R5, a new Android DAP by Hiby
Nov 11, 2019 at 4:42 AM Post #1,291 of 4,418
Hi Hiby,

Last weekend I tried to use R5 as LDAC receiver from my SS Note 8, it worked.

Then I tried to connect R5 to a USB dac and received bluetooth LDAC signal from SS note 8 at the same time, LDAC just automatically disconnected. So sad, I think it intended to disconnect. So please confirm, can the firmware update in the future can fix this or it is the intended design, there is no bluetooth and wired connection to external DAC at the same time scenario for R5.

Thanks.

Hello nhumdorn,

I can't say for the dev team whether this will be possible in the future, but I'd just like to point out that you can connect your USB DAC to the Note directly, cut out the Bluetooth middleman and get higher fidelity :sweat_smile:

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
Nov 11, 2019 at 11:28 PM Post #1,292 of 4,418
Well in all fairness @morndewey ,

1. Swapping between different apps and finding different problems with each is much less time- and money-consuming than swapping between different player devices and finding different problems with each.
2. If no gapless on your songs (I've sent your songs to our devs for analysis; their usual test songs are gapless for them) is a showstopper for you, chances of other apps being an improvement over HiByMusic is high. Heck, if a FiiO already works for you in this regard, you can just install FiiO Music on the R5.
3. If on the other hand you reckon that you'll find the same amount of problems no matter which app you switch to, I'm pleased that you effectively reckon that our app is as good as any out there :)

In the meantime, our devs are looking into the problem. I don't expect a quick solution--for all I know, it may be days before we can reproduce the problem even using the same tracks on another R5...

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

Nov 12, 2019 at 7:20 AM Post #1,294 of 4,418
Hi,

After reading DX160 thread, it seems that users prefer the way it sounds rather the R5.
Do people here tried both DAP's that can tell me what is wrong with the R5 sound quality vs the DX160 ?
Thanks
I don't think there is anything wrong. I think both use different LPFs and amp sections which have more to do with output of analogue sound. I think someone answered you on the dx160 thread saying the same thing.

Nov 12, 2019 at 9:44 AM Post #1,295 of 4,418
Well in all fairness @morndewey ,

1. Swapping between different apps and finding different problems with each is much less time- and money-consuming than swapping between different player devices and finding different problems with each.
2. If no gapless on your songs (I've sent your songs to our devs for analysis; their usual test songs are gapless for them) is a showstopper for you, chances of other apps being an improvement over HiByMusic is high. Heck, if a FiiO already works for you in this regard, you can just install FiiO Music on the R5.
3. If on the other hand you reckon that you'll find the same amount of problems no matter which app you switch to, I'm pleased that you effectively reckon that our app is as good as any out there :)

In the meantime, our devs are looking into the problem. I don't expect a quick solution--for all I know, it may be days before we can reproduce the problem even using the same tracks on another R5...

The much lauded hiby mseb equalizer figured prominently into my decision to choose R5. So switch apps and lose this functionality. A tradeoff in which I lose something exceptional, proprietary even, to obtain something basic, ie gapless playback. I find it surprising you recommend this, especially as someone who ostensibly represents hiby products. Also, you’re third remark makes for a pleasing bit of logical argument but really misses the mark as far as addressing the issue is considered.

Nov 12, 2019 at 10:18 AM Post #1,297 of 4,418
AM Dew
I get gapless on the R3. I was looking to upgrade to the R5.
Isn't this a choice in the main menu? Never seen one in person so I don't know.
Without gapless GD is rendered unlistenable, I agree.
Good luck.

Hi. Thanks for understanding. Yes gapless is an option in main (Hiby music app) menu. I’ve toggled it on/off without remedy. Yes, GD does become unlistenable. If it gets resolved I will confirm GD is back on the menu!

Nov 12, 2019 at 9:18 PM Post #1,298 of 4,418
The much lauded hiby mseb equalizer figured prominently into my decision to choose R5. So switch apps and lose this functionality. A tradeoff in which I lose something exceptional, proprietary even, to obtain something basic, ie gapless playback. I find it surprising you recommend this, especially as someone who ostensibly represents hiby products. Also, you’re third remark makes for a pleasing bit of logical argument but really misses the mark as far as addressing the issue is considered.
Well you'll get no argument from me that MSEB would be a terrible thing to lose from the system, seeing as it's partly my brainchild :ksc75smile:

In that case, we're looking into your problem from both directions right now.

:santa:

Nov 13, 2019 at 2:41 AM Post #1,299 of 4,418
@morndewey as I feared (?), even with your sample tracks our R5s play perfectly gaplessly. You would have to provide more details about how you are using our player and playing your songs for us to attempt to replicate the exact conditions under which gaps occur. For example:
What firmware version are you on?
Are you using Bluetooth earphones? Of so which ones?
What are the settings of your HiByMusic app? Other than the gapless switch?

-Joe

Nov 13, 2019 at 11:46 AM Post #1,300 of 4,418
@morndewey as I feared (?), even with your sample tracks our R5s play perfectly gaplessly. You would have to provide more details about how you are using our player and playing your songs for us to attempt to replicate the exact conditions under which gaps occur. For example:
What firmware version are you on?
Are you using Bluetooth earphones? Of so which ones?
What are the settings of your HiByMusic app? Other than the gapless switch?

-Joe
Hi Joe. Thanks for examining the tracks I dropped. So yeah gapless transition issues occur constantly during Bluetooth use to book shelf speakers, and sporadically when using wired iems. I am using latest firmware. I updated yesterday just to be sure.
What other settings would you like info on?

Nov 13, 2019 at 2:02 PM Post #1,301 of 4,418
I have gapless on and both on line out and with headphones or IEM's gapless has never worked- there's always an appx 1 second gap between songs. I listened to 2 live recordings on the way to work and neither played properly. Of course it doesn't bother me but I'm certain it will other folks.

Nov 14, 2019 at 2:42 AM Post #1,302 of 4,418
Hi Joe. Thanks for examining the tracks I dropped. So yeah gapless transition issues occur constantly during Bluetooth use to book shelf speakers, and sporadically when using wired iems. I am using latest firmware. I updated yesterday just to be sure.
What other settings would you like info on?
Thanks.
Do you know what Bluetooth codec the speakers are connecting by?
How long are the gaps? On Bluetooth? On wired?
If after a track transition you go back to the end of the previous track, does the gap in the transition still occur again? On Bluetooth? On wired?

Thanks.

Nov 14, 2019 at 6:53 AM Post #1,303 of 4,418
Thanks.
Do you know what Bluetooth codec the speakers are connecting by?
How long are the gaps? On Bluetooth? On wired?
If after a track transition you go back to the end of the previous track, does the gap in the transition still occur again? On Bluetooth? On wired?

Thanks.
AptX for my speakers. Gaps last for a moment using Bluetooth, and are fully audible. Reversing to point just before track transition, in Bluetooth, does not effect emergence of gap.
When wired, reversing to point just before gap sometimes causes transition to play gaplessly.

Nov 14, 2019 at 6:33 PM Post #1,304 of 4,418
Well, yesterday it seems the screen of my R5 has quit functioning. I had it on my backpack and the player doesn't seem to have any sort of exterior damage. I wonder if something got disconnected inside with movement. Or maybe I left it unlocked and with some random random button presses inside my backpack the software permanently disabled it?
Anyway, it seems to be way more fragile than it appears to, so be careful.

Nov 14, 2019 at 6:54 PM Post #1,305 of 4,418
Well, yesterday it seems the screen of my R5 has quit functioning. I had it on my backpack and the player doesn't seem to have any sort of exterior damage. I wonder if something got disconnected inside with movement. Or maybe I left it unlocked and with some random random button presses inside my backpack the software permanently disabled it?
Anyway, it seems to be way more fragile than it appears to, so be careful.
The display seems to be quite fragile to me also, yes. Got some issues like the touch point is a bit off the point where I really touch the screen.. So I need to touch next to a button except from onto the button. This started today, I have it for a couple of weeks now. But I am not sure if it is a new issue or if it occurs because of the smearing effect I described before.
After all I start to be quite disappointed

Users who are viewing this thread

Back