actual need. You want a slightly smaller dap? You have issues with oi? Your iems don't play nice with the r6 and you get hiss?
Otherwise, hiby could release an airplane dap and you'd wonder if you need it, when no one needs an airplane sized dap.

I want an ipod touch sized dap. This is the best open src android device you can get currently. If you're using this device or a device in hibys android line up, or their partners cayin/Shanling? I think you're as close to end game as you'll get with very marginal. 0.01% benefits.

And the release of the r8, which I had continually asked hiby about putting a sim card in a dap, makes the lineup very enticing.

Wait a year or a couple, see if they can impress you. Otherwise, you've already got a good dap...
You’ve made - and proven - the point that the M11 SOC has better benchmark scores than the SOC in the R5 and R6 Pro. I think that from what I’ve read the M11 is a great DAP. Just... that lack of Play Station support. I counted Play Station support over the M11’s reported zippier interface, support for more headphone jacks, sexier form factor, etc. So... yeah, I chose what mattered to me and used my dollars to reward the company that served MY particular interests best.

Sep 12, 2019 at 9:51 AM Post #515 of 4,421
Did you ever try or own the R6 (non-Pro)?
I own the R6, and have no issue with the high-impedance out... so wonder if the R5 would be an upgrade, downgrade, or just the same...
I don't have the R6, so I can't compare to that. It is a dead black background, though -- I've heard the R6 has some noise depending on your buds.

It is amazingly light and small -- I think that is one area where it beats the R6. I'm amazed at how small and light it is. Definitely a lot of bang for the buck!

Sep 12, 2019 at 9:53 AM Post #516 of 4,421
Update on my review:

1. Just upgraded to latest firmware

- Don't know what kind of fotware wizzardry it contained but... No heat problems anymore, lag has improved significantly and battery is lasting substantially longer 0.o I'm really perplexed.
Same here. Thought it was my imagination. I am glad it wasn't!

Sep 12, 2019 at 10:12 AM Post #517 of 4,421
Glad you guys are up to speed. :wink: It does produce some heat sreaming, but that's to be expected.

I also like the roll off filters. I can actually tell a difference. Normally I can't but on these I can, it's still very subtle but it's there. I'm using fast/compensated.

Love this little thing, album art really pops!

20190912_102737.jpg

Last edited:
Sep 12, 2019 at 10:38 AM Post #518 of 4,421
He mate, I am considering the R5 after owning the r3 so could you state some comparison SQ wise? Would love to hear about that to help me make a decision.
I've only had it for less than 24 hours, so keep in mind these are initial observations. I think it has better separation of instruments, a better soundstage in all directions, it's amazing how immersive the listening experience is. In addition, the functionality of the R5 is far superior to the R3 -- HiBy music is quite a bit more responsive, and it has some extra functionality. That's not to say the R3 is a dog in any way, I preferred it to my Cayin N3.But the R5 (so far) meets my use case quite a bit better.

I'll post more once I've put some additional hours on the unit, and tried some of my other earbuds and headphones.

Sep 13, 2019 at 8:39 AM Post #519 of 4,421
In terms of specs alone, the R5 and the DX160 appear to be the closest competitors

69848046_750395042066289_3677531039569281024_n.jpg

Sep 13, 2019 at 9:44 AM Post #522 of 4,421
In terms of specs alone, the R5 and the DX160 appear to be the closest competitors

69848046_750395042066289_3677531039569281024_n.jpg

i think u meant 3.5mm only there for dx160 LO there?

i tested both dx160 and r5 today at local shops today. one can easily get an illusion that dx160 sounds better because it is louder at same volume but after proper level matching. R5 sure sounds as good if not better and more natural.

and i think for iems, (most ppl use desktop setup for headphones anyway), R5 offers a more suitable volume adjustment.

ibasso does not offer any info on its amp section circuitry, i wonder what op amps it uses and decided to push them so loud as i did not have very hard to drive headphones to try , really doubt how it sounds ( without clipping and distortion hopefully?) when volume is turned high . for iems , that level of volume is unnecessary imo.

with 4.4 LO, google store, snap dragon chip. R5 is a sure winner here. now just need to wait to test the m6 (very high output impedance in spec unfortunately for my taste) , zx500 and m11 pro before i buy one.. lol

Attachments

• FD4B040E-49C1-4279-AB74-249559C8A956.jpeg
    FD4B040E-49C1-4279-AB74-249559C8A956.jpeg
    976.4 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Sep 13, 2019 at 9:51 AM Post #524 of 4,421
i think u meant 3.5mm only there for dx160 LO there?

i tested both dx160 and r5 today at local shops today. one can easily get an illusion that dx160 sounds better because it is louder at same volume but after proper level matching. R5 sure sounds as good if not better and more natural.

and i think for iems, (most ppl use desktop setup for headphones anyway), R5 offers a more suitable volume adjustment.

with 4.4 LO, google store, snap dragon chip. R5 is a sure winner here. now just need to wait to test the m6 (very high output impedance in spec unfortunately for my taste) , zx500 and m11 pro before i buy one.. lol
I have not been able to compare them directly, but I will get the R5 soon and hopefully I can find a DX160 to demo.
The DX160 3.5mm output has a triple function, HP out, LO and coaxial.

Sep 13, 2019 at 9:58 AM Post #525 of 4,421
Hello,

I have an R3. Is there a "huge" or just "somewhat-noticeable" SQ-difference between R3 and R5 (i.e clarity/details)?

Does R5 have "search" functionality for songs now?

Also, my IEM (massdrop plus) has 10 ohms at 1 kHz impedance and from HiBy website, the specs says "Headphone Impedance Range: 16~300Ω". Does this mean my IEM is not recommended for R5?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back