R5, a new Android DAP by Hiby
Oct 10, 2019 at 1:50 PM Post #976 of 4,418
Interesting could you please elaborate on the sound part, even though i bought R5 i have always been interested in this comparison as lot of reviewers say that sound of dx160 is similar to that of dx220(even some comparing it to amp8)

True on software part i had dx120 pure dap and it kinda lagged little slow, R5 runs smooth running neutron with full 10 band peq and dsd converstion anything no lags what so ever
The imaging is good. They’re both are good in sound. But to me R5 just sounds right. Hard to explain

Oct 10, 2019 at 7:01 PM Post #978 of 4,418
I've had the R5 for almost a week now, and been listening to it with my Campfire Atlas, both 3.5mm and 4.4mm. Coming from the Chord Mojo, Hiby R3 and Fiio M11, I have to say that this is an incredible package when it comes to SQ, flexibility, form factor and price point.

Haven't listened to the Mojo since getting the R5 but I'm not missing it. For daily listening, SQ is on par with the Mojo I feel, but it's much better in terms of convenience. There are probably situations (eg. critical listening) and aspects where the Mojo is better, but I'm not missing the Mojo for daily casual listening so far, which wasn't the case for the R3 or M11.

The R5 is a very nice step up from the R3, and is definitely better and more enjoyable than the M11 with my Atlas. To be fair, I haven't been impressed or happy with the M11: the bass is underwhelming, the sound lacks oomph and it isn't very exciting. Not sure why people praise the M11 so much. For $399, the R5 whoops the M11 hands-down.

I'm curious about the DX160, but the combination of R5 and Atlas is perfect for my needs. R5+Atlas+UAPP = portable audio greatness

Oct 10, 2019 at 10:35 PM Post #979 of 4,418
The R5 + Neutron + the HD660S = bliss

Oct 11, 2019 at 5:07 AM Post #980 of 4,418
00100dPORTRAIT_00100_BURST20191011170036435_COVER.jpg

Has been thoroughly enjoying the R5 as well. Especially with Neutron with 64 bit processing and "All to DSD". Has anyone managed to have both 64 bit processing and All to DSD128 turned on at the same time. I suspect it's a limitation of the CPU but music will start stuttering on mine.

Oct 11, 2019 at 5:13 AM Post #981 of 4,418

Has been thoroughly enjoying the R5 as well. Especially with Neutron with 64 bit processing and "All to DSD". Has anyone managed to have both 64 bit processing and All to DSD128 turned on at the same time. I suspect it's a limitation of the CPU but music will start stuttering on mine.

Hey.. Sorry for not giving the answer you were looking for, I have not tried that.

Just wanted to say, great taste in music :L3000::metal:

Last edited:
Oct 11, 2019 at 5:28 AM Post #982 of 4,418
Hey.. Sorry for not giving the answer you were looking for, I have not tried that.

Just wanted to say, great taste in music :L3000::metal:

Thanks! IA tracks are my go-to when testing iems and DAPs. The R5 is doing splendidly in this aspect. Blast beats are rendered beautiful, soundstage is deep and never gets congested no matter how chaotic it gets. Highly recommend you give Neutron (with 64 bits processing and all to dsd) a shot on the r5 if you have not done so.:metal:

Oct 11, 2019 at 5:51 AM Post #983 of 4,418
Thanks! IA tracks are my go-to when testing iems and DAPs. The R5 is doing splendidly in this aspect. Blast beats are rendered beautiful, soundstage is deep and never gets congested no matter how chaotic it gets. Highly recommend you give Neutron (with 64 bits processing and all to dsd) a shot on the r5 if you have not done so.:metal:
I mostly use the R5 for streaming, what is not supported by neutron, right?
But I am currently working on my collection of flac files, to Include newer albums and fill gaps
I will compare neutron then to uapp and hiby music pro.
I heard lots of great stuff about neutron

Oct 11, 2019 at 5:58 AM Post #984 of 4,418
I mostly use the R5 for streaming, what is not supported by neutron, right?
But I am currently working on my collection of flac files, to Include newer albums and fill gaps
I will compare neutron then to uapp and hiby music pro.
I heard lots of great stuff about neutron
I hope the replacement R5 arrives soon :L3000:

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
Oct 11, 2019 at 6:37 AM Post #985 of 4,418
I hope the replacement R5 arrives soon :L3000:
I am really looking forward to that tested, well working R5 :) The defective one should arrive today.
Thanks Joe for all your support and also the support of the Hiby Team in that case.

btw, nice story.. The issues I had and your support convinced 2 colleagues of mine to buy an R5 also.
I showed them my device and they were hyped for it but said "nah,.. if you have issues you wont get support from china".

Well.. as I said.. they are convinced now and are going to order theirs :)
Good support rules!

Edit: I dont want to create a new post for that. Is there a way to request features officially?
I recalled the Neutron Crossfeed feature now and remember that I requested this for the R3, but it never came.
Can wen have this for the R5? thats such a great feature for Headphones and makes the musical experience so much greater if it is well set up.

for reference: http://neutronmp.com/feature_crossfeed

Last edited:
Oct 11, 2019 at 7:54 AM Post #986 of 4,418
I am really looking forward to that tested, well working R5 :) The defective one should arrive today.
Thanks Joe for all your support and also the support of the Hiby Team in that case.

btw, nice story.. The issues I had and your support convinced 2 colleagues of mine to buy an R5 also.
I showed them my device and they were hyped for it but said "nah,.. if you have issues you wont get support from china".

Well.. as I said.. they are convinced now and are going to order theirs :)
Good support rules!

Edit: I dont want to create a new post for that. Is there a way to request features officially?
I recalled the Neutron Crossfeed feature now and remember that I requested this for the R3, but it never came.
Can wen have this for the R5? thats such a great feature for Headphones and makes the musical experience so much greater if it is well set up.

for reference: http://neutronmp.com/feature_crossfeed

Glad you're getting taken care of! It's a big advantage to be able to relay problems directly to a company rep. But service is very important and it instills confidence that if everything goes to crap, you'll be taken care of.

And Neutron is very cool and presents the sound differently than the other apps, almost more analog sounding, plus the peq is brilliant.

Was listening to some Steely Dan yesterday and man the R5 continues to impress.

Oct 11, 2019 at 1:20 PM Post #987 of 4,418
I'm curious about the DX160, but the combination of R5 and Atlas is perfect for my needs. R5+Atlas+UAPP = portable audio greatness

R5 just gets better with more burn-in. With yesterday's update of the Hiby Music App for R5 + R6+R6Pro.The DAP has much wider+more depth to my ears with Audiosense T800 and BGVP DMG's on slow+low latency filter.:L3000: This is with zero EQ or MSEB

To update.force-stop Hiby music app and reboot the APP while connected to WIFI...it should look for the latest update direct from Hiby, not play store.

In the "About" section of the music app, It should say 1.4.2Beta after the update. We can now check for App updates directly from Hiby music app as of 1.4.2Beta.

Last edited:
Oct 11, 2019 at 1:46 PM Post #988 of 4,418
R5 just gets better with more burn-in. With yesterday's update of the Hiby Music App for R5 + R6+R6Pro.The DAP has much wider+more depth to my ears with Audiosense T800 and BGVP DMG's on slow+low latency filter.:L3000:

To update.force-stop Hiby music app and reboot the APP while connected to WIFI...it should look for the latest update direct from Hiby, not play store.

In the "About" section of the music app, It should say 1.4.2Beta after the update. We can now check for App updates directly from Hiby music app as of 1.4.2Beta.

I thought I was tripping, mine updated yesterday and I swore it sounded even more expansive.

Thanks for confirming I'm not looney :) Well at least when it comes to sound :wink:

Oct 11, 2019 at 2:08 PM Post #989 of 4,418
I thought I was tripping, mine updated yesterday and I swore it sounded even more expansive.

Thanks for confirming I'm not looney :) Well at least when it comes to sound :wink:

lol yeah.I'm OCD so I noticed the difference right away.I personally prefer the Hiby app with no effects turned on. Neutron, UAPP, fiio Music etc don't have that depth like the Hiby Music App.

Hiby must be checking some extra boxes just for themselves.

I'm so happy I bought this.

Oct 11, 2019 at 2:21 PM Post #990 of 4,418
lol yeah.I'm OCD so I noticed the difference right away.I personally prefer the Hiby app with no effects turned on. Neutron, UAPP, fiio Music etc don't have that depth like the Hiby Music App.

Hiby must be checking some extra boxes just for themselves.

I'm so happy I bought this.

It's weird because I rebooted my r5 yesterday for the first time in a while and this update happened and I turned off mseb to see if they're was any change- just had very small adjustments to get a but more width out of it, which kind of kills the depth a bit.

Anyways it sounded wider than with the mseb, and I was like wow. Of course the depth is amazing also. This is as wide as anything I've heard now, but with incredible depth.

I had sr15 with the same dacs, and this sounds so much Bigger and defined. It's really not the dacs that matter, but the ouput stage and the LPF.- drivers. Of course the increased power helps too.

Good job Hiby. You have a silly name but this thing rocks!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back